User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,898
Jeep Patriot or Compass - how are these things?

I'm looking at buying either a new Jeep Patriot or Compass for my wife. It would be a base vehicle with CVT and Airconditioning, and little else. These things are dirt cheap and if she killed it, I wouldn't care. I'm just curious about how these 2.4 litre world engines and CVT transmissions hold up. I'm not interrested in other brands - she seems to have her heart set on one of these and probably the Patriot. I don't like the Caliber - it looks like a Cockroach. Give me your thoughts.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,702
buddy has a fairly well optioned Caliber, so far, no issues, even after a few Saskatchewan winters.

I don't know anyone with a lot of miles on either model though, so longevity will likely be, well, Chrysler-ish.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,903
my brother works at the plant where the compass is made and he bought one, for what a huge discount is worth.

it's not a bad little car. awd, cvt, decent mileage.

not my first choice, but a japanese cvt should be ok.

fit and finish has improved quite a bit since launch.

needless dickery
green hell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,663
info here

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/0...ep-compass.htm
Old 07-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

I was reading that the CVT is made by Jatco - which is a part of Nissan - and they are actually supplying many auto makers all around the world. They manufacture these units for Chrysler in Mexico. I've got a feeling as Manufacturer's start trying to improve the mileage out of these cars equipped with automatic transmissions, that quite soon you won't be able to buy anything but a CVT. Some of the new 6 speeds sound like horribly complicated designs.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
I was reading that the CVT is made by Jatco - which is a part of Nissan - and they are actually supplying many auto makers all around the world. They manufacture these units for Chrysler in Mexico. I've got a feeling as Manufacturer's start trying to improve the mileage out of these cars equipped with automatic transmissions, that quite soon you won't be able to buy anything but a CVT. Some of the new 6 speeds sound like horribly complicated designs.
cvt is currently limited in it's application, but will definitely start increasing.

at the same time manufacturers are working on 7 and 8 speed automatic transmissions as well.

personally, i think a lot of these 6 speeds are poorly calibrated and tend to intrude a bit too much.

needless dickery
green hell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

[quote=green hell]at the same time manufacturers are working on 7 and 8 speed automatic transmissions as well.

You have got to be kidding? All this in search for the elusive 1 mile per gallon mileage increase? I always think that some machine that is constantly changing its gears is going to be prone to failure. The evolution of transmission fluids to what we have now in the way of specialized fluids - that even some dealers can't keep track of (from what I've been reading) does not bode well for the individual who wants a simple vehicle that was offered for sale but a few years ago.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,987
I haven't done enough research other than renting and witnessing these on the road but what is the difference between a patriot, compass, liberty or cherokee? They are all the same size vehicle (within ten percent or so) and every one I've driven felt identical.

I must be missing something but it seems an obvious case of selling a number of suvs that cannibalize each others sales?
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm looking at the Patriot or Compass from the perspective of merely a fwd vehicle - not wanting the 4wd. Nice square corners to show you where the vehicle ends, good on gas, good safety rating and cheap as hell. The young son will also be cutting his teeth on this thing for his first few driving years - the 4 banger will keep his driving under the speed limit. I suspect the the Liberty or other larger Jeep vehicles come with the bigger engines and options that I don't need.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,064
We replaced a Jeep Cherokee with the Patriot in 4WD, have had it over a year, great car and great milege, very happy with it.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Gosh, anyone got anything bad to say about these things - (except that the Compass has "girly" styling) - anyone even had leaks in the roof? I've been on Jeep forums and saw the usual cheer leading crowd - I was thinking that I would be getting the more realistic slant on things by asking you guys. You usually go for the dark underbelly on most North American made vehicles.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #12
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,710
I can say that the Dodge implementation of the Renault/Nissan CVT in the Caliber sucks big fat donkey balls. SWMBO and I rented one and took it on a loop down to Vegas through Death Valley two years ago.

It had crappy mileage, the RPMs changing up and down zipping around were disconcerting and she managed to cause it to make some metallic screeching noises beating on it going up some mountain passes. Add in all the hard plastic in the cockpit and the poor build quality and it wasn't a desirable auto at all.
Commuter Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,338
I read a rumour that some genius at Chrysler had the idea of putting fake shift points in Automatic Mode, so it wouldn't feel as 'CVT-y' (it would behave a little more like a regular auto).

Oh, and btw Mercedes is developing a 9-speed auto.
UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #14
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut
I haven't done enough research other than renting and witnessing these on the road but what is the difference between a patriot, compass, liberty or cherokee? They are all the same size vehicle (within ten percent or so) and every one I've driven felt identical.

I must be missing something but it seems an obvious case of selling a number of suvs that cannibalize each others sales?
Cherokee is a true SUV with good off road capability. Liberty is less so, more of a semi-tough crossover. Patriot and Compass are both cars with crossover looks that don't belong off the beaten path.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:12 AM   #15
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
Gosh, anyone got anything bad to say about these things - (except that the Compass has "girly" styling) - anyone even had leaks in the roof? I've been on Jeep forums and saw the usual cheer leading crowd - I was thinking that I would be getting the more realistic slant on things by asking you guys. You usually go for the dark underbelly on most North American made vehicles.
Not me personally, but a good friend of mine is about to have her second Patriot taken back under the lemon law because they cannot make the sunroof stop leaking (again). No problems other than that AFAIK, but they're basically brand new cars, so I wouldnt expect to much to have happened yet. I definately wouldn't buy one with a sunroof.

jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: