User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
rotten OP
LOST AGAIN

Oddometer: 670
Chain Oilers? Use or Not if so what system

I have noticed that several riders make reference to chain oilers are these suggested or just another gimmick? I have seen the products like scottoiler and Tutoro are there preferences here? Or is this just another way to add oil to the road?
rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
I had a scottoiler on my zx9r. I makes a little mess but the chain went 40,000+ miles. The newer o-ring chains need little maintenance and I don't ride as much as I used to, so I've never put on any of my other bikes.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
I used to have a 1979 Electra Glide. It had an auto oiler of sorts...I had to park it on a cookie baking pan and nobody ever wanted to ride behind me.
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
rotten OP
LOST AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
I used to have a 1979 Electra Glide. It had an auto oiler of sorts...I had to park it on a cookie baking pan and nobody ever wanted to ride behind me.
Thats great add engine oil as chain requires!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
My old triumph actually came from the factory with a chain oiler that would drip engine oil out a tube onto the chain. It kinda worked??? The motor blew before the chain went. Oh for the good old days????
Old 03-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
rotten OP
LOST AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldhippie View Post
My old triumph actually came from the factory with a chain oiler that would drip engine oil out a tube onto the chain. It kinda worked??? The motor blew before the chain went. Oh for the good old days????
LOL was it due to loss of engine oil? Or British design, best parts in the world fall off of Triumphs
Old 03-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 843
Scottoiler deep thoughts.....

I own the Scottoiler Esystem. It is spectacular. All you have to do with this Esystem is wire it to the battery for power and install the reservoir and tubing.

I have it mounted on my V-Strom. The chain stays clean and lubed with no adjustment needed for a lot of miles. It has a little LCD screen that you mount on the dash and you can control the drip rate of the oil and other parameters.

It is a truly easy to install and use system.

I love it.

Good Luck.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldhippie View Post
My old Sportster XLCH had something similar.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
rotten OP
LOST AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
I own the Scottoiler Esystem. It is spectacular. All you have to do with this Esystem is wire it to the battery for power and install the reservoir and tubing.

I have it mounted on my V-Strom. The chain stays clean and lubed with no adjustment needed for a lot of miles. It has a little LCD screen that you mount on the dash and you can control the drip rate of the oil and other parameters.

I love it.

Good Luck.

Great feedback Thanks! Do you use the proprietary oil or something else 10-30 or ATF?
Old 03-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 843
I use...

...the ScottOiler Oil. Blue in winter, red in summer. They have two weights of oil for different temps.

I really love the eSystem.

Here's the link to the Aerostich Catalog page for the Scottoiler eSystem:

http://www.aerostich.com/scottoiler-esystem.html

Cheers.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
Ensey
KLR Combat Touring

Oddometer: 727
WD-40 at the end of each day on a trip............. Otherwise, every couple of gas refills....... 16-20kmiles on a KLR chain
Ensey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
I have the vacuum version of the ScottOiler on a 650 Strom.

It was a bitch to hook up, mostly due to the pain of getting to the nipple on the throttle body. Other than that, it's great. I don't deal with chain maintenance very often. I know when I get home from work, and it's raining and cold, the last thing I want to do is oil a chain.

It costs about as much as a set of sprockets and a chain. So if it increases chain life by a significant amount, it's "free". Obviously, it will depend on how many miles you ride.

I mounted it under the seat, and ran the hose down the chain guard. It's barely visible. The container has never leaked oil into my under seat storage area. It's not as trick as the electronic version, but it puts out a drop of oil every minute or so. Flow is user adjustable.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
M Singer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
I have the vacuum version of the ScottOiler on a 650 Strom.

It was a bitch to hook up, mostly due to the pain of getting to the nipple on the throttle body. Other than that, it's great. I don't deal with chain maintenance very often. I know when I get home from work, and it's raining and cold, the last thing I want to do is oil a chain.

It costs about as much as a set of sprockets and a chain. So if it increases chain life by a significant amount, it's "free". Obviously, it will depend on how many miles you ride.

I mounted it under the seat, and ran the hose down the chain guard. It's barely visible. The container has never leaked oil into my under seat storage area. It's not as trick as the electronic version, but it puts out a drop of oil every minute or so. Flow is user adjustable.
I have the same set up on my V Strom and love it!
M Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #14
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 262
I'm using the vacuum system Very easy to install. I cut a vacuum line, inserted a T connector and the rest was simple.

Mine's mounted in plain view so I can give it a quick flow adjustment based on the ambient temp. For example, if it's a particularly brisk morning, I'll increase flow by 25% otherwise I keep set to 50%. I don't have the patience to time the drops.

I've had it on for about 3-4 months, commuting daily, and I've only adjusted my chain maybe once.

Yes, there is some oil fling but IMO it's minor. My bike is filthy as it is from riding in the rain. It washes or wipes right off. The best part is that if the chain starts to look a little dirty, a quick wipe with a clean paper towel will make it look new again.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post

I love it.

Good Luck.
Thanks for pushing me over the edge. Really. I appreciate it. The simplicity of the Esystem has always outweighed the cost. I've wanted one, but I didn't buy one. I'm one of those riders that just can't be bothered to do the chain maintenance. It's not that big of a deal. I just can't be bothered. "Oh yeah. I forgot. I need to get down there and spend the couple seconds and take care of that. I'll do it next time...." Consequently, it doesn't get done, and my chain/sprockets don't last as long as they should.

Soooooo, I was fully prepared, CC in hand to pay full price. Go to the Scottoiler.com site. Oh, free shipping. Very nice. Poke around a little more. Oh, 10% off when entering V10 in the coupon code at checkout. That seals the deal! Order placed. $251.95 shipped. Couldn't be happier. Can't wait to install and not think about not oiling my chain

Thanks again!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote