Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
spagthorpe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,749
Jeep JK Unlimited vs Toyota FJ Cruiser

Drove both of these today. Nothing really crazy, but putting around town some. Jeep seems to get a lot more power from their 4.0L than Toyota does, but maybe the FJ is a lot heavier. Don't know. They seem to share similar roles. I was wondering what you all thought about yours, and if you drove both. Would be used as primary transportation, camping, getting around in winter. Yeah, I know the gas mileage on both kind of sucks.

Biggest drawback to the Jeep I drove, both are used BTW, is that it only comes with a soft top, and there is no secure storage anywhere. Plus, noisy as hell on the freeway because of the wind. The FJ certainly drove nicer, but the lack of power annoying.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe
Biggest drawback to the Jeep I drove, both are used BTW, is that it only comes with a soft top, and there is no secure storage anywhere.
Ammo can bolted to rollbar works.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 27,178
Cross shop the Xterra as well. The Jeep and FJ are too weird for me.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt
Cross shop the Xterra as well.

Look at the 05+ with the Offroad package
pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirahna

We have one. Great vehicle. More powerful than the Jeep. I am surprised you say the FJ is even more of a dog, hard to imagine that! (Never drove one, neighbor down the street has one, that white top is too gimmicky for me.)
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
Arizona
Sh*t, what now??

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirahna

I have an 06 Xterra Off Road, love it. The 4.0 engine has lots and lots of power, fun to drive. Suspension is very good and with four full doors its much more functional than the FJ. If I was looking for only an amazing 4x4 it would be the FJ but the Xterra has been everyplace I have asked of it and provide better functionality on the road.

"What dosen't kill you, shorten's your life"
Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
PaulGinAZ
FNG

Oddometer: 259
It is interesting to me that you would find the Jeep peppier than the FJ. I just looked on Edmunds.com and it seems like they are within spitting distance from a weight perspective (4079 for the FJ and 4080 for the Wrangler) but the FJ buries the Jeep from a horsepower and torque perspective (max ratings of course). The FJ produces 258 horsepower and 270 lbs-ft versus 205/240 for the Jeep. Granted, we don't have any comparison points in regards to the delivery of the horsepower and torque ratings from the websites.

I would be curious to see if the FJ you drove was a manual transmission; the manual model runs in AWD mode all the time whereas the automatic is selectable between modes. We have a 2008 FJC with all of the goodies from ATRAC and rear locking diff and 16" wheels and tires and it has been a great vehicle. The one huge shortfall in my opinion is that the car has monsterous blind spots that are partially fixed by spot mirrors.

It does seem like they would easily be cross-shopped but by choosing the FJ you could easily put about $10k back into your pocket if similarly equipped.

Links: http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/jeep...731/specs.html and http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/toyo...684/specs.html
PaulGinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
I currently drive a 10 frontier 4x4 with the 4.0 liter Nisan V6.
I always liked the Jeep. I also drove the FJ.

The Nissan engine is superior in every way. better gas mileage, a lot more power than both of them.

I was really disappointed from the jeep's 3.8 engine. bad gas mileage and no power. I really wanted to like it, but...
Old 07-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
spagthorpe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,749
Problem I have with Nissans, and by that, I mean the light trucks, is that I fit in them funny. The ergos are really weird for me being 6'5", and a lot or torso. Just not as comfortable as I am in a Tacoma/4Runner, and the FJ was actually a little more comfortable. I will go find a 06-07 XTerra to drive, and see how it goes.

Also looking at 4x4 F150s. They are in the same mpg range, price, and I fit in them well. Yeah, apples to oranges, but similar functionality.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:57 AM   #10
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
huh... whe have you been drving one the last time?
more space than a jeep or fj. definitely.

The older Nissans were that way, yes. the new ones are really spacious.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
Redbean
Inanely Adventurous

Oddometer: 7,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid
We have one. Great vehicle. More powerful than the Jeep. I am surprised you say the FJ is even more of a dog, hard to imagine that! (Never drove one, neighbor down the street has one, that white top is too gimmicky for me.)
Just bought a used '09 Xterra 4X4 off a lot with 20K miles on it.

Love it, but can't seem to coax more than 20mpg out of it.
Redbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:30 AM   #12
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
I've had both a JK (2 door) and an FJ (still own). I understand what you are saying about the feeling of the FJ being slightly sluggish, especially at low speeds it does feel heavier or something.

Put your foot down in both vehicles though and see what happens. The FJ comes to life pretty quickly and starts feeling like a much larger engine to me. My FJ gets better mileage than my JK did also, even though the FJ is lower geared.

In the interest of full disclosure, I may be biased...I had a LOT of trouble with the Jeep in the 6 months I owned it. It was in the dealer shop for around 40 days in 6 months (one visit of 2.5 weeks straight) and Chrysler didn't return phone calls or emails. My case was assigned to a guy named Josh, who was apparently on vacation for 3 months as I NEVER spoke to him. Only other people who said that the case was "Josh's" so they couldn't help me and he would contact me soon.

I wanted to like the Jeep but frankly it was a real heap of junk and I was tired of parts falling off, walking after it died at interstate speeds and being ignored by Chrysler. I had a TJ previously and I wish I hadn't sold it as it was great.

Anyway, got the FJ when the Jeep left me without dashlights and radio 70 miles from home. Just damned sick of the BS.

The bad: FJs collect mud and rocks in the forward portion of the rear wheel well, clean it out once in a while and it doesn't cause me any issues. The plastic for door panels and such seems to scratch easily (jeeps suffer from this too). Like a Jeep, the windshield is a rock magnet. If you want the rear door access for passengers, the FJ isn't the easiest to get into/out of and the rear seat doesn't fold flat without removing the seat cushions. None of this has caused me any heartburn really. I feel it has been a good value for me.
milq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbean
Just bought a used '09 Xterra 4X4 off a lot with 20K miles on it. Love it, but can't seem to coax more than 20mpg out of it.
That's probably about it. We don't keep close track on ours any more but I'd say 17 or 18 is around what we get. We don't distinguish between "City" and Highway" as it isn't driven on either.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #14
Redbean
Inanely Adventurous

Oddometer: 7,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid
That's probably about it. We don't keep close track on ours any more but I'd say 17 or 18 is around what we get. We don't distinguish between "City" and Highway" as it isn't driven on either.
I checked it once, city/highway with a little off road mixed in and got almost 20 mpg. I like the vehicle a lot and figure the low MPG is the price to pay for the performance.

I like the performance!
Redbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #15
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,251
The jeep has the potential to be a better crawler with greater suspension articulation and such. The FJ is a more civilized street ride I think. My big beef with all the current japanese utes is the power/mpg is just lousy. It baffles me how larger, heavier, dramatically more powerful full size trucks use no more fuel. Something is strange here.

I currently have an F250 4x4 turbo diesel, extended cab, ong bed monster of a truck. It uses no more fuel (and less towing) than my 150hp regular cab 'yota pickup did.

The new Ford Raptor is amazing off road, has 411 or 320hp, 35" tires and gets 14/18mpg. I want one badly, but don't have the $$ or any good reason to swap out the old diesel for it

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: