User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
MPH OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
LED Worklight

Happy Birthday to me, and along with that, came a gift card or two, that I'd like to turn into a pretty good LED worklight. I think I'd like to have one of the "flatter" ones, but it needs to have darn-good light output level and pattern.

What are you guys using and how do you like it?

TIA, Mark
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,516

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,183
I have one of these. Nothing particularly special, but it's light, fits in the tool bag easily, and holds a charge for a long time. They have brighter model with a magnetic base, too.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
dennism
dennism

Oddometer: 156
Worklight

Before you get one of those super LED worklights, get yourself a simple headlamp, one with an elastic strap to wear on your forehead, and runs on three AAA batteries.

I found several at WallyWorld, in the camping department.....cheap.

After I tried it, I went back and bought another, to put in the bike toolkit, just in case.

I bought one with three light modes, there are others there with just a spot beam, which I've since learned is all you need.

When the hand LED lamp I have breaks, I will not have another.
dennism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
Bad Daddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennism View Post
Before you get one of those super LED worklights, get yourself a simple headlamp, one with an elastic strap to wear on your forehead, and runs on three AAA batteries.

I found several at WallyWorld, in the camping department.....cheap.

After I tried it, I went back and bought another, to put in the bike toolkit, just in case.

I bought one with three light modes, there are others there with just a spot beam, which I've since learned is all you need.

When the hand LED lamp I have breaks, I will not have another.
I have one too, from petzl. Used it for many years sledding, now use it anytime ime in the garage, attic working on the bike, etc. highly recommended.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,077
A battery-powered headlamp is great for those times when you need a little light for a little while and need both hands free, but there are times when you need a lot of light for a long time over a larger area and for that you want a corded light.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:54 AM   #7
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
Happy Birthday to me, and along with that, came a gift card or two, that I'd like to turn into a pretty good LED worklight. I think I'd like to have one of the "flatter" ones, but it needs to have darn-good light output level and pattern.

What are you guys using and how do you like it?

TIA, Mark
What I did was turn one of those cheap and nasty halogen lamp stands into something useful by buying a couple of eBay LED floodlamps and replacing the halogens. I used 10w - all that was affordable at the time, 20 or 30w should be more than enough (to light a football field)

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:34 AM   #8
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
...a pretty good LED worklight. I think I'd like to have one of the "flatter" ones, but it needs to have darn-good light output level and pattern.
Some folk seem far more sensitive to the light spectrum than others, I apparently am one of those. I find flourescent and LED worklights next to useless because I just don't see the illumination. Instead of lighting things up, they all but hide things on me. Before spending the money on them yourself, I'd suggest you try a few, especially in a dark corner of the store and see what you can actually see.

That said, I do have two LED flashlights I will use.

One is the free one you get at Harbor Freight with every purchase. Blue shift, but not horribly so. Reasonably strong illumination for under the dashboard, but certainly not for jogging at night through the woods. Small enough to hold in my mouth when on my back under said dashboard. Thumb switch is not drool proof though.

The other is a no-name flat flashlight with a panel of LEDs. It throws quite a bit more light than I ever expected, and it's surprisingly close to neutral in hue. The light is quite directional, so getting the unit positioned right can be frustrating.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 551
I also have a couple of the 9-LED freebies from HF but now keep one of their flatter 27-LED utility lights (http://www.harborfreight.com/27-led-...ght-67227.html) in each of our cars. Better light output, has both a hook and magnet for positioning.

For hands-free work the head-mounted lights cannot be beat. I have a Rayovac single LED 100-lumen unit I really like (http://www.rayovac.com/Products/Ligh...Headlight.aspx). The key is to get as many lumens (from a single LED) as you can afford. Forget those units that do not provide the lumen info and those multi-LED units that claim high lumen output by multiplying the single LED's output.

For general illumination I just modified a generic caged/corded drop light with a 100w equivalent CFL bulb (got too tired of burning myself on the reflector with the incandescent bulb).
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
muddywater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
They handed out the Rayovac flashlights at work for a safety award...Expecting to be unimpressed, I was wrong. Tough, bright, and cheap.
I have purchased another and find it comparable to the high end LED lights at 3 or 4 times the price.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
Scubawerx
Scubawerx

Oddometer: 147
Corded worklight for bike

I'm looking for a 12v corded worklight I can keep under my seat. I already have a 12v accessory outlet and could easily pull power from it for any emergency roadside nighttime repairs. Any ideas on a good quality yet small unit?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
I've got a couple rechargeable tube style ones, one has a flashlight on one end and about 18 long. both throw off a rather mediocre light and are too big to work in small areas like engine bays . I picked up a small battery powered flat one, much smaller, about 6 " long by 3 wide, throws off an amazingly clear light. picked it up at the auto parts store for $6 and I haven't touched the other two since.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
Stromin'Nroman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
I've got one of these.

Get them from Lowe's or Home Depot for $18.

I tend to wear a hat anyways so I always have a light.

It came in real handy when the power went out at a big box store once.

Comes in handy all the time.

Did I mention it's handy?

Suzuki DL650A K7
SW-Motech Centre Stand & Crashbars
Caribou Luggage

".......and many of them were driven to these crimes by a horrible force called MUSIC." Frank Zappa, 1979
Stromin'Nroman is offline   Reply With Quote