Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #16
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,215
I'm saving up for a Street Glide. I rented a 2010 for a weekend. I loved it. The dealer probably has a rental fleet.
Why did you sell the 1600? That sounds like a pretty nice bike.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #17
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,749
I've had 7 or 8 bmw's in recent years as well as KTM & Ducati. I've got a '12 EG ultra ltd now. It'll do sweepers at a buck, easy, stable and comfortable. No sway. Handles low speed maneuvering fine, as long as I'm not pushing it around the garage.

It's a quality bike. I've been surprised just how much I like riding it, since my previous rides have all been sport bike, sport tourer, dual sport and adventure.

I don't dress like a pirate either and no one cares.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #18
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
The new frame is much better but by no means is the "vagueness" gone altogether. I'm not sure I'm gonna put a "third link" on '09, like I have on my others, because it isn't bad enough. Ya really need to rent and ride one a few days/miles. I do agree the road glide is the best riding tourer.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #19
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldhippie View Post
The new frame is much better but by no means is the "vagueness" gone altogether. I'm not sure I'm gonna put a "third link" on '09, like I have on my others, because it isn't bad enough. Ya really need to rent and ride one a few days/miles. I do agree the road glide is the best riding tourer.
I disagree about the Road glide.
I put 40,000 miles on a 2003 ultra classic and then bought a brand new 2008 road glide and the bike was excellant except for the air management.I tried every windshield combo possible on that bike and always had very noisy air and buffeting.

I figure it is because the fairing is so far forward and I am 6'1 with a 32" inseam, so I am torso tall and sit tall in the saddle.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #20
milo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
I never cared for the Road Glide with it's fairing way out in front and the buffeting from being located so. Looks like HD is discontinuing the Road Glide, it's not being offered for model year 2014. Prolly going to redesign it and bring it back with the rumored liquid cooled engine later in 2014, or for 2015.
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #21
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
I put 40,000 miles on a 2003 ultra classic and then bought a brand new 2008 road glide and the bike was excellant except for the air management.I tried every windshield combo possible on that bike and always had very noisy air and buffeting.

I figure it is because the fairing is so far forward and I am 6'1 with a 32" inseam, so I am torso tall and sit tall in the saddle.
True about the buffetting. I'm 5 11 with 32 inseam and with a FF helmet and stock windshield, i got buffetting. Much more when I used an Airhawk air seat. (pushed me up about two inches).

I got a taller windvest (I think 16 inches) and dumped the airhawk (for shorter rides) and the buffetting is waaay better.

With a 3/4 open face, there's hardly any buffetting at all with any combo. It's the size of the helmet for me. My big noggin and cruddy Bell helmet made for some noise.

Of course, I still rode 12 grand in four weeks on it with the stock sheild :)

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #22
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
I never cared for the Road Glide with it's fairing way out in front and the buffeting from being located so. Looks like HD is discontinuing the Road Glide, it's not being offered for model year 2014. Prolly going to redesign it and bring it back with the rumored liquid cooled engine later in 2014, or for 2015.
Apparently HD is going to redo their manufacturing faciities of the fairing, and redesign it slightly.

No way would they drop it for any length of time. Hottest bike on the sales floor according to the dealers I talk to.

Wouldn't surprise me if it gets the water cooled heads too. It's the most "sporting" of the big tourers.

Cakeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:13 AM   #23
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Apparently HD is going to redo their manufacturing faciities of the fairing, and redesign it slightly.

No way would they drop it for any length of time. Hottest bike on the sales floor according to the dealers I talk to.

Wouldn't surprise me if it gets the water cooled heads too. It's the most "sporting" of the big tourers.

Cakeater
Yeah,if they could move the fairing and shield a little closer to the rider to fix the windflow issue for the bigger guys then the bike would be awsome.
I did put a 1,200 mile day on my 2008 once,and the bike was great except for the irritating loud,dirty wind issue,the radio is useless with all the wind noise.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 AM   #24
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post

They addressed this (very nicely) with a couple of air damns that mount to the top of the engine guard behind the Shark Nose.

They come standard on any 2012 or newer Road Glide that is fitted with lowers. It can be retrofitted to the older models as well and no tools required ... Just snaps into place. I believe they are $39.99 for the pair.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:54 AM   #25
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
Looks like HD is discontinuing the Road Glide, it's not being offered for model year 2014.
Source?

Edit: Nevermind.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 08:15 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #26
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
Can't tell you how much I appreciate these grown up answers, thanks guys, I have no interest in the "Pirate" look or wanabe Bad guy sillyness.

Bike is very comfortable and still has that classic look and feeling, but without the classic issues.
They are fantastic bikes and no need to Pirate up, my Stich gear works just fine on the Ultra Limited.
Already mentioned - the new frames got it right, no more disconnected feeling.

If stock seat and all that fit you thats great but there are good inexpensive seats you can try before you buy if you need something different. I can't believe how good the Sundowner is on mine and I paid well under 300 bucks for it.

Best bike I've ridden for big mile days and it even works for the wife riding on back for hours on end.

Good luck on your decision!
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #27
ERD
Custom Rider

Oddometer: 286
DISCLAIMER: I run a fleet of these

I agree with pretty much what everyone said and add the following:

Comparing 2008 and 2009+ frame: 2009+ frame is stiffer, etc. but both are still big and heavy and will float at more extreme conditions that might be a walk in the park for a typical ST bike. If your using it to log on the miles in comfort, there are NO differences in terms of comfort between the two. 2009+ frames are longer and more stable at higher speed (90MPH+) but suffers when in manuvering around tight parking lots. The extra length on the 2009+ models are all in the neck and frame and none at the seat.

Comparing Roadking to ElectraGlide: Roadking has a lower and forward handlebar. While the ElectraGlide has a higher and rear-swept handlebar. Comfort and preference are up to the individuals. Those with longer arms and preference for the ST styles seating might prefer the RK more.

Comparing RoadGlide to ElectraGlide: I dislike the RG fairing. HD has redesigned the RG fairing numerous times due to buffeting and vibration issues. The RG fairing, while larger than the EG and frame mounted, is also more forward with some weird aerodynamic design. Most RG owner end up changing out to aftermarket windshields like Klockwerks fix the problem. Most RG will have fairing rattle problem.

ElectraGlide Classic/Ultra/Limited. There are three models to choose from. The Classic is the value leader. No bells/whistles but still comes with radio and tourpak. This is the one to get if you are on a budget. Add the popular options like ABS and cruise you're still thousands below the Ultra. Ultra is a Classic with intercom, CB, lowers, cruise, and extra tourpak lights. The limited has all the bells and whistles. With the exception of ABS, almost every one of the options can be purchased and installed by the user and/or dealer.

ElectraGlide Police : If you don't care for the radio, this might be the one to get. Some dealers will have one or two as leftover orders that they can sell to civilians. They will remove all the police-specific items like lights and siren but leave most of the parts and wiring in. It has a better seat although most dealers replace them with regular seat for civilian sale. ABS standard, no frills paint, and about $1-2K cheaper than a classic!

What do I ride? I ride the Classic for long distance with the wife. The Street Glide for HOG meeting and rallies. The Buell if I want to carve the corners.
ERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #28
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
My BIL has a '06 EG Classic, lives in East Texas and I have ridden it a lot in all those East Texas back roads. I have to confess that it was the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden.....but I always got the feeling of vagueness starting around 80-85 on those two lane paved back roads. The question is, re the new '13 EG Classic with the new frame, 6 speed tranny and 103 motor and I think, better brakes.

How do they compare??? Has that vagueness either disapeared or pushed to a higher speed?

What are the thoughts on the new HS's with the new frame, 6 spd and the 103?

Sounds like your BIL's bike could use some TLC... I ride an '07 EGC, and have no issue with vagueness runnin' 80-85.
Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:25 AM   #29
ERD
Custom Rider

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Down View Post
Sounds like your BIL's bike could use some TLC... I ride an '07 EGC, and have no issue with vagueness runnin' 80-85.
Check the tire pressure and the rear air shock pressure. Seen lots of rear shocks with no air pressure causing vagueness.
ERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #30
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD View Post
Check the tire pressure and the rear air shock pressure. Seen lots of rear shocks with no air pressure causing vagueness.
It sure is a nice mount when the forks have fresh oil and the air shocks are dialed in just right...
Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote