Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #31
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
No he meant user accounts. Like Windoze.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #32
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
I have three different email addresses on my BB (I think it's the Bold, it's a few years old). Is that what you meant? Or were you meaning, for example, a Sprint account and an AT&T account?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
No he meant user accounts. Like Windoze.
Right, think Windows Login screen. You could load a business profile and switch to a personal profile, and have all settings and e-mail accounts, etc differ between the two. I don't think it will accept two sim cards though where you could use two different carriers.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #33
Philander
Someday...

Oddometer: 347
Love my BB. Have a Torch and a Playbook.

I will definitely be getting a Z10 on the 5th of February.
Philander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:22 PM   #34
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Get another one too. Leave it in the box and put it up in your closet for 10 yrs. and you'll have a collectors item. ;)
Old 01-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #35
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishizl View Post
the CEO reminded me of this guy...
Usually I love the moth but

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #36
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
I had a BB Curve (I think it was a Curve) and I loved that thing. The overall feel and quality was top notch - it just felt right to me. I liked the keyboard and the trackball and everything. Everything except the screen, which was small and low res.
I ended up getting an original Motorola Droid to replace it (I now have an iPhone 4s). I don't use my phone to stream video or anything, but the BB screen was terrible for things like weather radar, which I really like if traveling, especially on the bike. I hate to see BB doing so poorly - they really were innovators at one time.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:59 AM   #37
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
I had a BB Curve (I think it was a Curve) and I loved that thing. The overall feel and quality was top notch - it just felt right to me. I liked the keyboard and the trackball and everything. Everything except the screen, which was small and low res.
I ended up getting an original Motorola Droid to replace it (I now have an iPhone 4s). I don't use my phone to stream video or anything, but the BB screen was terrible for things like weather radar, which I really like if traveling, especially on the bike. I hate to see BB doing so poorly - they really were innovators at one time.
I think the storm is where they lost it, my ex got one and it was the biggest POS phone until they did the OS update....then it still wasn't that great.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #38
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Right, think Windows Login screen. You could load a business profile and switch to a personal profile, and have all settings and e-mail accounts, etc differ between the two. I don't think it will accept two sim cards though where you could use two different carriers.
That sounds cool but it's way beyond my abilities.
Hannda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #39
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,156
There was another company once upon a time, with an ineffective product portfolio, a tiny cadre of loyal customers, and a stock performance so poor that Dell CEO Michael Dell suggested they give their cash reserves back to the shareholders because they were wasting everyone's time. They were called Apple Computer.

That company's stock traded at $451.83 this afternoon, and Michael Dell is now probably hosting garage sales in Austin. The blueprint is there for Blackberry to return to glory, they just have to follow it.
jdiaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #40
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
There was another company once upon a time, with an ineffective product portfolio, a tiny cadre of loyal customers, and a stock performance so poor that Dell CEO Michael Dell suggested they give their cash reserves back to the shareholders because they were wasting everyone's time. They were called Apple Computer.

That company's stock traded at $451.83 this afternoon, and Michael Dell is now probably hosting garage sales in Austin. The blueprint is there for Blackberry to return to glory, they just have to follow it.
Apple survived those dark days for one big reason. They were (and are) the industry standard for professional designers. Even when everyday consumers weren't buying their products, they were still what nearly all graphic designers and commercial printers used. That held them through until they had the vision to produce new products that everyone wanted.

BB has maintained somewhat of a similar niche with encrypted business communication. It remains to be seen if they can do what Apple did.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #41
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post

Michael Dell is part of a consortium buying Dell for about 24 billion and taking it private.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:11 AM   #42
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Michael Dell is part of a consortium buying Dell for about 24 billion and taking it private.
That's probably why he is trying to raise money with garage sales.
jdiaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #43
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
Apple survived those dark days for one big reason. They were (and are) the industry standard for professional designers. Even when everyday consumers weren't buying their products, they were still what nearly all graphic designers and commercial printers used. That held them through until they had the vision to produce new products that everyone wanted.

BB has maintained somewhat of a similar niche with encrypted business communication. It remains to be seen if they can do what Apple did.
That doesn't seem to be as big anymore, at least out of designers I know more are going to PC's because it's the same hardware for 50% less when you are talking workstation VS MacPro. Even if OSX has a performance boost that can easily be changed with 2,000 dollars of upgrades that you can spend on the Dell or HP. Plus they have better/quicker on site service in my experience.

Apple is still a big company but they aren't what they were even 2 years ago, just look at recent stock prices/sales figures. Samsung now is the top smart phone manufacturer, and gaining in tablets.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #44
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
That doesn't seem to be as big anymore, at least out of designers I know more are going to PC's because it's the same hardware for 50% less when you are talking workstation VS MacPro. Even if OSX has a performance boost that can easily be changed with 2,000 dollars of upgrades that you can spend on the Dell or HP. Plus they have better/quicker on site service in my experience.

Apple is still a big company but they aren't what they were even 2 years ago, just look at recent stock prices/sales figures. Samsung now is the top smart phone manufacturer, and gaining in tablets.
Apple are clearly missing their 'Great Leader' - they need a new charismatic cult leader as the current one just 'aint doing the job.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #45
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Apple are clearly missing their 'Great Leader' - they need a new charismatic cult leader as the current one just 'aint doing the job.
That might be a real issue, remember the keynotes were these huge things that tons of people (well us nerds) would watch? That was HUGE for marketing, and the new guy just doesn't have the showmanship.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: