Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
Bounder OP
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 616
Best adhesive for PU/Rubber shoe sole

Need some advice on shoe adhesive.
I bought a pair of Goretex hush puppies, After 4 days of wear the rubber blocks glued to the PU midsole started to peel off.
I complained to the store and sent the shoes back for a full refund,
The guy in the store said that if I wanted the old shoes back I could have them as they were in as new condition and could be fixed with the right adhesive.
The rubber blocks seem to have been stuck on woth some kind of contact adhesive that has gone brittle from
Now I have used shoe goo to fix stuff but in this case I am not sure it would work being too thick.
So learned adhesive guru's which adhesive would you recommend?
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,938
Shoe Goo is what I would try. http://eclecticproducts.com/shoegoo.htm I don't know if you can find it in Ireland

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Get some Polyurethane construction adhesive. Lepage PL something for decks and subfloors.

Do you want to know what the cobbler's secret is for them hard to bind soles? Some are hard to bond, if not impossible with regular contact/barge type cements.

My friend the cobbler wouldn't really tell me.....kind of pried it out of him after pointing at his chemicals. Industrial strenght Cyanocrylate aka Krazy Glue. He buys it by the case, never had a return for regluing since.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,131
Not sure about over the pond, but here in the states there is a product still available called Barge Cement. This product is typically used on leather, but works very well on shoe soles. This is a contact cement, containing neoprene rubber dissolved in toluene.

If you can find a similar rubber contact cement then it should work. A good cement for shoe repair will be contact cement, effectively of the same basic type (i.e. neoprene rubber dissolved in a solvent). Leather work shops and shoe repair places sell this type of adhesive. Barge used to sell an individual bright yellow metal tube ~ 30 grams that was good for such a repair. Now, all I have seen is the larger cans that professionals use. For some reason, Barge changed the formula for retail sales to an inferior product in a blue tube because of toluene (glue sniffers?).

Also, shoe goo - which is a urethane rubber - can be thinned with toluene. However, getting toluene may be difficult. Thinned shoe goo can be used as a contact cement with excellent results. Good luck!
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
My friend the cobbler wouldn't really tell me.....kind of pried it out of him after pointing at his chemicals. Industrial strenght Cyanocrylate aka Krazy Glue. He buys it by the case, never had a return for regluing since.
Cyanoacrylate isn't flexible, so I don't think it's a good adhesive for shoe parts that bend. Maybe it would work to reattach a heel lift, but I would avoid it.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Cyanoacrylate isn't flexible, so I don't think it's a good adhesive for shoe parts that bend. Maybe it would work to reattach a heel lift, but I would avoid it.
If you want to argue with the good cobblers I'll dig up their suppliers. It is out there to find and so are the product application sheets/specs. Been there a couple years back, no need to do it again.

Just a quick googleing: "and a new range of cyanoacrylates that are modified to make them more flexible but with higher curing times (flexible cyanoacrylate)."

How about a consumer available name brand:
http://misterglue.com/cobblers-glue/

Barge/contact cement will not work long term on some types of soles without a lot of prep. Too bad them boots are under the snow otherwise I'd show.

Mind you I'd be tempted to try that "new to me" 3m Adhesive I just bought, but at over $30.00 a can I'll save it for better purposes.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
Lomez
Yea...Sunday too

Oddometer: 217
Shoe Goo, Amazing Goop or Automotive Goop (I think...but am not certain, they are the same thing). However, pretty much anything used to "fix" a shoe is going to fail, in my experience. Too many cycles to be anything even close to a permanent fix. That's my experience anyway.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
Fuzzy Wrench
Pick Your Tool

Oddometer: 5
perhaps even more important than the bonding agent is applying pressure, either in a vise with your shoes filled with newspaper or with what cobblers call lasts or a sole shaped extension that presses inside the shoe... when I do my boots, they get wrapped with tape and then the vise, overnight..
Fuzzy Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,999
Any of you guys ever tried Freesole? It's from Mcnett, I would recommend it.

I have tried some of the other stuff mentioned, not too impressed.

You'll have to find a good camping/hiking store for it or order online.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
rodsbrick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Seam grip

Another product from McNett is Seam Grip adhesive. It would require clamping but it will secure the lugs and it's flexible,waterproof and super strong. I've used it for shoe soles, pant seams and host of household and garage fixes.
Great product
Old 01-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #11
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Here's the industry secret...

Most shoe soles, leather, natural rubber etc. are done with Barge - but Barge and PU are not friendly.

In these instances the best adhesives are:

Renia Ortek

OR

Barge Infinity - With the PU Primer

OR

CA glues... As mentioned these are not flexible glues - so what I usually do is scuff up the rubber, then apply CA and set it aside, once that cures I scuff the CA with sand paper, and then use regular barge to stick it back.

I'm not a shoe repair guru - I just cut people's shoes apart to attach braces to them, and often get bad shoes.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
Bounder OP
ExternallyDisplaced

Some great info here, I'll have to see what is available on this side of the ditch, not all glues are available here.
Is Barge a kind of contact cement?
edit: I googled it and saw it on ebay.
I can buy a quart of the yellow label stuff but the shipping is more than the product!

Bounder screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 12:48 PM
Old 01-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
MotorradMike
MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Get some Polyurethane construction adhesive. Lepage PL something for decks and subfloors.
Can you get Gorilla glue easily?
Polyurethane adhesive.
It works, be careful not to use too much, it expands.

BMW R1100RS
MotorradMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
Bounder OP
ExternallyDisplaced

Yes, I have some gorilla glue here, You think that will work on rubber?
I usually use it on wood and always thought of it as a rigid type of glue not flexible.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
Some great info here, I'll have to see what is available on this side of the ditch, not all glues are available here.
Is Barge a kind of contact cement?
edit: I googled it and saw it on ebay.
I can buy a quart of the yellow label stuff but the shipping is more than the product!

Yellow isn't the right one either. THat's the basics that is great for leather/crepe.... not so good the PU.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote