User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Tablet advice

Hey, I am looking for an android tablet( for simple drag and drop) with 32 g, OR 16 g,with a SD or micro-sd slot, a USB port, 2 RAM, quad core processor, and a fantastic screen. I have a ipad 3, but I am getting pretty frustrated with having to convert every friggin file to a mp4.

And having to go through iTunes.....oh, my ipad is 64 g.

I have been looking at the galaxy note tablet but then I am easily sucked in by gimmicky( S pen) crap. Although the split screen feature is cool would I use it that much? Like the pen?

Anyway,suggestions?
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Dollar for dollar there's nothing better than the Google Nexus 10.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-tablets...ndroid-tablets I personally love my ASUS Tranformer Infinit TF700. With the attached keyboard it does everything I would want a travel laptop to do... Only drawback for me is I havent figured out how to rip full movies to it yet.. to be fair though I have only spent about 5 minutes trying to figure it out :)
Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
jprovence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I use the Transformer Infinity Prime TF700 with the keyboard dock as well. 1080p screen. I use MX player pro for video playback and it plays every file I've thrown at it. Works well. No need for conversion. I have a 32gb micro SD card put in along with 32gb of mem. Asus is very good on update. I read magazines on it and the battery life is quite good and exceptional with the keyboard dock. Which his a battery built in along with a USB host port, SD card reader and touch pad.
jprovence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,609
We bought my son a Nexus for Christmas. I've since decided I'd like to trade him straight across for my laptop. He won't go for it. It's pretty cool.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Nexus 10 is not available anywhere. I do have an older transformer 101, the original gold one,with the keyboard dock. Anyway, no word on when the nexus 10 would be available here.i have heard good things about the tf700. I am not techy at all btw.

I really just need it for surfing,emailing,tv shows,movies.....basic stuff. I need to fill approx 12 hours of time during my shift,that's why I thought the note might be fun for drawing and sketching,just something different than watching hours of movies and tv shows..

I usually don't have Internet access at work and when I do I have to use my phone as a modem. I have a nexus 7 which is pretty damn cool, but my eyes eventually get tired on the smaller screen. Scroll,scroll,scroll.....
Old 01-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Future shop.......tf 700....$499.00.... Keyboard dock.....149.00 plus 13% tax and environmental fee......gasp!!!!!!...approx.....$735.00.......:ee k1
Old 01-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
Future shop.......tf 700....$499.00.... Keyboard dock.....149.00 plus 13% tax and environmental fee......gasp!!!!!!...approx.....$735.00.......:ee k1
yeah I was going to say if I had it to do all over again I would actually spend the few extra $$ over the TF700 and buy a Microsoft Surface, full windows version, or one of the new Windows 8 convertable laptops. Love my TF700 but it was $$
Old 01-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,028
I have the original Asus transformer with the keyboard. If you can find a used one it's still a good machine.

The keyboard adds usb and full size SD card support too (micro sd and hdmi on the tablet itself) . Battery lasts forever, and makes a great bike / travel laptop replacement.

Don't be too quick to blow off the Galaxy Note stylus. Reviews say it's a incredibly useful addition, and not just a finger replacement.

I also have a Nexus 7 which is a fantastic piece of a kit for a very reasonable price. The only drawback for me is no SD slot.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 860
One of the problems with Android is that there are a number of manufacturers, and they all use different hardware. This means any updates can take a long time to filter down to whatever tablet you may have, mine is still running on Gingerbread because Samsung hasn't brought out an update for it yet, and probably won't. To get around this, get a Nexus. Nexus products are produced by Samsung (10"), Asus (7") and LG (4") and should be updated as soon as a new updated are released. I believe they also don't have a lot of the bloatware that comes with most tablets. This means they can compete with Apple who have total control over the hardware as well as the software, Google has control over the Nexus hardware without building or owning it. This is my understanding of the whole Nexus thing.
Woody2627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody2627 View Post
One of the problems with Android is that there are a number of manufacturers, and they all use different hardware. This means any updates can take a long time to filter down to whatever tablet you may have, mine is still running on Gingerbread because Samsung hasn't brought out an update for it yet, and probably won't. To get around this, get a Nexus. Nexus products are produced by Samsung (10"), Asus (7") and LG (4") and should be updated as soon as a new updated are released. I believe they also don't have a lot of the bloatware that comes with most tablets. This means they can compete with Apple who have total control over the hardware as well as the software, Google has control over the Nexus hardware without building or owning it. This is my understanding of the whole Nexus thing.
That's mainly the case for carrier branded phones. Less so with tablets.

Bloatware is a carrier thing. With most tablets you can uninstall anything you want.

As for upgrades, there comes a time when the hardware is too old to support the latest version of the software. You are just seeing this with the first generation of tablets.

However, there is hope. There are lots of people developing custom firmware that will run on older equipment and is easy to install if you can follow directions. It brings many of the new features and is free. The first Android tablet I bought got new firmware as soon as I got home with it, and it ran far better that the crap Viewsonic had shipped it with. I gave it away to a friend and he's really happy with it still.

This is just one of the reasons I prefer Android to Apple. The equipment is yours and you can do what the hell you like to it.

Apart from the aging consideration, the variety of hardware doesn't have much of an impact. The delay is almost always due to the carrier modifying the manufacturers update (to add bloatware etc)
Old 01-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #12
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
Dollar for dollar there's nothing better than the Google Nexus 10.
I personally think the Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB is EASILY worth the extra $40 over a 32GB Nexus 10. The S-Pen totally rocks - for the things it's good for. I haven't taken a note on paper since I got my Note, last August. I take handwritten notes in all my meetings and then export them straight to Evernote and file them by project.

Plus, with the 64GB microSD I added, I have 96GB of storage on board. Very handy for keeping ALL my MP3s on it, plus a good selection of ripped movies for watching when I'm on a plane or somewhere with no WiFi and no cell coverage.

Plus, the Nexus 10 does not have the multi-window functionality which is also pretty cool. Having a browser window open and then having a note-taking window open next to it, so I can write down notes about stuff I'm looking at in the browser is also very handy.

Bottom line: I can do NUMEROUS things with the Galaxy Note 10.1 that you can't do with a Nexus 10. What can the Nexus 10 do that the Note 10.1 can't?

ps. The Note 10.1 has an official release of Jelly Bean (Android 4.1.3) out. I've been running it for several weeks. Seems like OS updates are pretty timely, to me...
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #13
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,265
Nexus 10 32GB - $499 https://play.google.com/store/device...=nexus_10_32gb

Galaxy Note 10 32GB - $539 - http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...laxy+note+10.1

My opinion: Dollar for dollar, there is no better tablet than the Note 10.1.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

The note is on sale here for 450.00 until tomorrow night. 32 g.....
Old 01-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #15
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
I have the galaxy note with the Samsung flip case. LOVE it, the phone is so thin that you do not even notice it in your pocket.

for a tablet I would get a 7" they are much more practical and portable. you can not beat the nexus 7 for price and performance.

I have a 10" tablet and a 7"and the 7" is much better.

The note is the best phone ever and the s-pen is not a gimmick, it is very useful.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote