User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
hillbillypolack OP
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,681
New (to us) house - cold weather making popping noises in cold weather

New house as many of you know is giving me fits. Built in 1997, this POS was put together by a bunch of untrained chimpanzees.

Regardless, it's 1F outside, and probably will be colder by morning. The roof or areas in the upper bedrooms makes a noise that sounds like a loud pop or a crack. Nearly as loud as someone hitting a stud with a hammer.

Went outside and checked the roof for cracked shingles / open areas thinking a truss was giving way. Back inside again, another pop came from the other side of the house.

I understand the expansion & contraction of materials, but does this sound familiar or normal?

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,264
Yes.

-Grew up in a house from 1900 on the coast of Maine

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #3
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,357
Sister's house is about 125 years old and sure cracks....pops...and everything else in between. Not insulated very well....!

Other sister's house, old schoolhouse also 125 years old is almost scary for the loud crackings. Not much insulation and what's there hasn't been blown in very well, I even brought the borescope over to have a look where I could, nothing good.

Family home back then....50 years old and sure popped a lot. Again not insulated well.

My log house is quiet...almost 100 years old and well insulated.

Bring in someone with a thermal imaging setup, you'll see in colors where they screwed up insulating.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
hillbillypolack OP
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,681
Like I said, this house doesn't give me much confidence seeing as how its assembled otherwise.

But since it was made in 1997, I'm at least hoping it has better structure than a 100 year old house. . .

Seems a quick Google search shows it's not uncommon and happens in extreme cold and when the weather swings from warmer moist to frigid and dry.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 20,954
Normal. Mine is 114 years old and fairly well settled, and it sounds like a bowl of rice krispies when it gets really cold.

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
With newer construction it's very common for them to use "green" wood and seal up wet lumber because they're on a timeline.

I suspect you're dealing with a moisture related issue more than sounds caused by swings in temperature.
Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
RideThePig
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Yup, normal stuff.

I used to wake up in the night wondering "what the hell was that noise?" pretty often. 100 year old farmhouse. Happens even more now that we had a whole new foundation poured. I suppose it will still be popping and cracking in another 100 years. As Guy Clark sings, it's just the house settling down after holding itself up all day.
RideThePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,753
I get it here too in extreme cold, say -30c. My house was built in 2006 and it is well made. It's just the materials freezing and the letting go. Nothing to be concerned about.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:36 AM   #9
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,321
Mine was built in 1944, a mix of native lumber and kiln dried. It only pops when it gets below zero like the last few days.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:33 AM   #10
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,135
In 2000 we built our own home from a log home kit. No noise from the home itself but the back deck (uncovered) makes all kind of loud snapping sounds when the temperature drops radically. Sounds like small arms gunfire.

So yours sounds pretty normal, especially if you have a cold roof- that is the insulation is in the top floor ceiling and not in the roof itself.

-or-

your house is haunted
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:39 AM   #11
shakeybone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
happens in my house built in the 1980,s.
shakeybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #12
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
that place is hainted! get out while your still alive...
seriously, that's what wooden buildings do in temp extremes-materials move.
the comment about the new house being better built than an old one-depends on who built what & how, not age based!
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #13
Proveick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
All materials expand and contract, not worries. Try living in a new log home. The logs "check" and you'll jump out of bed.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #14
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
If the pop is a light one and only heard, not felt, it's likely your siding--usually vinyl but also metal--expanding/contracting. If it's a heavier pop and can occasionally be felt, it's the wall studs or roof trusses/rafters moving relative to the sheeting. Not a problem unless the movement is severe enough to admit water/weather.
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #15
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proveick View Post
All materials expand and contract, not worries. Try living in a new log home. The logs "check" and you'll jump out of bed.
If built from green logs vs. dead standing(as common in the west) a log house(mine is SYP from the KY woods- not a kit) dries for ~6-10 yrs and walls will settle ~ 3-4" in height. Thats why headspace is built into door & window openings & allowed for. The 100 penny,12" nails in my walls were pre-drilled by yours truly to allow this to happen more easily. I suppose mine has quieted down since 1979-80 when I built it?
My timber frame addition is 6 yrs old and still "noisy".
Even "dry" wood moves-ask any woodworker. thats why good joints in cabinetry allows for movement.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote