Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #16
AJ990R OP
motorcycle guy

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
I'm in. Looks like it could be one heck of a trip. Nice bike too. I like the panniers on it. Are they KTM boxes?
Ride safe man.
There technically GOBI boxes, but these were ordered from the Ktm catalog, & came with the insignia on it.
Radioman runs pretty much the same exact ones on his F800GS!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:43 PM   #17
AJ990R OP
motorcycle guy

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinPostal View Post
enjoy your writing style, quick and to the point.
haven't worked this hard on writing anything since high school!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:49 PM   #18
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,683
Looking forward to your report! Keep writing!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #19
AJ990R OP
motorcycle guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Looking forward to your report! Keep writing!
You rock Cannonshot! Thanks for all your time & the incredible tracks!
see you at CADVR 6!
AJ
Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #20
AJ990R OP
motorcycle guy

Day 3- getting to the good stuff

June 18 Mon

I didn't wake up too early, all the work trucks were gone, only my bike & the HD were sitting out there. You can kinda see the electra glide in my photo from the balcony. Since I can't take photos, I promised myself to always take a photo where I stayed at night. My neighbor Marty told me, bring a tarp & wrap it around your tent, a 101 uses he said. I asked about parking my bike under the overhang on the sidewalk somewhere but the hotel clerk said no. Didn't want to just let it sit & get rained on. I kept re-organizing my luggage.
It was cool out, overcast looking, I could smell rain in the air.
Enjoyed my free breakfast & thought about my power outlet situation. Luckily the 2011-12 winter Wi season was mild & I rode my bike a lot, & wired a aux power socket & placed it in the "glovebox" because it was better than having a wire loose & running over or under my handlebars to the factory outlet. Could only have one accessory plugged in now, I choose the Gerbing that day. But you had to duct tape the connection or it would loosen after awhile. Also had to duct tape my rain jacket, as it was coming apart at some seams( I had a mini roll of gorilla tape!).
Meet the HD guy, cool guy, strong Texas accent, was heading to Anchorage for a HD rally. Right off the bat mentions " I do not like having to wear a helmet or traveling with out my pistol" He got at least a half hour jump on me leaving.
Rode for a couple hours, light rain on & off, then the landscape began to change dramatically, reminded me of Washington, huge valleys, thick forests, flashing moose warning signs, the interstate was huge & open, lots of RV/campers, light traffic & spread out at that. I remember thinking, getting to the good stuff. Rode through a little city but then the route turned into a two lane hwy. I was wearing a brand new Kali carbon fiber street helmet(light!), was fine the first two days but then it started bothering my eyes from the wind coming through by my chin, making my eyes water bad, figured it would go away...but this went on for hours. Covered the chin area w/duct tape, fixed!
Rode into Dawson Creek, begining of the AK HWY It began to thunder & lightning in the distance. Fueled up & lubed up the chain(tried to do that at least twice a day), minding my buisness. It was approaching dinner time, some local prick next to me at the pumps says, exact words "whats with you damn americans?...you all have to drive to Alaska?". I looked at him & shrugged my shoulders, said "dunno", that was it. It was Monday, maybe he had a bad day at work. As I looked into the main st in Dawson Creek, there was a steady flow of RV/camper traffic.
It started to rain hard, jumped a curb w/the Katoom at a storefront that looked closed, to hold up for a while. Talked to a lady for 45mins about everything. She told me, Dawson Creeks population was roughly 10k at that time & is expected to reach 100k in 10 years b/c the pipeline & dam projects in the area. I guess Americans are migrating there for the good jobs. I figured out Canada's economy is booming, everything was expensive up here. She told me where to pick-up some bear spray, I wanted some, it was illegal to sell/buy in Wi.
Talked to the guy at the sporting goods store for quite sometime as well, he gave me lots of advice, he said I'll be driving through BC's serengeti. I held up in Dawson Creek for like three hours. Meet more nice people than pricks The sporting good store was literally just 200ft north of the famous begining of Alaska hwy white rock monument. I skipped that photo, was raining a bit yet.

AJ990R screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 04:38 PM
AJ990R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #21
AJ990R OP
motorcycle guy

day 3 cont

June 18

With in a half hour of leaving Dawson creek, things were different, I could tell I was way up here now. I honestly did not see so much as a deer the past three days. Had the camera on a lanyard around my neck like a tourist. Rode by this guy, busted a u-turn to get a pic, no one was around, & he just stopped in the road & so did I, we just starred at each other for a few seconds. First bear I've ever seen not in captivity, from the seat of a bike of course. little brown bear

this got my blood going
only photo not a complete blur
only cruised @ 50mph for a long time, scanning for wildlife, saw another little black bear by the tree line
then outta no where, the HD guy rips by me & waves

