User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
RFVC600R OP
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,058
2004 Ford Focus Griding/rattling noise

I have returned with another problem on my cage.

When I engage the clutch to drive, I can hear a grinding/rattling/bad bearing noise coming from the bottom right of my car. It goes away when I get into 4th/35mph. I tried to look to see if anything is wrong under there but everything looks great! I researched online and I'm getting everything from bad motor mounts to CV joints and wheel bearings. Any ideas?? CV looks good, the wheel bearings don't have any play. I would think its my clutch but I only got 58k on the odo and the tranny and such is on the left side. I don't wanna go replacing a bunch of parts til its fixed...

RIDE RED!

RFVC600R screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 06:57 PM
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
RFVC600R OP
SAND EATER!

BTW motor mounts were changed 8k miles ago

RIDE RED!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,153
Does it only make the sound when you are moving, or does it do it in neutral when you let out the clutch? Does it do it in reverse?

Is there a transmission shop nearby you could drive to and show someone, that will probably be the best option right now. It could be as simple as worn brake pads, but best to have a mechanic peek at it.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:38 AM   #4
RFVC600R OP
SAND EATER!

It's only when I roll off the clutch to drive, and it doesn't make the noise in reverse either. I got a friend who is a mechanic for the army to look at it tomorrow, hopefully he will know so I don't have to shell out no money.

RIDE RED!
Old 06-14-2013, 03:09 AM   #5
GreenF350
n00b

Oddometer: 3
It's very hard to describe/understand sounds without hearing them in person, but one quick, easy and common thing to check is all of the exhaust shields. They often make a metallic rattling that might be mistaken for a grinding noise if one or more of the spot welds come loose or they start to rust out. They can make noise in some very unusual or isolated situations too. (Such as accelleration at a specific RPM, when releasing the clutch, decel at a specific rpm, certain temps like when the exhaust is cold/warm, etc.)

If that's the case....most shops will just take the heat shield off and there are no noticeable side effects (I have done it numerous times on my own vehicles as well), but it could be tacked back on if you really wanted (Usually what my parents do, despite me advising them otherwise).
-Aaron

GreenF350 screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 03:11 AM Reason: Additional info
GreenF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenF350 View Post
It's very hard to describe/understand sounds without hearing them in person, but one quick, easy and common thing to check is all of the exhaust shields. They often make a metallic rattling that might be mistaken for a grinding noise if one or more of the spot welds come loose or they start to rust out. They can make noise in some very unusual or isolated situations too. (Such as accelleration at a specific RPM, when releasing the clutch, decel at a specific rpm, certain temps like when the exhaust is cold/warm, etc.)

If that's the case....most shops will just take the heat shield off and there are no noticeable side effects (I have done it numerous times on my own vehicles as well), but it could be tacked back on if you really wanted (Usually what my parents do, despite me advising them otherwise).
-Aaron
My focus (01) makes a grinding type noise and its the heat shield for the exhuast manifold.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,043
Tons of Focii also had problems with the front strut springs breaking. You can get all sorts of strange noises and issues if the car is sitting funny on a broken spring.

Just something that's worth a look -- my bet is actually on an exhaust heat shield. Simple and pretty harmless.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote