User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #151
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,030
The vet can give you some stuff to sprinkle on their food. It worked for our dogs.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #152
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 22,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwscotty View Post
The vet can give you some stuff to sprinkle on their food. It worked for our dogs.
I've heard this but cannot get my head around anything making shit taste worse than it must already.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #153
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post
I've heard this but cannot get my head around anything making shit taste worse than it must already.

You know how sometimes you fart and there is that awkward pause before you realize it didn't smell that bad, then there are those times that make you gag and vacate the room before you pass out? the process of the digestion is the same, it is just the ingredients that change the outcome. The stuff they sprinkle on the food is kindof like that except taste rather than smell.
Big Bird 928 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #154
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 928 View Post
You know how sometimes you fart and there is that awkward pause before you realize it didn't smell that bad, then there are those times that make you gag and vacate the room before you pass out? the process of the digestion is the same, it is just the ingredients that change the outcome. The stuff they sprinkle on the food is kindof like that except taste rather than smell.
I'm betting my plan will be more effective, and raucously fun.

This...

plus one of these...

every time he so much as leans into a loaf. Problem solved.

not really
Old 02-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #155
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,080
Quote:
I'm betting my plan will be more effective, and raucously fun.

This...

plus one of these...

every time he so much as leans into a loaf. Problem solved.

not really

Yeah, I don't see that working with mine. I take her with me shooting, she will sleep 5 feet from me on the range while I am sending rounds down range...
Big Bird 928 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #156
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 2,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 928 View Post
Yeah, I don't see that working with mine. I take her with me shooting, she will sleep 5 feet from me on the range while I am sending rounds down range...
In that case, you've got to change your tactics...

and a little

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #157
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

My poor buddy scares at the clap of a hand. I fear he was abused by his prior human, but that's really a whole other thread. I'm working hard to convince him he's safe here and has no fear of harm.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #158
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,639
We use food from a well known grocery store chain known for its $2 wine.

The wife unit did a fair amount of research on the topic.

The dog tolerates the food very well. He's a 10 year old border collie flat coat cross.
He gets a clean bill of health. And we can get his food when we are on the road, on Sundays.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #159
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,604
^ Trader Joes?

Which food?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #160
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
Mine is the dish washer,and a 1/2 cup of "one beyond"= 20 lb doxie!
Not even 3 yrs old yet,and NOT fat,pretty sure there's 7 lbs. of fur.!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #161
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,604
I am still in the process of switching my dog from the bag of Iams Simple and Natural to Taste of the Wild Bison and Venison. I've been giving him a half and half mixture, trying to finish off the Iams. They got fed "whatever" in the shelter, and he's probably on his 3rd or 4th food in 2-3 months...so I doubt he's sensitive to changes. But he really seems to enjoy the TotW more than the Iams. And his gas has already decreased! He used to fart non-stop. I haven't noticed it in a while, but he's burping more now! At least those don't smell as bad!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #162
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
^ Trader Joes?

Which food?
The chicken and rice food and the peanut butter treats.
At least the food is better then the 2 buck chuck.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #163
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Okay, so on the subject of dog food/what they are eating, how the hell can I get our new rescue to stop eating his own crap? His regular diet consists of Blue Buffalo Wilderness adult duck recipe, dry. He was eating Newman's Own organics when we got him from the rescue group and we weened him over a couple weeks. He gets fed three times a day, about 1 cup per serving. He's a 43-ish pound poodle mix.
Nice dog you have there

First, I wonder why you feed him so often? Is he a puppy?

Second, one of the things nobody has a definite answer on fixing is dogs eating poop, their own or other's.

You can do as you see fit, here are some pointers. If you do use something aversive, you have to make sure that it's powerful enough to deter him from the first time, otherwise you'll just make things worse. When using aversive stimuli, punishment, whatever you want to call it, apply it before he gets a chance to eat/grab the poop, just looks and approaches it(there's a reason for it) - please note that I don't suggest you go this route.

As with anything else, prevention is key- as in no access to poop. Combine this with training- he looks at poop he gets a treat from you (initially throw it to him then give it only from your hand)- something other than poop hopefully. Add verbal praise after he learns that process- as in he sees poop, looks/comes to you for a reward, and you immediately praise and offer treat (reward each and every time for a while, then now and then then with treats/verbal, then stay with verbal praise and a treat every once in a while). The goal is to teach him to ignore the poop and come to you every time there's a poop in his visual range (basically put eating poop on extinction and teach him how to get goodies). This won't happen overnight, patience and practice make perfect.

As far as reasons go, dogs eat this because it's food, because they played with it and discovered it's fun to get people involved, because they lack some nutrients and try to make up for them one way or another, because they're bored and there's nothing else to play with, etc.

Ko

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #164
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

The amount of food is based on the vet's recommendation. The guesstimate is he is about a year old. I re-reading my post, I can say he's not getting that much 3X/day, though. Probably getting a total of 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups per day. Again, based on vet's call. He's been to the vet on a 3 week cycle to recheck for whip-worm and, thus far, the weight is holding steady at 43 lbs.

I have no intention of using fear to keep him from his yard jewels. At this point, I can open the doorwall as soon as he starts looking at the stuff and he comes racing in. The only thing I am sure about, wrt the poop-eating, is nobody in my house allows him to lick them.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #165
Roonie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
www.dogfoodadvisor.com

Acana for all of my dogs now, after having three dogs with elevated liver values and one dog that died of complications from liver cancer all while I thought Science Diet was still a good dog food. I'll never be able to prove that synthetic vitamin K3 in Science Diet and many other shitty dog foods had anything to do with it, but it's more than a little coincidental that the third dog that had elevated liver values in blood tests on Science diet for 5 years now has normal liver values on Acana. Go figure.

Research your dog food thoroughly. It can make a big difference in the amount of time you get with your best friend. And yes, I'm a little bitter about the loss of my Siberian, and more importantly the difficulty she went through for the last three years of her life.

No shit! Our lab who has been on Science Diet has elevated liver values now too. Came out of nowhere. Going to change diet tomorrow now......
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: