User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
MarkC OP
Genuine Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Why all the 'like new' klr650 for sale?

Seems there are many 100~300 mile 2004~2005 KLRs for sale on ebay .

Is there a problem with the late model KLR?

Someone mentioned something about leaking valve stem seals on late models?

Other problems now they are made (assembled) in Thailand?

Saw a new 06' and the engine read 'made in Japan', don't know if it was just that part of the engine made in Japan, or if the whole engine was made in Japan and shipped to Thailand for final assembly.

Anyway, seems there are a lot of used ones for sale with very few miles on them.

Just a coincidence?
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
firerigger
Trauma waiting to happen

Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC
Seems there are many 100~300 mile 2004~2005 KLRs for sale on ebay .

Is there a problem with the late model KLR?

Someone mentioned something about leaking valve stem seals on late models?

Other problems now they are made (assembled) in Thailand?

Saw a new 06' and the engine read 'made in Japan', don't know if it was just that part of the engine made in Japan, or if the whole engine was made in Japan and shipped to Thailand for final assembly.

Anyway, seems there are a lot of used ones for sale with very few miles on them.

Just a coincidence?
Not a coincidence, but not a poor reflection on the KLR either. I believe the problem lies in WIVES. Picture this: Man goes into Kawa dealer. Man sees KLR. Man sees price tag on KLR. Man buys KLR. Man rides home and hides KLR in garage. Wife finds KLR purchase on bank statement. Wife makes man sell KLR... Seriously, tho. I bet you can find the same thing for nearly any kind of motorcycle. Its called an impulse buy, and its not limited to KLRs.
firerigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,220
It looks cools, but once they ride it they realize it's way underpowered and under suspended!
Old 03-20-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by firerigger
Not a coincidence, but not a poor reflection on the KLR either. I believe the problem lies in WIVES. Picture this: Man goes into Kawa dealer. Man sees KLR. Man sees price tag on KLR. Man buys KLR. Man rides home and hides KLR in garage. Wife finds KLR purchase on bank statement. Wife makes man sell KLR... Seriously, tho. I bet you can find the same thing for nearly any kind of motorcycle. Its called an impulse buy, and its not limited to KLRs.
This is a perfect example showing that the line "look how much money I saved" only works one way.

Seriously, I have no idea why so many are on the block. From all I understand KLR's are great machines. Take advantage of the lower price and get on one.
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:15 AM   #5
PoodlePumper
Custom Title User

Oddometer: 1,171
The PO of my bike was a tiny fella. He wanted a big dirt bike and picked up the KLR (oops). He was maybe 5'5" and 140 pounds....not quite what he was looking for.

So, I made out like a bandito.

PP
Old 03-20-2006, 10:16 AM   #6
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,979
My 03 has 20000 miles. It's a keeper

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:22 AM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,811
It's a keeper alright! I love mine... bikes come and go, but the KLR stays.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:38 AM   #8
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,834
What I think happens is someone who rode 20 yrs ago ( 19 year olds don't buy KLR's )and wants to get back into it, buys a bike. Then there is no one to ride with. The group of friends that made riding so special aren't there anymore. Guy rides 5 or six times alone and doesn't touch the bike again. Then the wife gets on him to replenish the checking account. I almost exclusively buy used bikes. Don't worry that there seems to be a bunch for sale, tis the season. If only it would warm up a little.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:47 AM   #9
MNRon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Mine too!

I have an '02 with 20004 miles on it. (Will come out of winter sleep this week I hope.) My wife is now riding it after I lowered it 3" for her. I'm now riding a Wee-Strom purchased new last June. Why a V-Strom, you ask? I had about two weeks last year to get a bike for a family ride out west. (Wife decided her old Yammie wasn't going to do the trick, and she gave her Seca II to our son for the trip.) I couldn't find a used KLR within a reasonable distance. Every time I called on one, it was sold, or a POS. I was going to buy a new one, but nothing available within 250 miles, so I found one of the last two DL-650's in the area, and am happy with it. However, the KLR will NOT leave the family until it's gone it's last mile.

The KLR is sort of an acquired taste. I've used mine as a tourning bike, and my wife is riding it as if it were a GS1150 as well. But many people cringe at the thought of riding one 2500 miles in a week or less. It's also not something that many people would ride on single-track trails even though it can be done.

If you want a "will-do-it-all-but-not-be-the-best-at-any-of-it" bike, the KLR is tough to beat. Go get one of those bargains, change the doohicky and spring, and ride it around the world.

Ron in MN
A16 KLR650 (second one, the A7 went away at 47,000 miles)
K5 DL-650 Wee-Strom... Fast Red
Old 03-20-2006, 10:48 AM   #10
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by firerigger
A Mint Condition

Kawasaki KLR-650

I'm selling an Item for a Friend. If you have any questions please contact him at the email listed below.
dnj5486@aol.com
He will be more than happy to answer all your questions regarding the motorcycle, payment and delivery or pickup options. Good Luck bidding. This bike has a very fair reserve. Don't miss out on this one.

Summer is right around the corner.

Hi, my name is Kevin. I received a huge bonus at work, so I finally bought my dream- my red motorcycle. I paid over $7,500.00 and when I got home, my wife flipped out. I've owned this motorcycle six months and there is a hundred miles on it. My wife says either I go or the motorcycle. I have three sons, ages 8,6,and 3. My wife refuses for me to take a chance on a motorcycle. I give up!
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:49 AM   #11
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig
It looks cools, but once they ride it they realize it's way underpowered and under suspended!
that may be. but what are your options for street legal dual sports.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:59 AM   #12
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig

Well yes------but mostly no--------found out it's a great bike for the most serious adventure riders to ride around the world. Wife said no--you not riding around the world ---out the door it goes
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:02 AM   #13
sillymike
Yep! That's me...

Oddometer: 145
I guess quite a few persons are attracted to the "dual-sport" world... they want to live the adventure... and the KLR is the least expensive of the dual sport bike out there. So they buy one.

A few months later they either love them (and will keep them untill they are totally worn out) or they realize that they are now outside of their confort zone... and they want to go back to their cruiser or cage's.

When I was shopping for my KLR, these were the most common reason for selling.
- It's way to high for me
- It don't really want to ride dirt road after all.
- Motorcyle's are not my thing...

Of the few bikes I saw, only one owner had moved to another dual-sport... a nice KTM... Ho well, it just means there more deals to be had on KLR's
Safe riding,
Michel.
sillymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:20 AM   #14
JohnBG
Slow Moving Three Wheeler

Oddometer: 259
Well if you see any deals on used low mileage KLR's in Florida, let me know. I'm looking for one.

'98.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" (the blonde)
'06 Ural Raven 750 2WD - "Vorona" (the brunette)

Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Collective Forums
An independent site for Ural/Dnepr Enthusiasts
Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums
Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries
JohnBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:22 AM   #15
cap
Vice of Reason

Oddometer: 2,403
All very interesting... But here's the real reason: the newer ones are red. Red sucks.

Kawi went back to green in '06, and the Greens are selling at a $100+ premium to the reds.

That is all.

Cap
cap is offline   Reply With Quote