User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
BlipOnTheRadar OP
Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer: 14
Help choosing my newest distraction

Hey gents and ladies, this is my first post, but by far my first bike. I have been riding for more than thirty years, and I think I have riden at least one from every major manufacturer that ever lived in the states. At present I have two road going bikes, a 2001 Ducati SS 900ei, and no, you will pry that one out of my dead hand on the side of a road. Love it. And I have the one style of bike I have never been without since I rode my first one. A 2000 Honda XR650L. Now this one is mildly modified, (read that as a slight understatement.) and only a few miles. (again, an understatement, this time very serious.) And I want to draw a few of you into a discussion for an adventure bike.

Discussion = Debate, remember that please.

Please sound of with your choice of bike, lets keep them to the under ten year old mark just to narrow the field a bit, and above the 600cc motor. I don't care if it is a thumping single, a butter smooth four slug, V motor or Inline. Manufacturer does not matter either, I am a DIY guy, but i am a nut about doing it as right as the budget will allow. Now and then waiting and grounding the bike till it CAN be done correctly. I want a comfortable bike, but my idea of a good road bike is my Duc. I need a bike that will let me run extra legal speeds with out having to work to hard at it.

I will admit to having my eyes set on a Tiger right now, but the KTM has a draw as well. Please feel free to sound off!

Old Dog...

Youth and exuberance are no match for age and trechery.

2001 Ducati SS 900ei, 2000 XR650L (Fred), 1994 YZ/WR 250 2t, 2005 CRF 230f, 1985 XR100.
BlipOnTheRadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
the shoe
I need more Coffee!!

Oddometer: 110
Well... let's start with this:

Since you already have a road bike (beautiful one at that!) and an enduro....
where will you be riding said new bike?
What will it's main mission be?
Budget?
Weight preference?

That may point the folks here in the right direction! I'm also looking for a new bike. Tons of information here on the site for ALL bikes and a huge group of guys that ought to give you the feedback you're looking for.

Best of luck
Old 01-31-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
BlipOnTheRadar OP
Crash Test Dummy

Price right now is not the isue, if I have to wait and buy a year old garage sitter, so be it. But as for use? Think big duel sport? My XR carries soft bags and I use it to chace the Supermotards in my area arround and I get taped for some of the camera duties in the group, comuting and errand hoping, as well as climing in and out of the concreet rivers near my house. This bike will be doing some of that. My Duc sees tight and tecnical twisties, long straights and city comuting. It is not a coffee house sitter. I have done 800 miles in a day on either of them, then I have just gone to the local Japanese Gardens and sat for half a day looking for the right light for the picture I want. I need to be able to shove two or three days of crap, the charging units for my phone, music and my I-Pad. (I do not use GPS, half the fun of having a bike is getting lost.) So I guess that means it needs a fairly long range on a tank, and last but not least, I need to light the road in front of me. I ride at night a lot, and yes, I will burn a car drivers retenas to cinders to make sure that idiot can't clain that they just didn't see me. Pfft... Put down the text widgit and drive you punk. But other than that, it jsut has to be comfortable and i dson't want to buy a $500 sadle to make it that way. Hmm... Now that I look at it... I don't want to much, do I?

OId Dog...

2001 Ducati SS 900ei, 2000 XR650L (Fred), 1994 YZ/WR 250 2t, 2005 CRF 230f, 1985 XR100.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
I have this conversation in my head all the time - I also have a Ducati road bike (multistrada) and a yamaha dual sport (wr250) so my choices would be-
1. Moto Guzzi stelvio ntx - lots of soul, air cooled and straightforward, big tank and extra lights included
2. Tiger 800 xc - that triple, that's all
3. KTM 990 - the most dirt capable, get one before they're gone
4. Yamaha supere tenere - if reliability and support are at the top of the list

Personally, looking what you (and I) have already - id get the Moto Guzzi
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
I have this conversation in my head all the time - I also have a Ducati road bike (multistrada) and a yamaha dual sport (wr250) so my choices would be-
1. Moto Guzzi stelvio ntx - lots of soul, air cooled and straightforward, big tank and extra lights included

I would go for the Tiger 800XC. Comfortable, very easy to ride effortlessly on pavement, very very composed on gravel, 200+ miles on a tankful.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
JustPlainDave
Tubeless Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Help choosing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post

Great list Dave.O. However, you need to invert it!

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
JustPlainDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
I rode all of the above mentioned bike and then some (sans the Guzzi).

I finally narrowed it down to the KTM 990 and the Tiger 800XC. Both have superb motors, handle well at speed and inspire confidence off-road.

I finally chose the Tiger 800XC for the following reasons: (yours may vary)

- the Tiger gets Considerably better gas mileage.
- initial price (new) was $2800 cheaper
- I believe the Tiger will require a great deal less maintenance.
- liked the looks of the Tiger more and that Triple motor is SWEET
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
BlipOnTheRadar OP
Crash Test Dummy

http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/motorcyc...-1200-ntx.html

I think Dave.O is onto somthing with this Guzzi. Have you gents seen this thing? Click the link above if you havent.

Most of the adventure bikes have forgoten that purpose does NOT need to be ugly. Take the BMW for hapenstance...

It is a rock solid as they come. But look square on at the front end! Those mishapen headlights! Dear gods people, WT/Devil! That is a face only a mother can love! It puts me in mind of Bill the cat! The entire F, G, and R, series shares the traits, and the gene pool is geting thin! And unfortunatly most of the segment seems to be going that way. Of the lot, it looks to me that the Triumph has gone over to the dark side the most, but others are geting there. Any one actually own a GuzzI that we can grill for information?

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/..._overview.html

Baring that, how about reliability? The Guzzi of yesteryear was not the most stabnle of platforms, the new stuff?

Old Dog...