We just cruised together for a while, was nice not being by myself
stopped at a A&W root beer for food in Fort Nelson, he insisted on buying, he only had roughly two weeks to do his trip as well. He said he has done the Iron butt run. He joked he was riding to AK to get a t-shirt and then riding home. He got the oil changed on his bike that day. Told me I looked young to be doing this alone. He was only wearing a half helmet and the skin was literally peeling off his face. I told him your face looks a little sunburned, he said so does yours, my cheeks were only a little red. Good guy. Hoteled it. 536mi

Looking over the Ktm at the hotel, this trip was taking its toll. decided I need to fix my power outlet situation . Heard a rattle from the rear over bumps @ low speeds, the rear floating rotor was really loose. And some bolts were now missing for some of the body work, typical v-twin. Experienced my first real night of no darkness this night. Remember 3 kids rode their MX bikes right through town at 11 @ night while I looked over my bike & thinking some jag off would probadly dial 911 for that where I grew up.

AJ990R screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 12:03 PM
Old 02-02-2013, 01:25 AM   #22
AJ990R OP
motorcycle guy

Day 4 AK HWY!

June 19 tues

Woke up to the HD guy knocking on my door, 7:30ish,all the work trucks were gone, and he said he's hitting the road in 15-20min. There was a NAPA type auto parts store in town. Told him thanks for the invite, but I'm gonna fix a few minor issues w/my bike before I leave town. We said goodbye. I could have went with him, but I'm pretty anal about my bike & wanted to address a few things now, not later.
Was beautiful outside, sunny & warm!
Went to the auto parts store & set-up shop right out front by the main door, so I can see my bike when inside. I try never to let my bike leave my sight. Cannot believe I did not get a pic of this operation. I was giving the bike a full, quick, once over.
I had an amazing amount of tools & supplies on my bike, so much so, I forget where it all is hidden. I've read plenty of RTW reports, got all that stuff! I went into the store & bought pretty much all there male & female auto power sockets. Got wiring & connectors, spare fuses. I had spares of everything now. I spent like $25

some bike maintanence :

1 repaired my satelite radio mount w/epoxy,good to go.
2 ended up repairing the male end of my multi(3)power port assy for the tankbag, made it more rain friendly & ran the wire in to the glovebox now.
3 bike bolt check, swapped some bolts around
4 chain adjustment & lube
5 the rear rotor was no big deal, wasn't gonna fail but a nuisance. seen it before on sportbikes @ the track.
*felt better now

My Ktm
-Has the Akrapovic tune map on it, so she was sucking fuel down like a champ, esp day 2 when running 90mph in the wind. fuel light came on a few times after a 130mi worst mpg 31, best 38mpg. (I know, I shoulda set it to stock for the trip, shoulda woulda coulda)
-but easy on the throttle...could go 200mi on a tank of fuel, running with fuel light on for 35-40mi. Ran it outta fuel once in Wi on purpose to see...rode 57mi w/the light on before it started to cough & sputter.
-had the DB killers in the exh
-didn't use my aux fuel yet-but was a peace of mind having it
-this beast felt like a dirtbike w/these tires! whole bike would vibrate when coming to a stop now compared to the stock pirellis
-can still rip wheelies fully loaded!

worked on the bike for a good hour, just relaxing & taking my time, my stuff sprawled out every where, guys from the store came out & asked if needed anything, someone drove by & stopped and took pics of me working on my bike! I remember a lot of the locals that went into the store would leave their cars idle when they went inside for 10-20min, must be habit from winter.
I felt like a traveling freak show at times, esp at fuel stations.
Now sit back & enjoy this next installement of pics, AK HWY was awesome, not too many people, you never had to stop
because it never got dark now! Was amazing

AJ990R screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 09:04 PM
Old 02-02-2013, 01:54 AM   #23
AJ990R OP
motorcycle guy

Day 4 AK HWY!

June 19

I could never get a shot of a bear looking at me!

Watson Lake, I chose to continue on the Ak hwy,rather than taking the Robert Campbell hwy, I had plans to ride the South Canol rd! Picked up a mini bottle of Grand Marnier & beef jerky ( I always have a big bag of beef jerky in the tank bag, than you can skip a meal if nec)for camping this eve, I had a camping stove & some dehydrated food w/me.

South Canol rd entrance time for a 100+mi backcountry dirt road with nothing on it, it brings you to the Campbell hwy....wanted to camp off that road
I wish rode down the road about 3-4mi & it was gated off due to wash-outs

I was disappointed a bit...but hit the Ak hwy & kept trucking towards Whitehorse
finally camped, & hung out with my neighbors til late, cooked mac-n-cheese for dinner. 1am photo

no flash photo

590mi

not too shabby thus far

AJ990R screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 05:10 PM
Old 02-02-2013, 05:53 AM   #24
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Just love Alaska Ride Reports, Yours is very good.
You really missed out on the South Canol though.
One of the best roads up that way.
eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:03 AM   #25
Paul Simpson
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Big adventure, my friend. I'm with ya and thanks for sharing.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #26
Themastermike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Missed it?

I don't think I missed it, but what are the dates of your RR?
Themastermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #27
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Thumb Heck of a ride....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themastermike View Post
Me too. Great story so far. Hoping to go one day soon myself. Gotta see this too.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #28
AJ990R OP
motorcycle guy

good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themastermike View Post
I left MKE at midnight of June 15'th , considered the 16'th my first day, so day 4 was tues the 19'th. I had Jun 15-Jul 1 for this trip. I'll start to document that
*I should mention when staying in Ft Nelson the previous eve, I talked to the hotel owner for a long time,who only was there in summer, he explained to me why I've seen nothing but BC, YT, Oregon & Washington plates on cars, he said "welcome to the Cascadians", Our little country on this side of north america. BC & YT had just jaw dropping views BTW! And he told me that if I was coming through a week earlier, I would have been stuck here cause all the wash outs on the Ak hwy from the heavy rains, he said some towns ran low on food in a weeks time, b/c they could not even re-stock.(don't qoute me on this, but I think RTW Noah was coming south at this time & ran into these delays, also ruffntuff had a delay I think as well, did start to see more adv bikers but all seemed to be heading south).
* So...at the South Canol rd barricades, I sat there for a good 10min thinking, no one to ask any advice, thinking I shoulda took the Campbell hwy but would of had to backtrack a couple hours. It was approx 8pm. I planned & packed for this road the entire 6 months! Got a taste of the skeeters right then & there, I could have easily gotten around the barricades, but I wasn't on a little thumper, recent heavy rains & the size of the Katoom made me a bit nervous,I hadn't even dropped the beast yet! I did love the idea of being far far off the beaten path, but didn't want to get into a sticky situation with no one around, I wanted to get off the super slab & get muddy, my rear tire was wearing flat. The AK hwy didn't seem too touristy though, unlike my Yellowstone expereince, which all the damn people began to ruin it for me a bit, the world seems greatly overpopulated to me & only dumb people seem to breed at times, as my friend puts it, I can be a bit of a misanthropist. Which I think may have been a big reason why I was on this little journey, to get away from everyone. Don't get me wrong, I love meeting new good people! But in heinsight, I shoulda went around the barricades & had a go at that road...I could have always turned around, I had plenty of damn fuel & riding experience

AJ990R screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 08:26 PM
Old 02-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #29
Tim the Enchanter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Thanks for sharing. I'm in!
Tim the Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #30
AJ990R OP
motorcycle guy

Day 5 klondike hwy & Dawson city

June 20-Wed

Ahh first night in my tent, I bought a compact air mattress for camping this trip, woke up to the pitter patter sound of rain on the tent. No rush to get up early, I knew Dawson was close. Packed up everything in the drizzle. Used my butane powered Thermocell mosquito repellent(from Cabelas on sale $40), for the first time that night & also in the morning, I think it worked well, was not windy, I hate bug spray(but had some & a head net just in case).
My camping neighbors from last night were Whitehorse locals, a mom & daughter, they live out of there very nice, 30ft camper, she had an almost brand new lifted chevy 4x4 truck to pull it, daughter had her own car as well, she didn't like that I was a FORD guy! They can only stay at each campground for 30 days, so every 30 days they move, she said the housing costs in the area are ridiculously high. She said there were others in the park doing the same thing.
I hit the Klondike hwy quickly, & just started hitting it, I was gonna arrive in Dawson a day early. Came up on some bikes & was gonna overtake them, then they just started hitting it! Stopped at some famous place known for their cinnamon buns(its in milepost somewhere), they were huge, had a monster sized cookie & milk for breakfast. Topped off with gas there, they only had 87 octane,whatever. A beautiful young Austrailian girl worked there, she said it was just a summer job, she ran the register & was suppose to pump fuel for people & was gonna try to put some in my bike, I can't even put fuel in the Katoom with out spilling it, I told her I got it. We talked & she told me a lot of people were heading to Dawson for the summer solstice this coming weekend. I remember purple "fireweed" covered the ditches on the Klondike hwy, looked cool, of course I didn't get a photo.
Weather started to get nice! Stopped at one more fuel station before Dawson after the klondike meet the Robert Campbell hwy. Adv bikes everywhere, we were a freakshow for the locals

This guy with the white GS1150, had Wi plates he was from madison, he liked my Ducati jacket since he still owned a monster. He was mad that he brought so much luggage & said he was gonna ship some home when he got a chance. He rode the Campbell hwy & said it was terrible, heavy traffic & extremly dusty.

Drove by the start of the Dempster Hwy, looked dusty!
Everyone always talks about the miles of stone piles stacked up from the years of dredging for gold while driving into Dawson, here were the piles along the road

got to Dawson early afternoon.
330mi Day

AJ990R screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 04:50 PM