Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
edsau OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
DR650 Fuel consumption

Hey Guys,

I have been reading this forum for a while after buying my 2009 DR and I love it.

I have modified the suspension and added a powerbomb header and a FMF Q4 and had a mechanic do the jet as I wasnt feeling adventurous.

Now I have the 17L fuel tank on it and I feel like I am not getting decent milage.

To and from work is a 10km round trip with no highway and I am getting around 200km per tank or around 8.6km per L. That seems like a lot more fuel than I would normally use on a bike, is this normal?

Thanks !

matt
edsau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
Red Herring
Gnarly Commuter

Oddometer: 112
If your calculations are right, you are getting 20 MPG, and something is definitely not right. You should be getting at least double that.

By my calculations you are getting 26 MPG, which still sucks. How big did you jet it, and how does it run?
Old 10-22-2013, 04:35 AM   #3
edsau OP
n00b

My math is pretty horrible, almost as bad as the fuel! Lol

I'm not sure what he did in regards to the rejet, I'm still learning my way around the engine. I'm beginning to think I should buy a kit and do it myself based off instructions from the forum.

Runs quite well, I don't think it runs rich, has nice torque and feels okay.

Is there anything else that could be broken or faulty causing the consumption to be so high ?
Old 10-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #4
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,347
commuted on a 97 dr650se for 5 years in north Texas.
fitted a 39mm FCR carburetor, started out in the mid to low 40s (mpg).
over time this fell slightly but steadily into mid 30s. i was at war for better range continually. had the tank off so often it was stupid. in the end, sold the FCR & reinstalled the stock BST jetted (only ended up in the 40s). this was unacceptable to me so i bought a dr350se & sold the big bore bike.
i believe the FCR slide or slide seal may have been worn causing the poor mpg. now the dr350se rewards with mpg in 60s for keeping it stock.
and never jacking with jetting or dealing with idle/ running issues.
coupled with a desert gas tank, i fill up every 2-3 weeks for about $12.
good stuff

plugeye screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 05:30 AM
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Do a google search on it and especially look in the DR650 specific forum here. Some owners get up to 60 mpg and I can force mine to 40 mpg but typically get 45 - 50 mpg. Carb parts wear, O-rings get hard, something's not right with yours. Unless you're riding 80mph everywhere you can get a lot better.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,757
I left mine stock,it always gets 50mpg,even on the crap CA imitation gasoline.

Once the jetting is begun on some DR's it never ends and some end up buying a stock airbox and carb/muffler and starting over. There are faster bikes out there,and better bikes to hop up.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
Schroeder
Schroeder

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsau View Post
My math is pretty horrible, almost as bad as the fuel! Lol

I'm not sure what he did in regards to the rejet, I'm still learning my way around the engine. I'm beginning to think I should buy a kit and do it myself based off instructions from the forum.

Runs quite well, I don't think it runs rich, has nice torque and feels okay.

Is there anything else that could be broken or faulty causing the consumption to be so high ?
Check air filter (dirty or plugged from age) and float level (gas could be running out the overflow on rough terrain)
Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 320
I have an old school 1990 model and average 17km/L (40Mpg) running everything stock, on the rich side.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,224
Quote:
around 8.6km per L.
Let's start with, are you doing the math right... Number of km divided by number of liters put into the tank at a fill up, not the size of the tank, but the amount of petrol you put in.

If that 8.6km/L is still holding true, then look for a puddle, because fuel is dripping somewhere, or you're leaving the bike to sit and idle for hours at a time. If there isn't a puddle underneath the bike, is your oil level rising? That fuel is going somewhere, and it's not likely going through the combustion process, or both plugs would be fouled in pretty short order. If the fuel isn't on the ground, it's likely leaking while the bike is turned off because of a stuck float in the carb.

Hammering in the mountain twisties, my built DR650SE is still averaging 15km/L, and under more normal conditions, I'm above 19km/L. My 5500lb, 4WD, V8 pickup truck is getting almost 8.6km/L.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
i get 50mpg on my modified bst carb
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,814
I recorded in Excel all the fuel I put in my '06 DR650. Over the time I owned it, my average was 4.96 L / 100 km (around 20 km / L), or 47.3 US MPG. It had no engine or exhaust modifications.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #12
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,712
Quote:
Hey Guys,

I have been reading this forum for a while after buying my 2009 DR and I love it.

I have modified the suspension and added a powerbomb header and a FMF Q4 and had a mechanic do the jet as I wasnt feeling adventurous.

Now I have the 17L fuel tank on it and I feel like I am not getting decent milage.

To and from work is a 10km round trip with no highway and I am getting around 200km per tank or around 8.6km per L. That seems like a lot more fuel than I would normally use on a bike, is this normal?

Thanks !

matt
That is DEFINITELY not normal. You should be getting at least 19km/l, even running it somewhat hard.

Did the mechanic install a 2nd petcock on the tank and leave it unattached to anything, with the lever on PRIME?
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #13
edsau OP
n00b

Thanks for the input guys, it is clear I definately have an issue. Filled up this morning and put 18.6L in to the bike (I was very empty) and I had exactly 200km on the odo, so thats rat shit.

I am not very mechanically minded but Ill clean the airfilter tonight and Ill check a few other things. I have no idea where the fuel float is so I might have to be off to the mechanic again.

I do appreciate the feed back and Ill keep everyone posted with what I find. Any other suggestions and help are still welcome ;D
Old 10-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #14
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,712
Quote:
Thanks for the input guys, it is clear I definately have an issue. Filled up this morning and put 18.6L in to the bike (I was very empty) and I had exactly 200km on the odo, so thats rat shit.

I am not very mechanically minded but Ill clean the airfilter tonight and Ill check a few other things. I have no idea where the fuel float is so I might have to be off to the mechanic again.

I do appreciate the feed back and Ill keep everyone posted with what I find. Any other suggestions and help are still welcome ;D
Does the bike roll easily in neutral?

If the mechanic can't fix it straight away, I'd work on it yourself. The DR is pretty darn simple.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:18 AM   #15
el capitan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
edsau, there are a few factors that can contribute to such an outrageous consumption:

* sticking choke
* oversize main jet
* wrong needle position
* worn out needle
* worn out needle jet
* dirty air filter
* oversize pilot jet
* float level too high

If you want to know more about the BST carb visit http://www.mxrob.com/mxrob_012.htm - you´ll need lots of time to read everything but end up understanding the stock carb better.

Normally for the DR 650 SE consumption between low 40s and mid 60s are reported. My bike with Keihin FCR 39 MX did not consume more than with the stocker, which is 6 l/100 km for angry citytraffic-only-riding down to <5 l/100 km for quick overland riding. Others even report 4-4,5 l/100 kms. Your bike sips twice as much, so something (or even a combination of the factors stated above) is heavily wrong.

Check for the sticking choke first - you might not notice it, for the lever and cable still move normally, but the plunger inside the carb might be in the ON-position constantly. Before checking jets make sure the needle jet and needle are OK; even mx_rob spent some time not getting the jetting right until he noticed that the needle jet was worn. Check the float level. With your configuration (or even with opened up airbox and free-flowing exhaust) you should end up in the mid 40s at least.
el capitan is offline   Reply With Quote