User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
vivereduc OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Speedo failure 990

I wanted to quickly post a recent experience in case it helps some other poor sucker with a failed speedo. I own a 2007 990 Adventure. At around 7000 miles the speedo died. I spent countless hours trouble shooting all the conxns. Bought a new speed sensor cable (70-80$) and this did nothing. Spoke to several dealers and finally took to my local guys ( not much faith in them initially as they had no ideas and only recently picked up the brand, so no certified mechanics at this mega-dealer with 5-6 brands under one roof). But....they fixed it!!!

The head mechanic spent some quality time on the phone till he found a guy with lots of experience. Who said.....

Replace the $ 38.00 ABS switch! Presto and fixed for less than 50.00! The 'guru' reports that this is a very common fix, so since I used ADV rider forums for several months and never saw this mentioned thought it might be helpful.
vivereduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,699
Very interesting.

Could you describe the kind of faulty operation you experienced?
I had a faulty speedo, that would display the peed from time to time and then display zero. When switching off and on it would work for a moment or two and then back to zero. What was your output?

Is it the one on the dash? In the microfiche catalog in munnracing shop it is part #60142070000 That is the one you replaced?

gefr screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 12:21 AM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
coconuttele
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
My 07 did the same thing. Didnt get much help in forum pages, but another inmate sent a pm of his solution with the abs switch. Just installed today and all my headaches are gone. I think if its not a mainline contraversal thread (types of oils, tires, what farkle is better) its sometimes hard to find answers to such problems. Glad it worked out well for you as well.
coconuttele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:15 AM   #4
quicksandfab
Experienced n00b

Oddometer: 22
Thanks guys for posting your solution to this problem.
My 08 has had no speedo since I bought it several months ago.
All the local diagnosis pointed at the $400 speedo computer gauge.
I don't like spending that kind of money on a "I think it must be,,, but?".
I saw your posts and ordered the switch and wah lah!! problem solved for $35.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
quicksandfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #5
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,547
I am curious as to exactly what ABS switch you are referring to. A part number or picture would be very helpful. Also, was your failure a complete blanking of your dash? More details would be better, and very helpful.

Thanks
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #6
quicksandfab
Experienced n00b

Oddometer: 22
Speedo failure

I can't speak for everyones situation but I can tell you what my bike was doing.
The speedometer read 0mph all the time and the odometer never increased just sat at 12383 miles and trip odometers were at zero and would not change, all other features worked perfectly temp gauge, warning lights, clock etc.
The ABS switch that I replaced was the one on the dash you put your thumb on to turn off your ABS brakes when you turn onto a dirt road.
part number "KTM 60142070000 SWITCH ABS" less than $35 from KTMworld.com
Hope this helps
quicksandfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #7
az63u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivereduc View Post
I wanted to quickly post a recent experience in case it helps some other poor sucker with a failed speedo. I own a 2007 990 Adventure. At around 7000 miles the speedo died. I spent countless hours trouble shooting all the conxns. Bought a new speed sensor cable (70-80$) and this did nothing. Spoke to several dealers and finally took to my local guys ( not much faith in them initially as they had no ideas and only recently picked up the brand, so no certified mechanics at this mega-dealer with 5-6 brands under one roof). But....they fixed it!!!

The head mechanic spent some quality time on the phone till he found a guy with lots of experience. Who said.....

Replace the $ 38.00 ABS switch! Presto and fixed for less than 50.00! The 'guru' reports that this is a very common fix, so since I used ADV rider forums for several months and never saw this mentioned thought it might be helpful.
I've had the same experience a year ago, after all the trouble shoot it came out that the side of the abs switch is cracked due to weather conditions. Which lead water to seep into the sockets and malfunction the speedo. So those who has the 07 or 08 990s check the condition of your abs switch.
az63u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
DeepSea
electronically challenged

Oddometer: 150
They don't like being stabbed with your luggage key either.

My experience with it.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824402
Research is what I'm doing, when I don't know what I'm doing.
DeepSea is offline   Reply With Quote