ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
D0dja OP
Sandwurm
 
D0dja's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 36
Eek Replacing KTM 640 Adventure head gasket ... guidance?

I'm pretty sure the head gasket has gone on my 2002 640 Adventure -- coolant vanishes if I push it hard and get an insta-overheat; also bubbles rising in radiator with cap off.

Is there a way to check if it's head or base gasket?

I'm looking at doing the head gasket myself - there's very little info on this topic (unless I missed it in search?). Is it relatively straightforward (have a copy of factory manual) ... what's the chance of warped head? Should I leave this to a workshop?

I generally work on my bike myself, but not done something this major. I have also had LOTS of really miserable experiences with agents, workshops, etc, so would prefer to do it myself.

I recently replaced the seals on the water pump shaft and resealed tappet cover, which fixed the one coolant disappearing problem (and mayonnaise in oil) and a oozing oil leak.
__________________
-- Ride it hard! Harder! HARDER! --
D0dja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper
 
gunnerbuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: N.V.I, B.C.
Oddometer: 3,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by D0dja View Post
I'm pretty sure the head gasket has gone on my 2002 640 Adventure -- coolant vanishes if I push it hard and get an insta-overheat; also bubbles rising in radiator with cap off.

Is there a way to check if it's head or base gasket?

I'm looking at doing the head gasket myself - there's very little info on this topic (unless I missed it in search?). Is it relatively straightforward (have a copy of factory manual) ... what's the chance of warped head? Should I leave this to a workshop?

I generally work on my bike myself, but not done something this major. I have also had LOTS of really miserable experiences with agents, workshops, etc, so would prefer to do it myself.



I recently replaced the seals on the water pump shaft and resealed tappet cover, which fixed the one coolant disappearing problem (and mayonnaise in oil) and a oozing oil leak.
If a gasket is leaking, it can only be the head gasket, as the base gasket does not seal the water jacket... You can pressure test the system before you remove the head by blocking off the lower rad to block tube and then make an air filler plug to bolt over the thermostat fitting above the spark plug... You can add 50lbs pressure into the block and see if it holds for a while... If it does hold then your leak is outside of the cylinder waterjacket, either at the waterpump, rad or hose fittings...

If the leak is found within the water jacket then it will either be a faulty gasket or a cracked cylinder/head...


This thread will give you an idea of how to pressure test: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405073

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 02:02 PM
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
D0dja OP
Sandwurm
 
D0dja's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 36
Great, thanks for the feedback.

Will try talk a nearby bike shop into testing it for me (in exchange I'll buy more tyres and a new chain from them :) )

I recently relocated and now living in an apartment so don't have a workshop to fabricate things. Going to have to strip the engine in the garage at my girlfriend's place. Sigh.

The alternative is having the local bike shop do it - they have good rep, but I talked to the mech and he has not worked on the 640 much (they mostly do dirtbikes), And I'm a bit anal about how stuff is out together. Prob cost around $200 labour. Hrmmmm.
__________________
-- Ride it hard! Harder! HARDER! --
D0dja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
D0dja OP
Sandwurm
 
D0dja's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 36
Bluhduh

I stripped the head and replaced the gasket. Problem not solved.

Pulled head off again.

There's a crack across exhaust ports right down to the valve stem seals. Unfixable,

I'm not a happy bunny.
__________________
-- Ride it hard! Harder! HARDER! --
D0dja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kawidad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Central Coast, Cal
Oddometer: 4,548
Ouch!
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
(Who watches the watchers)
Kawidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Cloverdale
Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by D0dja View Post
I stripped the head and replaced the gasket. Problem not solved.

Pulled head off again.

There's a crack across exhaust ports right down to the valve stem seals. Unfixable,

I'm not a happy bunny.

Are you sure it's not repariable??

Have you taken it to a good welder? Some of the welders are amazing what they can do.

Good luck.
__________________
HP2 Sport, R1200S, R100S, KTM 640 Adventure, KTM 520 EXC/Motard, Yamaha RZ350, Hodaka 125 Wombat
Droptarotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
D0dja OP
Sandwurm
 
D0dja's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Are you sure it's not repariable??

Have you taken it to a good welder? Some of the welders are amazing what they can do.

Good luck.
I took it to a guy who's apparently very good, does all the repair work for one of the Kawasaki racing teams, has a good rep.

Recons it's cracked right to the valve stem seals, so can't even get in there.

Have a lead on a second hand head...
__________________
-- Ride it hard! Harder! HARDER! --
D0dja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
vilecon
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Oddometer: 69
KTM 640 Adventure 2005 Head Gasket

Hello everybody, I am repairing the entire engine of my KTM 640 Adventure myself and I thank you all at advrider for your help.
I have a doubt.. do you think I should use silicone on the cylinder gasket and head gasket?
Look at the picture.
Regards:
Jose from the Andes in Peru.
vilecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
vilecon
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Oddometer: 69
vilecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #10
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper
 
gunnerbuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: N.V.I, B.C.
Oddometer: 3,806
Do not use any kind of sealant on the head gasket...

The manual calls for use of a 1211 type sealant just on the narrow part of the base gasket around the cam chain tunnel...
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #11
vilecon
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Oddometer: 69
Thak you very much Gunnerbuck.

So.. I have to use sealant only on the narrow part of the cylinder gasket?
The narrow part means all the tunnel or only the narrow inside part? becuse all the outside of the gasket have a indent (notched) so that no oil leak.
vilecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #12
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper
 
gunnerbuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: N.V.I, B.C.
Oddometer: 3,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilecon View Post
Thak you very much Gunnerbuck.

So.. I have to use sealant only on the narrow part of the cylinder gasket?
The narrow part means all the tunnel or only the narrow inside part? becuse all the outside of the gasket have a indent (notched) so that no oil leak.
Just on the outside of the gasket
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:58 PM   #13
vilecon
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Oddometer: 69
Thank you very much!!! Nice country Island... I was living seven years in Norway.
vilecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:52 PM   #14
kveldulv
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Just on the outside of the gasket
That's interesting. You're saying just in the area I've shaded green?

I had interpreted the service manual instructions ("apply sealant to the sections near the chain tunnel") to literally mean all around (both the green and yellow areas). When I removed mine, the factory installed gasket showed sealant mainly in the yellow area, and little evidence of anything in the green area. I think I still have my old gasket, so I might double-check.

kveldulv screwed with this post 03-30-2014 at 04:35 PM Reason: typo
kveldulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #15
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper
 
gunnerbuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: N.V.I, B.C.
Oddometer: 3,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by kveldulv View Post
That's interesting. You're saying just in the area I've shaded green?

I had interpreted the service manual instructions ("apply sealant to the sections near the chain tunnel") to literally mean all around (both the green and yellow areas). When I removed mine, the factory installed gasket showed sealant mainly in the yellow area, and little evidence of anything in the green area. I think I still have my old gasket, so I might double-check.
The yellow area seals the crankcase from the gearbox so anything that weeps through that area stays within the confines of the engine ... The green area has been a problem area on some bikes from back when they used paper base gaskets... A bit of sealant on the yellow area shouldn't hurt things, but in my mind the green area is of more importance...
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014