Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #166
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie View Post
No shit! Our lab who has been on Science Diet has elevated liver values now too. Came out of nowhere. Going to change diet tomorrow now......
Will you please do me the kind favor of letting me know what food you move to, and if the liver values drop?

Thanks in advance.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #167
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,028
MY dog had been doing well with the switch from Iams to Taste of the Wild, but all day yesterday, and so far today, he's been one big farting machine! He's stinking the house up. The kids don't even want to play with him! Something has set him off! He did get into the trash can yesterday AM, and get some food the kids tossed....not exactly sure how much or what he got exactly....one might have been a protein bar the kids opened, decided it wasn't candy, and threw away! But the dog stinks so bad right now!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #168
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,659
Cool2 Pair of female shepherd mixes 6 mo & 2 yr olds

Dog sitting and just got a rescue doggie - the pup on the left is doing another week "in the hole" while her spay heals up. keeping them separate has proven... interesting. Going to swap out their Beneful for something today - been browsing this thread for ideas.
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #169
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Will you please do me the kind favor of letting me know what food you move to, and if the liver values drop?

Thanks in advance.
My dogs thyroid values normalized when I got him off dog food (Pinnacle, then Dick Van Pattens) and started feeding him real food. As I said earlier in this thread, it probably costs about the same (one can of peas, split up twice during the day, with shredded chicken breasts, cooked. Or the peas and whatever meat I can get on sale at Vons.)

I add vitamins, glucosamine (cuz better to prevent hip issues than deal with them, no harm there) and some digestive enzymes.
No farts, good stools, fantastic coat, no bad breath, no vomiting, all of which happened on the kibbles listed above.

It costs about the same monthly but even if it didn't, he is worth it 10x over

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #170
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,656
Kangaroo meat veggies and a dash of yogurt, two or three times a week we give them chicken frames for calcium.

Ed
sandgroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #171
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,744
Coons rabbits possums groundhog he is part border collie part mt cur . He mostly likes take out .
Old 03-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #172
Tinks
Imp of Satan

Oddometer: 20,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger View Post

Dog sitting and just got a rescue doggie - the pup on the left is doing another week "in the hole" while her spay heals up. keeping them separate has proven... interesting. Going to swap out their Beneful for something today - been browsing this thread for ideas.
Damn! Who is the scrappy dog in the middle?

(Mr. Disaster) Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #173
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Barf

Just stumbled into this thread, but I gotta say Cogitator is on the right track. I've had several dogs on BARF diet and it is no more expensive than quality kibble. I generally prefer cicken, leg quarters being the easiest and cheapest in general. I find excellent prices on fish as well. I have also been known to get free beef that has aged beyond sale date and this was my late Rottweiler's favorite (she liked it near rancid).

BARF is also an easy traveling diet for your fuzzy friends. No bag tupperware in the car full of kibble and no searching for exotic kibble at your vaca spot.

My vet supports the diet and there is a lot of good info available.

Side bonus: nice little white chalky poop
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #174
Tinks
Imp of Satan

Oddometer: 20,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
Just stumbled into this thread, but I gotta say Cogitator is on the right track. I've had several dogs on BARF diet and it is no more expensive than quality kibble. I generally prefer cicken, leg quarters being the easiest and cheapest in general. I find excellent prices on fish as well. I have also been known to get free beef that has aged beyond sale date and this was my late Rottweiler's favorite (she liked it near rancid).

BARF is also an easy traveling diet for your fuzzy friends. No bag tupperware in the car full of kibble and no searching for exotic kibble at your vaca spot.

My vet supports the diet and there is a lot of good info available.

Side bonus: nice little white chalky poop
It is more expensive if you have a dog allergic to chicken.

(Mr. Disaster) Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #175
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Tinks couldn't be more right! I've been lucky and never had to deal with severe food allergies in my pets, BUT I can only imagine the hassle. Be watchful as you switch diets around...
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #176
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
Been feeding both of our dogs (3.5 year old American Mastiff/Aussie Shepherd mix and 4 year old Great Dane) Canidae ALS from the time we rescued them, they both do pretty decent on it. I wish they pooped a bit less, but I've found the Canidae is one of the best reviewed foods (it's a low 5 star) for the money, we pay just over $1/lb for it locally.

The Dane had a hell of a summer and required emergency surgery to gastropexy his colon (it wrapped around the gastropexy site for his stomach, no idea that could happen). He's been good since but now that his digestive tract is all sorted, we've figured out that he has IBS. I think we're going to try the ALS Grain Free with him, see if it helps the death farts. It's just shy of a 6 star and not too much pricier than the regular ALS, and now that both dogs are older, the higher protein levels aren't a big concern.

Related note, we have both dogs insured, I can heartily recommend this to anyone. We didn't use it until the emergency surgery, but that maxed his annual benefit, came out to the cost of a Kia, we only had to pay about 1/4 of the total bill. Not sure he'd still be with us if it wasn't for the insurance. The savings also easily cover both dogs premiums for life a few times over.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #177
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Went to pick up some Taste of the Wild today at Tractor Supply. On sale for $42.99 for a 30LB bag.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #178
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,113
My daughters Golden Retriever eats: socks, baby bibs, kleenex, hockey sacks, marbles, kids toys....if it hits the floor, and she can get it in her mouth, it's gone. Has had surgical procedures twice to "unclog" her plumbing.
One day when we were there, the dog started choking and gagging, then puked out a nasty pair of my son in laws partially digested underwear.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #179
Fixnfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Here's a link to sign up for recall alerts....

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall-alerts/
Old 03-23-2013, 05:35 AM   #180
Dave
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Went to pick up some Taste of the Wild today at Tractor Supply. On sale for $42.99 for a 30LB bag.
We were with Nutro Ultra, (4 stars on Dog Food advisor) and our pups seemed to do really well on it. But, we got a wild hair, and gave Blue Buffalo Wilderness (5 stars) a try. They scarfed that down, too, but at $65 for a 35 lb. bag, that was getting a bit pricey.
I did our bi-monthly trip to Costco yesterday, and printed out the 4 and 5 star rated foods. Being Costco, I was 90% sure I'd strike out, and all they'd sell is junk food.

BUT, they (obviously) carry Kirkland brand 'Nature's Domain'. Gets 4 of 5 stars, and is Costco's best dog food. Another bonus is that it's $34 for a 35 pound bag.

So, the real test was at dinner time. I opened it up, and the damn dogs bum rushed me to stick their heads in the bag. As long as they don't start getting bad stools/low energy/poor coats, I think we may have a winner.

Gotta start cutting it in to their current food, so we don't have any digestion distress.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: