User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
moheybee OP
bzzz

Oddometer: 87
4 Months in Central America 2013

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way."
- Alan Watts

I'm writing this from a hammock on the roof of Hostel Alonso in Guanajuato [but then didn't finish it until getting to Hostel Rincón in Zihuatanejo!]

I've been meaning to start this ride report for a while now. We've been riding in Mexico for a month now, having crossed the border in Presidio, TX on our way to the Copper Canyon.

I, Andrew, am on a 2007 KTM 640 Adventure and started out in San Francisco. I rode over 2,000 miles to Marfa, TX to meet my riding buddy, David. I was supposed to meet him in San Antonio, but I was "Persian late" (my dad is from Iran) and he was losing patience, so he just road to Marfa with all his stuff + the tires and parts I had shipped to San Antonio.

David abla Español muy bien (to the point where some people have thought he is Mexican), is on a Honda XR650L and started out in San Antonio, TX. This is his third time riding through the Copper Canyon and he's a mechanical engineer who can fix pretty much anything better than me, except computers.

We have known each other since we were little kids (both about 30 now) and ended up leaving behind our previous work around the same time with no idea if we wanted to return to it.

In the past month I've experienced more in both our riding and the people we've met (David abla Espanol muy bien which helps a lot in meeting locals) to have thought multiple times that if I were to die, I would die happy...not that I want to die at 29, of course, just that the experiences have been so unbelievably awesome and life changing (after spending 14 hours a day in front of a computer for far too long).

I never would have guessed after a night of rooftop barbecue and drinking with a non-profit group, we'd be helping a girls orphanage in Batopilas that was being double charged for satellite internet (fixed after four hours online and on phone and pretending to be the Mexican HugesNet salesperson that scammed the nuns), then being included in handing out presents collected and transported by the Chihuahua City based group to the girls in the orphanage (it was "Christmas in March" and yes, there were tears on both sides!) and finally, getting the nuns blessing to drink "apple juice" in the orphanage with the group because they were so happy we fixed their expensive internet issue. I'll never forget the looks on the faces of the girls and the nuns and I'm tearing up as I write this. Two of the people from the non-profit group have flown to meet us in Zihuat to hang out, drink a lot and talk about doing something together in Batopilas. More on it later...

My last ride report was six years ago (!!!), 2 months riding pavement/gravel/dirt across the US solo to "see my country" + 1 month riding part of the transamerica trail (our bikes only made it to Moab from TN). It can be found here with all my photos broken (sorry!), but some photos on the last two pages posted by Motobrandt still can be seen: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...247860&page=10

This post won't have any photos, but they will be coming shortly in subsequent posts when I have a better internet connection.

We've been taking video (and photos) from my Contour Roam helmet-mounted cam and my buddy's GoPro fork-mounted cam (his videos are much cooler!), but the video likely won't come until we get back because of a slow netbook thats terrible for editing and slow upload speeds.

We have some great video already from ascents/descents in the mountainous Copper Canyon, riding on the empty beaches south of Mazatlan like squids, dodging semis on the Devil's Spine/Backbone, weaving through the paved and dirt roads in the hills around the breathtakingly beautiful Guanajuato and a "wrong" turn on the way to Zihuat that lead us down a road twistier than the Devil's Spine (David claims I almost scrapped a pannier around one tight corner!) Of course, no one wants to watch hours of video, so they need to be edited down a lot. Back in SF, I have a fast Mac and a 100Mbs connection in my apt, so they'll come eventually and I'll make every effort for them to be short and not endlessly boring! :)

So far our route has been:
- Marfa, TX
- Border crossing at Presidio/OJ
- Chihuahua City
- Creel
- Divisadero
- Urique
- Batopilas
- Mazatlan
- Zacatecas
- Guanajuato
- Zihuatanejo/Zihuat

After the Copper Canyon, many of the places we've gone and plan to go have been recommended by other travelers and locals we've met along the way.

We've run into over ten AdvRider members along the way so far whose nicknames I now forget, but some of them I have saved and will try to include in the subsequent posts with pics. We've swapped stories, drank beers, and gotten some great advice from people with more experience adventure riding. Thank you if you're one of the guys and reading this! Your advice was invaluable.

Next up we're continuing down the Pacific Coast of Mexico, into Guatemala and plan to also ride through El Salvador, Nicaragua, Honduras, Costa Rica and Panama (I want to see the Panama Canal!) We aren't going to rush it, though, and we both know we'll be back if we don't have time to visit all the countries and places we want to. Regardless, when I get back to SF, I'm selling everything I own to buy a sailboat (with a small DS or two on it, of course) and sailing south. More sail/ride reports will be coming in the future. There won't be a six year gap again!

Pics, pics and more pics are coming soon!

moheybee screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 09:11 AM
moheybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,572
Thanks for the intro