Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2015, 04:55 PM   #1
spook120 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Two door or four door Wrangler Rubicon??

Recently I have the itch to get a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Other day I took a 2 door Wrangler out for a test drive and frankly it was rather squirrely. The steering seemed way to sensitive for such a short wheel basis. Anyway, was wondering about getting the 4 door Unlimited Wrangler...don't need or like the extra doors but am concerned about the stability and practicality of the two door model. Have a pick up to haul and tow, this would just be my daily driver toy...Live in the tundra so winter issues apply. Advice? Thanks in advance.
spook120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
resqdoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I personally prefer the 2 door and it's tighter turning radius. That's because I drive in tight off road environments. The 2 door Wrangler is much more "squirrely" on the highway and especially in icey conditions. The more modifications done the squirrelier (I'm not sure that's a real word) they can get too.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 27,089
I guess that depends - how many of your sorority sisters do you carpool with?
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:33 PM   #4
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,329
I've owned 5 two door models and currently own a 4 door. To me they are really very different vehicles. The two door versions are fun, somewhat sporty (believe it or not) machines that are great on trails or in the woods, great at the beach, great on a sunny day. The 4 doors are less of all of those things but offer more utility and daily usability.

In short, if I didn't need the 4 door I wouldn't own the 4 door, but it's still more jeep than any other 4 door vehicle and I love jeeps. Though the two door feels more squirrelly at first most people get used to it and don't even notice it after a while. If you really want to experience squirrelly drive a CJ or YJ.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
spook120 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This would be my 4th Wrangler...but it has been awhile since I owned one. I have my eye on a Rubicon Hard Rock that happens to sitting on the dealer lot... When I took it for a test drive it was rather disturbing as it seemed all over the road...to the point that I mentioned it to the dealer as almost spooky. Practicality is secondary to me, but sure don't want to my daily driver to be an accident waiting to happen. Not sure about the college girl comment...as I could be a Grandfather to them. Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #6
jersey jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
My friend has a 2 door Willys model, doesn't seem very squirrely to me, at least on dry pavement. Actually seems more stable than I thought it would be. Goes around turns pretty damn good too, it does feel surprisingly sporty. Now the '78 CJ5 I once had....that was squirrely.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #7
DLFLHT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
I've had both - a '13 and a '14. There is no doubt that you have to sit up and drive with the 2 door where the 4 door drives like an SUV. If I were to get another, it would be the 4 door.
DLFLHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:48 PM   #8
spook120 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the replies. Going to do back to back test drives tomorrow. Then will decide which best fits my needs.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:09 PM   #9
grantsdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196

Nothing wrong with a 4-door.

This was taken on the trail from Coyote Lake, near Shaver Lake, CA. We went to Coyote under moonlight the night before.

grantsdad screwed with this post 05-01-2015 at 10:50 PM
grantsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:19 AM   #10
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 866
My four door steers loosely or wanders or feels squirrely a bit. Other forum talk sez the same things. They are not a rack and pinion and the suspension is built for off roading etc
They all do that, and you'll get used to it and like it .

We had a '99 TJ two door and loved it, but wanted a four door so we traded an '09 Shelby GT500 (before I got in big deep trouble) for a '13 Moab edition 4dr with plenty of bells and whistles. I put some Cooper Discoverer STT 285X70 R17 on it and it drives much better. That is the biggest tire will fit without spacers or lift but I did have to put a washer under one the front knuckle bump stop to keep it from rubbing the sway bar when turned to lock.

A shorter wheel base may be better for four wheeling/high centering but sometimes a longer wheel base is better and will ride better I think.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:33 AM   #11
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 853
Towing

So anybody have experience towing with a 4 dr?

I'd need to tow a small travel trailer (about 2500 lb). The thought of doing that with my previous Jeeps, a couple of CJs,and a YJ, is flat out scary.

Any input on the newer ones?
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:33 AM   #12
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron View Post

I'd need to tow a small travel trailer (about 2500 lb). The thought of doing that with my previous Jeeps, a couple of CJs,and a YJ, is flat out scary.

2500 lbs is well within limits for a JKU and you'll be fine.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #13

Oddometer: 6,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I guess that depends - how many of your sorority sisters do you carpool with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses
Well, money comes and goes; time just goes...
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:57 PM   #14
DLFLHT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron View Post

The JKU is rated for 4,000 lbs. Hell, they put that Pentastar in the Promaster vans now and they're using them as motorhome chassis. I'd think they'd be underwhelming in that application.
DLFLHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:15 PM   #15
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,740
I've been driving these a lot lately. The 2-door Rubicons are a tad squirrely at highway speeds, the Sahara or Sport, not so much. It's just the chunky mud tires on the Rubicon. The 4-door I didn't notice it so much. The 2-door with the manual transmission actually does drive kind of sporty. The auto transmission in the Wranglers is really due for an update.

I originally started looking at the 4-doors for utility I guess, but the more I looked at Jeeps, the more I wanted a 2-door.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: