Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #121
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Larry, 640s don't vibe, maybe your just overly sensitive...

True, more of a richter scale disturbance when a old LC4 is firing.

I've been thru 4 of them, they fuggin shake. All the street legal ones I sold off quickly due to a 20 minute highway ride in my regular commute. KTM owes Husqvarna thru Husaberg for a smooth single in the RFS and later iterations.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #122
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,246
Quote:

They are the worst of any single ever made.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #123
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 261
the opposite

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Is he the same guy that ran KTM to the brink of bankruptcy? I don't keep up with KTM.
No, actually, in the course of ~ 3 yrs, he's the one that brought them from the brink of bankruptcy to overtaking BMW in sales in Europe +. As a businessman he knows of what he speaks.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #124
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by elron View Post
No, actually, in the course of ~ 3 yrs, he's the one that brought them from the brink of bankruptcy to overtaking BMW in sales in Europe +. As a businessman he knows of what he speaks.

Excellent. I love the old Husky(before BMW) and wish them the best, unless they come out with a 2014 630 ASAP I still see myself on a Beta before another Husky.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #125
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayron View Post
From a consumer perspective, I think this can only be good for Husky. I hate what BMW did to them (yeah, I hear a lot of folks like the new 650- not me).
I'm going to consider this good news.
Hate what BMW did to them...

Hm, expanded the dealer network, provided / supported entry into the lucrative street market with the Nuda and the lucrative adventure bike class with the new 650, funded an expanded racing schedule worldwide including more support in the Dakar, and most importantly increased sales by over 15% - in this market in the last yr... Yeah BMW left them in a lurch.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #126
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
That's crazy, KTM is the gold standard of Enduro Bikes and as far as Husky being bronze, that is bmw "mini cooper" thinking, I would bet that is going to change.

from http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...ing-husqvarna/

Nieuwsmotor: Herr Pierer, congratulations on the purchase of Husqvarna. The big question now is “Why?”

Stefan Pierer: “In the auto industry, you’ve seen a similar movement for years of more brands moving under one roof. The motorcycle market is considerably decreased, therefore consolidation within it has become even more important.”
“To sell more products, it’s logical for a company to target brands at specific niches. KTM is now the global leader in the field of endure and motocross, therefore expansion in those areas is very difficult. That is why, like many auto companies, we are looking at multiple brands that can cooperate in areas such as development, purchasing and the like.”

Nieuwsmotor: Why Husqvarna when, with Husaberg, you already have a similar marque?

Stefan Pierer: “We think that with Husqvarna, there’s a specific niche to tackle. With this brand, we want to focus on competing with Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki. We’d like to move the brand to selling 10,000 units per year, then continue watching. For that, Husqvarna needs to go back to it’s roots, it’s strayed too far.”
“The brand has a wonderful history, but a completely wrong model lineup and is on completely the wrong track. The dealer network was not ready to sell two-cylinder street models.”

“We will work with Husqvarna to go back to its origins. We’ll soon be back in motocross and then in supermoto, both sports in which Husqvarna previously dominated. Within the next year, we will make an appropriate motorcycle developed with the specifications and character Husqvarna needs.”

I find it funny reading KTM criticizing other companies dealer networks and straying away from their roots... um RC8 anyone?

Too bad, I was hoping to see a Husky Superbike (akin to the RC8 TBH) but if truly a part of KTM I can see why they want to kill the road bikes (Nuda) as KTM's road bikes aren't exactly leaping off the showroom floor.

It will be interesting to see what angle they take with them.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #127
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Quote:
Dude, we used to put my buds 640 on its centre-stand, start it up, put it in gear and do donuts on its centre-stand - yeah it vibrated that much.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #128
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by elron View Post
Actually from what I read KTM overtook BMW in worldwide sales because of the Duke 125 and 200 being made in India, but BMW sold more bikes then KTM in Europe and North America.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #129
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQD8R View Post
Dude, we used to put my buds 640 on its centre-stand, start it up, put it in gear and do donuts on its centre-stand - yeah it vibrated that much.
I don't spend much time riding on the center stand, come to think of it I don't spend any... As for vibes it is what it is, one of my 640s vibes about the same or less than a 690, the other gives somewhat more... Neither bother me at all and get plenty of use, I put on about 15K- 20K miles per year on them...

I always tell people who are looking to buy a 640 to take one for a spin before they decide, and not just a ride up and down the block, take it where it shines, rough tracks and dirt roads... A good # of the current offerings out there are under suspended and will shake you apart at anything over a moderate pace on choppy, rough trails, this is 640 country...

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 09:51 PM
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #130
philosobrad
problem_solvent

Oddometer: 202
Quote:

I always tell people who are looking to buy a 640 to take one for a spin before they decide, and not just a ride up and down the block, take it where it shines, rough tracks and dirt roads..., this is 640 country...
This..
Old 02-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #131
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,528
I have done the same thing when inmates contact me about my 640. The guy I bought it from said it made him numb. This from a guy with an XR650R and now a Berg. Yet I don't even notice any vibration. Except maybe when it is walking across the garage on the center stand.

Also among my friends that have ridden it one thinks it vibrates and the other doesn't. Both are very experienced riders. So it is a personal thing depending entirely on the rider. Anybody making broader generalizations than that is either being a troll or simply doesn't know what they are talking about.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #132
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQD8R View Post
Hate what BMW did to them...

Hm, expanded the dealer network, provided / supported entry into the lucrative street market with the Nuda and the lucrative adventure bike class with the new 650, funded an expanded racing schedule worldwide including more support in the Dakar, and most importantly increased sales by over 15% - in this market in the last yr... Yeah BMW left them in a lurch.
Also dropped their 450 in favor of BMW's mistake ridden oddball engined special.
Then dropped the 630 just as it was getting good.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #133
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I have done the same thing when inmates contact me about my 640. The guy I bought it from said it made him numb. This from a guy with an XR650R and now a Berg. Yet I don't even notice any vibration. Except maybe when it is walking across the garage on the center stand.

Also among my friends that have ridden it one thinks it vibrates and the other doesn't. Both are very experienced riders. So it is a personal thing depending entirely on the rider. Anybody making broader generalizations than that is either being a troll or simply doesn't know what they are talking about.
My 620SC LC4 hammered the bottom of my feet like pissed off high rpm Keebler elves with small sledge hammers. It still did great 3rd gear wheelies at speed and flat snorted coming off corners.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #134
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,528
Add an aluminum skid plate and they sound like that, too.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #135
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,948
I seem to vibrate less every day by myself.

So now I am now on a KTM life support system.

Seems to be working...
so far.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote