Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
toates89 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
500 miles 30 degrees and a pair of gardening gloves.

Young and dumb. Now that is out of the way I will proceed with my only ride over 30 miles.

I bought a 85 kawa zx900(top gun bike) in december of 2011. Come march of 2012 it wsa 75 degrees in buffalo ny(average temp around 35). So I thought i would dart down to nyc(500 miles) to see the GF. I brought a leather jacket for the ride back which was supposed to be about 50 55 degrees. I got to nyc. a float needle failed, exhaust packing fell out on the highway, fork seals blew, and chain was completely stretched(wasnt aware that a worn chain would stretch that quickly). so I am getting ready to leave sunday to make it back to school for an exam tuesday and i stopped at salvation army picked up a fleece and a set of leather gardening gloves.

Monday morning, it was 35 degrees and 40 mph winds. I was getting blown all over the road and freezing so i stopped in PA to sleep at my brothers house. woke up 8am tuesday to make it back by my 5pm exam. 25 degrees out and still windy. I wore two pairs of pants, two socks, 4 jackets, snowboarding gloves, leather gardening gloves and a neck fleece. the carbs still flooding into my pod filters, fork oil covered boots, chain about 6 inches of play(supposed to be .5) and a roaring exhaust. I think i was able to make it about 15 30 miles at a time tops. I am glad the bike even made it.

Never had my moral been so low. Kinda broke me until i ran into another biker who was in the same situation coming up from VA, whose CC got locked(gave him $7 bucks for gas) and we rode for 30 minutes or so and then split.

In the end it took me prob close to 15 hours in sub zero temps. Got a 98 on the exam. I learned a valuable lesson. I am sure we all have been there.
toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
Inoplanetyanin
One day closer!

Oddometer: 96
Hehe, cool story. Congratulations on the exam and the trip overall. Seeing the girlfriend and enduring the ride back sounds like a worthy cause.

Wow, I am happy my scooter has a belt and not a chain. :) I remember riding in the cold too and sometimes those extra layers were still not enough. It's an art and science to dress for motorcycle winter riding.

Picture of your bike would be nice.
Inoplanetyanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #3
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Great story,when your 60 it will be 1k miles in -10 degrees ,it's ok though,we all do it

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:36 AM   #4
warkshop
uncbob

Oddometer: 567
Thanks for the great story. I have a few of those myself which i will share on another thread. This is how most of us learn. Folks have been flogging bikes all over the world in horrible weather since they invented the things. Builds character! People who have only ridden in perfect weather with perfect bikes and riding gear have missed a huge adventure. It is about the challenge!
Old 11-23-2013, 05:06 AM   #5
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,272
I have a similar story but maybe not quite as bad as the OP.

I had graduated college the year before but GF- now wife- was still at the same college. Utica, N.Y.

Living on Long Island and a nice fall weekend was forecast. Why not ride my 1 Y.O. Yamaha XS500 (twin) up to Utica. It was Friday and the back roads would be empty. About a 5+ hour trip, 60 degrees or so.

Fun, fast trip.

Sunday we wake up- 30 degrees. Waited until midday but it didn't get any warmer. No fairing, medium weight gloves and clothing. Have to be at work on Monday.

I froze my ass off on the way home. Kept switching hands to put one on the valve cover- no throttle lock so half the time I have my left hand on the right grip. Part of the time I have my lower legs hooked over the rear turn signals to get out of the wind while I'm lying on the tank. Never been so cold in my entire life. That was stupid

By the end I probably had some pretty low brain function due to hypothermia, but made it home.

TO THIS DAY I always carry additional clothing in my sidecases. Never again.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
toates89 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoplanetyanin View Post
Hehe, cool story. Congratulations on the exam and the trip overall. Seeing the girlfriend and enduring the ride back sounds like a worthy cause.

Wow, I am happy my scooter has a belt and not a chain. :) I remember riding in the cold too and sometimes those extra layers were still not enough. It's an art and science to dress for motorcycle winter riding.

Picture of your bike would be nice.
It was pretty beat when i bought it so i made it into a fighter.

toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
Mustang28027
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Amazing what we will do when we are young and a bit PW!

Haha!

Bike looks nice for being a beater... Looks so much like a Yamaha FJ!
Mustang28027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
Thrux
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hah sounds like a crazy adventure for sure! Great lookin bike btw
Thrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
Vinbowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Yes, builds character.
We've got lots characters here!
Good story
They just stand back and let it all be." Springsteen
Vinbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
Mustang28027
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
The more I look at that bike the more I like it... could be an interesting café racer...that tank just rocks.
Mustang28027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
billmags
Scoot Jockey

Oddometer: 234
Old Kawis are great, i love 'em, when you buy a used one you have to do all the maintenance items to be sure.
Great story!
billmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
what doesnt kill you will make you stronger
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote