User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 05:24 AM   #76
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,992
This has been mentioned already, but there are hundreds of dog food brands in the US, but there are not hundreds of dog food processing facilities. A lot of different brands are made side by side in some of the same buildings.

I think one primary thing to try to accomplish when you choose food, is choose one that doesn't list corn or any corn byproduct as one of the top 5 or 6 ingredients.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #77
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
This has been mentioned already, but there are hundreds of dog food brands in the US, but there are not hundreds of dog food processing facilities. A lot of different brands are made side by side in some of the same buildings.

I think one primary thing to try to accomplish when you choose food, is choose one that doesn't list corn or any corn byproduct as one of the top 5 or 6 ingredients.
You don't want corn as any ingredient! Have you ever seen a dog stop chasing a bag of Acana to stop and shuck an ear of corn!

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #78
rifflebox
Yee Haw!

Oddometer: 203
Natural Balance

Expensive, but she's worth it.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/res...940&height=600
rifflebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #79
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
You don't want corn as any ingredient! Have you ever seen a dog stop chasing a bag of Acana to stop and shuck an ear of corn!

I was in the store the AM, and walked down the dog food aisle. I stopped and looked at a couple of the 'higher end" Purina bags, One, and Beneful. Corn was the 2nd ingredient in One, and the 1st ingredient in Beneful....of course there were ears of corn were all over the bag of Benful too! Most companies at least put pictures of chickens and bison on their bags!

My dogs would eat corn if I gave it to them. About the only thing my lab every turned his nose up too, were Thai peppers from some General Tso chicken I was having for lunch one day! My wife claimed he wouldn't eat pickles either, but I saw him do it! He was quite the opportunist, with food dropped in the kitchen!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #80
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVID1 View Post
It's about proper nutrition. Giving dogs raw vegetables and some fruit like apples, gives them enzymes and fiber, plus unprocessed raw nutrients.

Processed GMO corn in dog food is used a filler because it's cheap, but it doesn't provide any nutritional value.

BTW, we have two apple trees in the back yard and the dogs totally harvest the apples
Your dogs have waaaay better survival instincts than mine, which is a particularly useless breed of crazy. We've been walking by fruit trees--apple, persimmon, fig, etc.-- for years. Wouldn't know a fruit if it came up and jumped down his throat. How're your dogs at culturing cheese?

You know, they say the same thing about the nutritional value of white rice and people. Let me tell you...I eat a shit ton of rice...along with a couple nations full of people like me. I read health gurus telling me you shouldn't eat white rice, and I laugh my ass of. Ok no, it's not funny enough to laugh my ass off. But I generally consider them to be a joke after that. It might be nutritionally sparse...but at the end of the day, I need carbs too. And carbs it has in spades. I have to look elsewhere for my fiber, and stuff like that. But white rice...at least I won't get arsenic poisoning. :)

DriveShaft screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 09:50 AM
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #81
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Forgo to add, I'm feeding my 57 pound labradoodle Iams Simple and Natural chicken, etc.

I looked for Taste of the Wild, but the local Petco doesn't carry it in store...although their website said they did. Tractor Supply has it but its not convenient. Price wise, TOTW is only about .20 cents a pound more than Iams.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #82
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,056
Quote:

They may not chase a bag of Acana, but they would gladly chase it's main ingredients

My dogs would also gladly eat corn based foods like Beneful, in much the same way you can find a morbidly obese person sucking down big macs at McDonalds. And that's kind of the point. When left to their own choosing, many dogs would gravitate towards a large pile of shit before they would grab an ear of corn off the stalk.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #83
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
They may not chase a bag of Acana, but they would gladly chase it's main ingredients

My dogs would also gladly eat corn based foods like Beneful, in much the same way you can find a morbidly obese person sucking down big macs at McDonalds. And that's kind of the point. When left to their own choosing, many dogs would gravitate towards a large pile of shit before they would grab an ear of corn off the stalk.
When did dog food bring about all these sanctimonious attitudes? When I was a kid we fed the dogs what we ate. Of course that was chicken and pork bones that never killed one of my many dogs. But, I guess what we are eating nowadays is probably toxic to dogs since it pretty much is to us.

It's still hard for me to pay 2 dollars or more a pound because a dentist has a dog food blog and assigns stars to how high up the list meat is on the ingredient list and of course that corn is not even mentioned on the designer zip-fresh flavor seal bag. If one wants to feel so smug, quit being lazy and buy real ground meat on sale, flax, vitamins, oats, and olive oil as a binder and make several fist-size meatballs to refrigerate and feed throughout the week. At least you would truly know what you are feeding your dog, and you wouldn't be getting taken advantage of by marketers much smarter than any of us and that know the terminology we want to hear and know the expensive packaging will impress us.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #84
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,165
You should have seen the last dog food thread. This one is pretty mild. The I don't even own a TV crowd was out of control with the custom blends, home cooking and various raw diets. My favorite was somebody that swore he knew more about how to feed dogs than both of my vets.

