User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
hydawaydoc OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
V-Strom clutch

The final phase in the building of my V-Strom/CSM hack ( Charlies Doggie Hack) has just been completed; at least until Claude comes up with some more ideas. The last thing done, and one of the best modifications made, was the clutch basket rebuild by Terry Hinkle. The "chudder", especially between 3000-4000 RPM was so bad I had about made up my mind to go with a differnt bike. Fortunately at last years National Sidecar Rally I was talking with a gentleman with the same bike who had experienced the same problem and had gone to Terry for help. He let me ride his rig and I was impressed to say the least. I made arrangements for the same rebuild. I now have it completed and the results are amazing. From 2000 RPM on up the engine is as smooth as a V twin can get. Now 6th gear is useable at other than high speed interstate travel. If you have a DL 1000 V-Strom look into this option.

Charlie
hydawaydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,292
Which Terry Hinkle? The Werks Parts Terry Hinkle? This guy -- LINK ?
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
hydawaydoc OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Yes. That Terry Hinkle. WWW.werksparts.com

Charlie
hydawaydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
Jimm Dandy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Have heard nothing but GOOD things bout that guy and his work
Jimm Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
realshelby
FLAKE

Oddometer: 82
hydawaydoc called me a while back and told me about his rig and what it was doing and asked if I could help. He had ridden a sidecar rig with the modified clutch basket so he knew what they were supposed to feel like. Sidecar rigs put more load on the clutch ( and all the drivetrain components ) than a standard bike. That can REALLY bring out the weak points in the clutch basket design. His shop called me about the clutch basket, had some questions about it and I was able to satisfy them. They were not skeptical but had no experience with the WERKS baskets. He is lucky to have a shop that truly cares about what they do and making sure it is done right!

hydawaydoc called again to tell me how pleased he was with the baskets performance after he got it back home from his first ride. That is what makes it worthwhile to me!

Thank you all for your kind words.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for V Strom. Eliminate Chudder for good.
WERKS Final Drive Minders for Beemers available HERE
realshelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
Hackpirate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Fortunately at last years National Sidecar Rally I was talking with a gentleman with the same bike who had experienced the same problem and had gone to Terry for help. He let me ride his rig and I was impressed to say the least.
That was my sidecar outfit you rode. I'm glad that you went ahead with this mod and that it turned out to your expectations. After I installed Terry's modified basket and experienced the changes it made to my V-Strom it's a no brainer to testify to his work with full confidence that others won't be disappointed.

Hackpirate
Hackpirate is offline   Reply With Quote