User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
Bicyclist OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
self storage facilities?

I'm in Utah with my dirt bike on a trailer. I expect to ride around here for a bit and then go home. I also want to ride the passes in CO in about a month and it doesn't make sense to tow the rig home and then turn around and tow it back. I'm thinking that I should leave it in a self storage facility in, say, Montrose, CO. I know nothing about such things, but think that I'd want to have it stored inside in one of those units with a roll up door. What do I need to know? Do they have a minimum rental time, or can you rent for 1 month? Any fees other than rental? What can you think of that I should know? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #2
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,727
Some facilities don't permit fuel or fuel-burning devices to be stored. Some don't have 24/7 access. Some have no cameras.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:52 AM   #3
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,791
We bought a convertible over the winter... but didn't want to drive it home from the dealership, so we put it in storage.. we got a good deal on it, cuz hey, who buys a convertible in a snow storm during the depths of a record New England winter (this guy ).

I know... sounds silly to put it in storage.. but there was a car in the barn that had to be sold to make room for the new one..

So we did just what you are describing: rented a storage unit..literally around the corner from the dealership..

It was an Uncle Bob's.. which I understand is a chain throughout the country.. http://www.unclebobs.com/

Way easier and less of a hassle than I expected.. It was clean, well organized and reasonably secure (password protected gates, cameras, etc)

They pro-rated it to the day.. so whatever the monthly fee is, divide it by 30.

They did require proof of ownership and proof of insurance. Other than that, there were no silly fees and no BS of any sort..
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #4
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,756
I have 2 storage units. One Uncle Bobs and another Public Storage.

Yes, it's a great idea. Most don't have contracts but some do. Be aware of billing date if you are short term.

Also as I found out the hard way, you are responsible for anything that happens. Even when their stupid drain line freezes, cracks and pours water all over your stuff. Because we all know that it makes complete sense to use PVC pipe in an unheated storage unit in New England when the pipe is not pitched to drain.

Other than that, don't tell them you are storing a bike. Opens up more questions. Rent the unit, do what you want, eff them. Can you tell I'm miffed at storage unit places?

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:21 AM   #5
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,953
Yeah.

Just go into the office of the facility of your choice.

Tell them you need a 10x20 rollup for one month (or two. whatever.)

Pay in advance.

Lock you bike and trailer in the unit and drive home.

It will be there when you get back next month.

A two-second Google Maps search found several mini-storage places in Montrose...
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #6
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 4,150
I would use a disc lock instead of the usual padlock. The disc lock will make it more difficult for thieves to cut off. I have kept bikes in a storage facility and had 2 disc locks on the door.

I would also find a facility with living on site management and if possible an indoor unit. The outdoor units are more likely to get hit first. I work a lot of burglaries at storage facilities. You would be surprised at how many have cameras, but the things don't work or record any activity which could be reviewed later if there is a crime.

I'd contact whoever the law enforcement is for the area where you are looking at storage units and get their recommendations for the one that gets broken into on the fewest occasions (they all get burglarized).
Badge320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,116
I don't think it will apply to what you want to store but to toss it out there anyway:

Before our new house was built we sold our old house....99% of our stuff went into storage. July 4 we started to move. It had gotten so hot inside the storage unit, all of my wifes shoes are destroyed....some the sole melted off. Most of the electronic stuff was dead, I have a late 70's pinball machine that had the powersupply just melt, and some chips go bad....had to have custom chips made for the machine. We lost tons of stuff.

This is missouri in the summer, I bet your location gets hotter.

Just something to keep in the back of your mind.....do you have anyone you could leave it with....if it was here I would say I will put it in the corner of my shop, and there it will sit unless I need behind it.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #8
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Before our new house was built we sold our old house....99% of our stuff went into storage. July 4 we started to move. It had gotten so hot inside the storage unit, all of my wifes shoes are destroyed....some the sole melted off. Most of the electronic stuff was dead, I have a late 70's pinball machine that had the powersupply just melt, and some chips go bad....had to have custom chips made for the machine. We lost tons of stuff.
I suppose that's why some facilities offer climate-controlled units.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #9
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,953
I doubt theft or heat will be problems in Montrose Colorado...
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #10
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 6,860
EJTV's been doing it for years, storing his bike and gear between rides all over the west.

I haven't seen him down here in the basement, but perhaps you could PM him...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692045
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #11
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,384
Post your request in the CO/UT Regional forums here. You may end up with someone offering to store it at the house for free.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:59 PM   #12
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,160
I'd second the vote for a disc lock. But many places won't let you mount two locks--that second one is for them to lock out past-due rentals. After that, two locks attract attention, IMHO. "Hey, what's in there that's worth two locks?"

I put my lock closest to the wall, with the key hole facing the wall. I think it'd be hard to pick it (harder with less space) and being in the "pocket" of the wall gives the thieves less room to run their grinding/cutting gear.

But in the end... Insurance exists for a reason.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:26 PM   #13
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Public Storage around here doesn't use padlocks. They sell you a key tumbler that fits into a bore in the roll door. For other storage outfits, I use one of these:

Old 05-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #14
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Rented one while building my home and one day I showed up it had a different lock on the door. Turned out a meth head and his underage twat girlfriend broke in and cleaned me out, tools, new appliances, etc. I'd look for a higher security based lot with cameras etc, its not fun spending a week visiting pawn shops and hunting down druggies to get your stuff back.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:37 AM   #15
Bicyclist OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Looks like I'm going to have to haul home, anyway. I noticed that I've lost the trailer tag.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: