User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
quietfighting OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
drz400e (street legal costs?)

i found a pretty good deal on a drz400e 2001 hardy ridden $2000.

im on a tight budget so how much would this cost to upgrade to street legal and what would come in the kit? speedometer? odometer?

would it be better and cheaper to wait and buy a drz400s?

can you (with a corbin seat) ride 2 up on on the e?

im looking pretty hard so if you have the bike and want to sell i am all ears.

located in texas

thanks for the help
quietfighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Colorado
Trail Boss

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietfighting
i found a pretty good deal on a drz400e 2001 hardy ridden $2000.
im on a tight budget so how much would this cost to upgrade to street legal and what would come in the kit? speedometer? odometer?
im looking pretty hard so if you have the bike and want to sell i am all ears.
located in texas
thanks for the help
Depends entirely on what state you're in. In Colorado, you can do a DIY kit for 80 bucks or so. In California, you can fuggedaboudit, no amount of dough will get you a tag.

The E doesn't have passenger pegs or anywhere to mount them, so no 2-up except in emergencies.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,850
Quote:
i found a pretty good deal on a drz400e 2001 hardy ridden $2000. Good price if it isn't beat up.

im on a tight budget so how much would this cost to upgrade to street legal and what would come in the kit? Most people use the Baja Designs kit, it's around $400+That is a full kit with hi/lo headlight, brake light, blinkers, horn, harness, swithcgear,etc. speedometer? odometer? Cheapest speedo / odo I have found so far is Baja Designs about $65.00. There are some electronic units out there for more.

First on your list, check with Texas DMV to see if the E can be registered at all, converted or not. Here in NH the laws are pretty relaxed so no big problem for me, I don't have to do too much. In Mass....the previous owner of my 2001E gave up and he was told he couldn't do it.

The "E" makes more power and has better suspension then the "S" although the S is already street legal.

Dunno, bought mine just for my butt.

m looking pretty hard so if you have the bike and want to sell i am all ears.

located in texas

thanks for the help
Old 01-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Oddometer: 1,282
You can plate a dirtbike in TX.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Johnny KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
DirtHopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
in AZ, when you go to the DMV, they ask you a simple question.....

"Does the vehicle have everything installed to be street legal compliant?"

you answer "yes", and PRESTO, here's a plate, now you are legal
Old 01-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny KLR
You can plate a dirtbike in TX.
Cool. All he needs to know is how much needs to be done to it to plate it.

In NH, all we need is a headlight, brake light, horn and mirrors. Anything beyond that, blinkers, etc. is all up to the owner. I'm in the middle of converting mine now and I am going the full route with blinkers as I have a fair amount of traffic to ride through to get to dirt. I have an "S" harness and L/H switchgear from an S to go with the UFO parts that I have. A few more bits and I will be ready to finish it up.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #7
djchan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
The DRZe is the one you want. That is, if you want to ride it offroad. 30 lbs lighter than the S, better carb, exhaust, cams, forks, etc. Although I haven't found my E yet, I have already purchased the entire wiring harness from a SM and a rear subframe from an S. So I really only need lights, speedo and mirrors to make it legal here in Maine. ....once I actually find an E that is. Hey, anybody have a DRZ400E or KLX400R for sale in the northeast US?

Dean
djchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobudo28
Cool. All he needs to know is how much needs to be done to it to plate it.

In NH, all we need is a headlight, brake light, horn and mirrors. Anything beyond that, blinkers, etc. is all up to the owner. I'm in the middle of converting mine now and I am going the full route with blinkers as I have a fair amount of traffic to ride through to get to dirt. I have an "S" harness and L/H switchgear from an S to go with the UFO parts that I have. A few more bits and I will be ready to finish it up.
The cost will be up to how handy he is. I think most of the bike shops can do inspections/authorizations for title. I know Rockwall Honda can for sure.

He needs DOT legal rubber, horn, hi/low beam headlamp, (I think) at least 1 mirror, brake/tail light. I think that's it, but I'm hoping to stop by that shop tomorrow to look at a couple of bikes anyway... I'll see if I can get a copy of everything needed for him.

I suspect that you can get everything off Ebay for a lot less than the Baja Designs stuff (and may work better too) but that takes time and frustration... and modification, I'm sure.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Johnny KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #9
quietfighting OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
2 up

i think the key here is that my girl will be riding some with me.

a previous poster said that the drz400e doesnt have rear pegs or a place to put them.

is this true? (not that i doubt you)

i want to ride it on dirt also. i like the 30 lbs. lighter part.

i am not very handy but would like to learn as it is being installed so i could fix it.

does the e or s differ at all with the engines? is the e going to be okay on the highway?

i get this leaves me with the s right?

found a 02 with 900 miles (never trail ridden) with corbin seat, skid plate, after market handle bars and hand protectors for $3,100. good deal? the way to go?

or

2001 drz400e with low hours, new plastic, and pay the cost for the upgrade and a corbin seat. (and rear pegs if possible)

give me the input, its great so far
quietfighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #10
DirtHopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by djchan
The DRZe is the one you want. That is, if you want to ride it offroad. 30 lbs lighter than the S, better carb, exhaust, cams, forks, etc. Although I haven't found my E yet, I have already purchased the entire wiring harness from a SM and a rear subframe from an S. So I really only need lights, speedo and mirrors to make it legal here in Maine. ....once I actually find an E that is. Hey, anybody have a DRZ400E or KLX400R for sale in the northeast US?

Dean
just so you know dean, the rear subframe from the SM will need a slight modification for the center exhaust support. just an FYI in case you didn't know. I only know because i have an SM subframe om my E model
Old 01-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #11
djchan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Thanks dirthopper. My subframe is from an S model. The harness is from a SM. I probably screwed the pooch on my previous post.

Dean
djchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:24 PM   #12
osii
Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer: 2,426
I just bought 3 E models and Ds'd them and got them tagged up here in Nevada. Getting them tagged was easy.

Get the DS stuff from procycle.

most motorcycle shops will sign off on the DMV paperwork so you really don't have to do anything to the bike since it already has lights.

But here's what you need to be legal and in full compliance.

Get the DS switch and harness,. I think it's around $150 from procycle and get the $15.00 XR style tail-light.

Get the brake switch from wheelingcycle the is at a right angle. the one's procycle sells won't work with the brake reservoir.

Look on ebay for 4 cheap turn signals. Buy the front turn signal mounts from wheeling cycle.

That's it. the headlight on the E is a dual fillament so you need a new one. you should be right around $225 to $250 if you can get a deal on the turn signals and pick up a cheap horn and flasher from an auto parts store.

Oh yeah, you'll need mirrors too. Again, find some cheap ones on ebay.

and you can find footpegs on ebay too for your lovely passenger. i hope you two are not too big cause that bike don't want to carry a heavy loade.
osii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #13
hardroadking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
DRZ400E - can this be licensed in OH ?

I'm in PA now and no luck getting it licensed here. Will be moving to OH in next few months and would be interested to know if it's any easier there.
Anyone know or done it?
Old 02-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #14
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,922
Ok so Im in the same boat, looking at a nice used E model, but I gotta be able to put a tag/title on it.

Seems to me, the main problem is the titling, not the actual licence plate.

From the factory, the E model comes with a decal that states "This motorcycle is intended for offroad use only, etc" where there usually is a white sticker with GAWR, year, model, etc.
Therefore, you must remove said decal, then somehow procure a title that says "motorcycle" only, and not "ohv" or "offroad"

Then you must have a keyed ignition, a mirror, brake/tail light/taglight, headlight with hi/low, DOT tires, and a horn.

Am I missing anything?

Note: I am trying to do this in Florida, which I know is notorious for being assholes about not wanting to title dirtbikes.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #15
Dave KLR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:

If you are both 16 then ya its great for it. The e is the better bike for offroad by far but not for two up. I think a klr would be a better choice for you given that you want to ride some off-road but mostly two up. Good luck!

P.S. The main key about dual sporting these bikes is getting a street legal title in hand when you buy the bike. The rest is usually trivial. I would be very careful about choosing a bike without one, huge risk of not getting it on the street.
Dave KLR is offline   Reply With Quote