ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
Hannda OP
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Not yet far enough away from town
Oddometer: 27,803
I need a new snowblower

I found the old snowblower thread, but the last post is over two years old and, unfortunately, things have changed since then.

I went online to Consumer Reports.org. Their favorite snowblower was an Ariens . . . . that's no longer being made. Seems the new for '09 Ariens are all much cheaper and made for Home Depot (at least from what I can find on the interwebs).

So, I'm looking at the new TroyBuilt, 30" with a 357cc engine. Looks nice.

Any thoughts? Anybody?

The report says that the Craftsman 88830 is supposed to be the same machine - but I've looked at both. The TroyBuilt has little metal tabs for the steering while the Craftsman has little plastic tabs. I'm wondering what other parts may have been made cheaper for the Craftsman. The TroyBuilt is only $79 more than the Craftsman, but they both appear to be built by MTD.

Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze
 
DireWolf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: In the Mustard Booyah. Whooop!!
Oddometer: 12,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
I know nothing about snow blowers. HTH.
__________________
Please help Elias' (Toolfan's) young family - they lost a husband and a father: Donation Page: Toolfan Support Fund
DireWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!
 
adam_c_eckhardt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Live Free or Die
Oddometer: 5,106
I bought a Husqvarna chain saw the other day. When I was at the dealer I glanced at a few snowblowers just for the hell of it. They looked like decently built machines. Might be worth a look?
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
Hannda OP
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Not yet far enough away from town
Oddometer: 27,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt
I bought a Husqvarna chain saw the other day. When I was at the dealer I glanced at a few snowblowers just for the hell of it. They looked like decently built machines. Might be worth a look?
I didn't even know Husky made a snowblower. I'll look into it. Thanks.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
Medicine Creek
127.0.0.1
 
Medicine Creek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: smugville, nebraska
Oddometer: 9,433
don't dick around, old john deeres can be had on ebay for cheap and it'll fuck some snow up.

Medicine Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #6
Hannda OP
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Not yet far enough away from town
Oddometer: 27,803
You're my hero Andy.

I was looking at a John Deere (walk behind) snowblower last night. $1,500 but it looked like it'd throw cement, firewood, anything that you put in front of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine Creek
don't dick around, old john deeres can be had on ebay for cheap and it'll fuck some snow up.

Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
snoid
100% Okie
 
snoid's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: beaver river sandflats, texas county.
Oddometer: 28,530
...

if you'll wait, next month's issue of 'Shed' will hit the stands on monday.

featured inside is a snowblower shoot-out. 240 models from 50 manufacturers were tested.

waterwheel's testing methods aren't the most ethical, but you'll for sure know which make and model will blow a cat inside-out with the 'nook and cranny' nozzle attachment.
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
Tennessee Jed 08
Banned
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: In an Octopus Garden
Oddometer: 231
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/ProductDi...3b#reviewsWrap


Just bought one of these, seems well made, only plastic is the top chute and ran well but we haven't had enough snow yet to fully judge. I'm sure it will be fine.
Tennessee Jed 08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
Hannda OP
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Not yet far enough away from town
Oddometer: 27,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed 08
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/ProductDi...3b#reviewsWrap


Just bought one of these, seems well made, only plastic is the top chute and ran well but we haven't had enough snow yet to fully judge. I'm sure it will be fine.
I was looking at the 88830 earlier today - 357cc engine, 30" cut. Looked very nice (but I couldn't keep my eyes off of that 48" wide machine they had - THAT'd make the job go quickly ).
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
A-Bone
Indubitably
 
A-Bone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Cow Hampsha, (NH, USA)
Oddometer: 12,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoid
if you'll wait, next month's issue of 'Shed' will hit the stands on monday.

featured inside is a snowblower shoot-out. 240 models from 50 manufacturers were tested.

waterwheel's testing methods aren't the most ethical, but you'll for sure know which make and model will blow a cat inside-out with the 'nook and cranny' nozzle attachment.



Hit the stands here today.... loved the fuel stabilizer shootout....
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #11
Caribou Aqua Buddha
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Oddometer: 22,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
I found the old snowblower thread, but the last post is over two years old and, unfortunately, things have changed since then.

I went online to Consumer Reports.org. Their favorite snowblower was an Ariens . . . . that's no longer being made. Seems the new for '09 Ariens are all much cheaper and made for Home Depot (at least from what I can find on the interwebs).

So, I'm looking at the new TroyBuilt, 30" with a 357cc engine. Looks nice.

Any thoughts? Anybody?

The report says that the Craftsman 88830 is supposed to be the same machine - but I've looked at both. The TroyBuilt has little metal tabs for the steering while the Craftsman has little plastic tabs. I'm wondering what other parts may have been made cheaper for the Craftsman. The TroyBuilt is only $79 more than the Craftsman, but they both appear to be built by MTD.

Two years ago they were saying you wouldn't need a snowblower in two years.
Caribou Aqua Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #12
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 1,714
This past weekend I went to use my snowblower and the auger was frozen with ice. My solution was to use a small heater that I have and placed it in front of the auger. After 30 minutes the ice had slowly melted and all was well and good. This has never happened to me before. Normally Boulder, CO only gets a storm once a week or so and it would appear that the snow that remains in the blower has never had a chance to melt enough and then refreeze solid. This year it's been far colder than I remember this early in the year and we've also had more snow.

Anyway, is there some common practice folks use to prevent this sort of thing from happening?
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:01 AM   #13
spanky
Well, maybe...
 
spanky's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Central CO
Oddometer: 1,764
I used to live in the Monument area, northern edge of Woodmoor to be exact, and used a John Deere TR27 I bought new in 1992. It's an 8HP 2 stage w/27" intake, 6 forward speeds and 2 for reverse with a locking axle.

Prior to purchasing this model I felt a 5HP would be all I'd need but the dealer kept pushing me to go bigger, a coworker who lived in the Black Forest at the time opted for the 10HP model and swore it barely met his needs.

It took me all of a month to realize that this configurement was the absolute minimum for that area. It was a little overkill in the early season snows made of champaign powder but once winter got started it was nice to have.

Some neighbors would laugh at me when I used it on the little snowfalls but having a driveway that's over 85' of concrete that's 12' wide at its narrowest and over 25' at its widest plus a 20x15 concrete patio I needed something to save my back. Anyway, the added power comes in handy in the spring snow storms when the snow's moisture is very high. Keep it cranked up and go slow otherwise you'll be spitting out ice logs prior to jamming it. DAMHIK.

Oh, and for what it's worth my John Deere snowblower cost $1215 including tax - $15 more than the car I bought in high school. I bought it in December of '92 and it's still in use by someone else.

Lowe's sell JD, I wouldn't own anything else. There's a local JD dealer who sells all kinds of products but I'm not sure if they still sell the snowblower line. They DO service JD snowblowers though and are good people to deal with; Potestio Brothers Equipment. Call 'em.

As for the neighbors who used to laugh at me well, all I can say is that during the blizzards of October '97 and March of '03 among others I was the most loved guy on the street.
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #14
P B G
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Greater Chicago
Oddometer: 10,001
I have a john Deere 1032. Same thing as an Ariens 1032.

Its old, and solid. It is a beast. Looks like this one.


I like it a lot, particularly after adding an impeller kit (rubber paddles that bolt to the metal vanes on the impeller and tighten the tolerances to increase throw distance.

But, keep in mind these are big machines, they can move a lot of snow, but for some applications they are just too much, too large/heavy, unnecessary if you just do your sidewalks from time to time or a small driveway. For which often one of those 2 cycle single stage snow throwers will do just fine.

Around here that's what most of my neighbors seem to have, I have my beastly deere, but I use it for a bit more than they do.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #15
Hodag
native
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Oddometer: 22,792

K T M

Hodag screwed with this post 12-07-2009 at 10:10 AM
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014