Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
jeffjcalweb OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Ty for help, now looking to buy KLX250! input one last time requested :)

Hi - thanks a ton for the help so far. I've decided on a KLX250 for what I'm looking to do. There are a couple used ones in my area but not being the most familiar with these, nor the most mechanically inclined, asking for any tips/opinions before making decision.

First KLX I'm looking at:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/4324698675.html

Pros: has things on it that I'd want to do anyway and my only question is what should have been done for maintenance on a bike with 6600 miles?

Second ad: (craiglist ad just expired but bike is still available). Also a 2012 but only 1500 miles. Owner removed all the decals (blah) and made no other changes to bike. asking around $3800 i think.

So 4k mile difference and one has a few things i'd be spending $$$ on to add anyway. Appreciate the help from you KLX gurus.
jeffjcalweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
moontower
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
6k miles is nothing, barely broken in really. Since you have two options, use it to your advantage and negotiate a lower price. If one wont budge or sells to someone else, its not a problem because you can buy the other bike. Save as much cash as you can and put the leftover money onto a visa gift card. Write on the card "TRIPS ONLY". Use that card as an excuse to hit the road and go explore on your new bike. Good luck!
moontower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
moontower
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjcalweb View Post
Hi - thanks a ton for the help so far. I've decided on a KLX250 for what I'm looking to do. There are a couple used ones in my area but not being the most familiar with these, nor the most mechanically inclined, asking for any tips/opinions before making decision.

First KLX I'm looking at:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/4324698675.html

Pros: has things on it that I'd want to do anyway and my only question is what should have been done for maintenance on a bike with 6600 miles?

Second ad: (craiglist ad just expired but bike is still available). Also a 2012 but only 1500 miles. Owner removed all the decals (blah) and made no other changes to bike. asking around $3800 i think.

So 4k mile difference and one has a few things i'd be spending $$$ on to add anyway. Appreciate the help from you KLX gurus.
And to answer your question, it should have had a valve check or two, but i would be surprised if it needed adjustment. The klx line is pretty reliable. When you do get the bike, upgrade to a krieger manual cam chain tensioner. Its a weak link on the klx line and Mark makes a great product to increase the reliability of the bike. You will love the Klx!
moontower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
jeffjcalweb OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
thank you for the reply and info! great idea about the gift card that's a really cool incentive!
jeffjcalweb is offline   Reply With Quote