Apparently my vets were part of some vast dog food conspiracy and I was just too dense to realize it. I never did figure out whether my vets were expensive but scary bad food pushers or just duped into the conspiracy like me. There are some extreme dog foodies out there.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 07:06 PM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #85
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Apparently my vets were part of some vast dog food conspiracy and I was just too dense to realize it.
If a vet is pushing a particular brand, to the point that he has POS racks of the stuff and sells it OTC, that's a little suspicious.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #86
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,165
Mine don't sell food. But thanks for making my point.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #87
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,056
Quote:
When did dog food bring about all these sanctimonious attitudes? When I was a kid we fed the dogs what we ate. Of course that was chicken and pork bones that never killed one of my many dogs. But, I guess what we are eating nowadays is probably toxic to dogs since it pretty much is to us.

It's still hard for me to pay 2 dollars or more a pound because a dentist has a dog food blog and assigns stars to how high up the list meat is on the ingredient list and of course that corn is not even mentioned on the designer zip-fresh flavor seal bag. If one wants to feel so smug, quit being lazy and buy real ground meat on sale, flax, vitamins, oats, and olive oil as a binder and make several fist-size meatballs to refrigerate and feed throughout the week. At least you would truly know what you are feeding your dog, and you wouldn't be getting taken advantage of by marketers much smarter than any of us and that know the terminology we want to hear and know the expensive packaging will impress us.
No smugness about it. If you don't believe it makes a difference, please help me to understand the liver issues my three dogs had on Science diet. The three dogs were a Keeshond, a Siberian, and a Jack Russell Terrorist. Of the three, only the JRT is still alive today. After switching his food away from Science diet (and potentially corn in general) to a meat and vegetable dominant diet his blood liver values returned to normal ranges.

I'm not making this up, and I wish it weren't true in my case because it would possibly mean my Siberian wouldn't have died from liver cancer complications a year and three months ago. And I wish I had the time in my life to make their food. But since I don't, and since I am officially capable of burning water in the kitchen it's probably better if I trust experts with my Dog's nutrition, even if - heaven forbid - they are making a tidy profit. If my dogs even have a chance of living healthier, longer lives I'm all in. For a point of comparison, my Siberian's vet bills ran about $20k over three years. As much as that sucked, thank heaven we lived within reach of OSU's veterinary hospital or she would have died at least 2.5 years earlier. The dog food can be gold fucking plated for all I care, it will still cost less than we spent on her care. And yes, I'm aware that she might have gotten liver cancer anyway. But again, if there's even a chance of better health from food I'll gladly spend the money.

Beyond that, why is this discussion making you angry? If you don't want to pay more for dog food, don't. If you want to feed your dogs table scraps or even rendering plant product, go for it. Just don't get angry with me or others for making a different choice.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 PM   #88
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
No smugness about it. If you don't believe it makes a difference, please help me to understand the liver issues my three dogs had on Science diet. The three dogs were a Keeshond, a Siberian, and a Jack Russell Terrorist. Of the three, only the JRT is still alive today. After switching his food away from Science diet (and potentially corn in general) to a meat and vegetable dominant diet his blood liver values returned to normal ranges.

I'm not making this up, and I wish it weren't true in my case because it would possibly mean my Siberian wouldn't have died from liver cancer complications a year and three months ago. And I wish I had the time in my life to make their food. But since I don't, and since I am officially capable of burning water in the kitchen it's probably better if I trust experts with my Dog's nutrition, even if - heaven forbid - they are making a tidy profit. If my dogs even have a chance of living healthier, longer lives I'm all in. For a point of comparison, my Siberian's vet bills ran about $20k over three years. As much as that sucked, thank heaven we lived within reach of OSU's veterinary hospital or she would have died at least 2.5 years earlier. The dog food can be gold fucking plated for all I care, it will still cost less than we spent on her care. And yes, I'm aware that she might have gotten liver cancer anyway. But again, if there's even a chance of better health from food I'll gladly spend the money.

Beyond that, why is this discussion making you angry? If you don't want to pay more for dog food, don't. If you want to feed your dogs table scraps or even rendering plant product, go for it. Just don't get angry with me or others for making a different choice.
It's been proven that a JRT can thrive on Natural Light cans, cigarette butts, and three day dead deer balls.

Sorry about the other long illness...

Old 02-01-2013, 05:18 AM   #89
cab591
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Our dogs all get Pedigree. Used to do their Large Breed, then switched to Adult Complete Nutrition. It's cheap (comparatively), and appears to keep them healthy. No liver / joint problems, their coats are shiny, etc.

Granted, I've caught my mom sneaking my dogs McDonald's cheeseburgers before, so I guess they'll eat anything...
cab591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #90
shil
deus ex machina

Oddometer: 151
I feed my guys Taste of the Wild dry with a teaspoon of Merrick wet, just for fun. I rotate the flavours.
4.5 & 5 stars on DogFoodAdvisor
Merrick looks better than what I eat.
shil is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: