Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #16
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
Compared to any bike I've ridden for more than 100 miles. My TL1000S never gives me grief cept for my neck after a long day. My tiny cramped ZR550 riding two up get's bad after a while but it's at least twice as tolerable as the XR. I've ridden a Hypermotard 1100S for hours across bumpy city roads and wasn't nearly as wrecked. Even my XL600R can take me around all day and only on the ride home does the seat start to wear on me. But that XR seat was positively terrible. I went out for a day ride and half way to the start my ass was starting to hurt. I did about 250 miles and I was standing on the pegs to get home. I think it's the sitting straight up riding position and the not so soft suspension maybe. I'm betting a set of low bars would be the ticket for that bike. I'm long armed so I prefer low bars anyway.
Love the TL1000S.

The good thing about the peg position on the XR is that it allows you to stand up. . I think I did a 10 mile stretch that way a couple months ago...

I'm buying an aftermarket seat this spring/summer when I've got some money to throw at the bike, or may try one of Barb's Butt Pads as an interim solution (it worked well with the equally awful BMW "low" seat on my GS)

Other than that I've been really happy with the bike.

I'm fine touring on it, but for 2-up, I'm gonna need another bike since the back seat isn't suitable for anyone you care about for anything more than local joyriding.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #17
argentcorvid
Some Guy

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
My brother had one and I have a Ulysses. They are both a blast.
you take that back
argentcorvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:22 AM   #18
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by argentcorvid View Post
I see what you did there...
Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #19
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,795
Power isn't a big deal on the XR.
There are truckloads of parts you can buy for it to get more power just about anywhere in the rev range you want.

The basic platform is great. Any bike needs to be fit to a rider, so I wouldn't sweat the griping about tripworthiness so much.

It does take some grit to tour with it, but that's why they make Goldwings and 883's, and touring accessories for both.

I love the XR12. I haven't yet met anyone who has a legitimate gripe other than mechanical failure that couldn't be addressed with $ and smarts.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
mikeysduck
Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer: 220
My XR1200 is a "fun" bike. Not the lightest on its feet. I think it's made to roll around the back roads. It just feels good. Freeway no problem. It's not my first choice to chase around canyon roads, at speed. It's more of a mellow 8/10's pace thing. It will go faster but you have to work it.

My biggest gripe is the small fuel tank. You'll get around 120 mi. per fill up. I keep gas cans in the garage for emergency generator needs. Like the earthquakes that pop up every 10 or 20 years. I use this (premium) fuel to top off the XR every time I leave the garage. It helps keep my emergency fuel supply fresh.

Keep the primary chain adjusted (simple) and the shifting is fine. Let the primary chain get out adjustment and shifting gets clunky.

The XR is a modern (?) bike that looks good sitting still, and better in motion. It's my first choice when the weather is nice, and I don't want to carry anything.

14 R1200RT 09 KTM 450 EXCR 75 Norton 850 E-Start It's going to run. I swear! 69 Z-50A Mini Trail with Lights 03 GasGas 280 Pro 03 CRF 230
mikeysduck is online now   Reply With Quote