Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #31
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
But can a tablet take the vibrations from being mounted on a bike? It just doesn't seem like it would be able to withstand the rigours of being mounted on handlebars like that. I do have a nexus 7 and it is pretty good. Future shop here had the galaxy tab 2 10.1 on for 300 so I picked one up.

I kept it for a couple of days then returned it. Compared to the nexus,it's slow and pokey with mediocre at best graphics.

Picked up the Note yesterday,and,I don't know if I am up for this. The learning curve seems huge.there is SOOOOOO many features and I am just completely lost. As much as I love my ipad HATE iTunes,HATE having to use iTunes for everything,the ipad is pretty straightforward.the ikea monkey could use it.

I know it's kinda like apples....groan.....and oranges but day-um, that Note is overwhelming. I have 15 days before my return period is up, and I don't know if I will even scratch the surface or if my frustration level will win the day.

If anyone can help with a couple of immediate issue with the Note. I can't seem to get it to pair with my iPhone for tethering purposes. Every other device I have had paired very easily and simply with my iPhone including the nexus and my galaxy tab 2 7.0

But with the setting enabled for pairing,the devices are not seeing each other. I am stumped.

Also, I have the Samsung USB connector and the Note doesn't seem to recognize it and thumb drives plugged in. My 7.0 tab will recognize smaller thumb drives,like an 8 g,but nothing to big it seems. But at least the little tab will recognize the USB connector,while the note doesn't.

If anyone has any bright ideas,let me know. The closest store that may know a little advice is over 30 k away.

I know it's hard to diagnose stuff like this without having it in front of you. I googled pairing and a couple of you tube videos came up that i watched and there seemed to be downloading of a PDA assistant app, and then DL ing Cydia? On the iPhone and I never had to do any of that to pair anything.

Arghhhh.......
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #32
twowheelpilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
i often have my phone mounted and haven't had any issues. no experience with a tablet yet. i dont really carry my tablet with me often enough to want to mount it to my motorcycle.
twowheelpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #33
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
But can a tablet take the vibrations from being mounted on a bike? It just doesn't seem like it would be able to withstand the rigours of being mounted on handlebars like that. I do have a nexus 7 and it is pretty good. Future shop here had the galaxy tab 2 10.1 on for 300 so I picked one up.

I kept it for a couple of days then returned it. Compared to the nexus,it's slow and pokey with mediocre at best graphics.

Picked up the Note yesterday,and,I don't know if I am up for this. The learning curve seems huge.there is SOOOOOO many features and I am just completely lost. As much as I love my ipad HATE iTunes,HATE having to use iTunes for everything,the ipad is pretty straightforward.the ikea monkey could use it.

I know it's kinda like apples....groan.....and oranges but day-um, that Note is overwhelming. I have 15 days before my return period is up, and I don't know if I will even scratch the surface or if my frustration level will win the day.

If anyone can help with a couple of immediate issue with the Note. I can't seem to get it to pair with my iPhone for tethering purposes. Every other device I have had paired very easily and simply with my iPhone including the nexus and my galaxy tab 2 7.0

But with the setting enabled for pairing,the devices are not seeing each other. I am stumped.

Also, I have the Samsung USB connector and the Note doesn't seem to recognize it and thumb drives plugged in. My 7.0 tab will recognize smaller thumb drives,like an 8 g,but nothing to big it seems. But at least the little tab will recognize the USB connector,while the note doesn't.

If anyone has any bright ideas,let me know. The closest store that may know a little advice is over 30 k away.

I know it's hard to diagnose stuff like this without having it in front of you. I googled pairing and a couple of you tube videos came up that i watched and there seemed to be downloading of a PDA assistant app, and then DL ing Cydia? On the iPhone and I never had to do any of that to pair anything.

Arghhhh.......
Are you trying to pair via bluetooth or do you have your iphone setup as a wifi hot spot?

Is the USB cable an "on the go" type of cable?
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #34
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,042
Hey shnizzle,

You need to explain what you mean by trying to pair your Note to your phone. You also mentioned tethering. Generally speaking, those are 2 different things.

Pairing implies you are trying to establish a Bluetooth connection between your phone and tablet. I haven't done that, myself, and see no reason to.

Tethering means that you are enabling your phone as a WiFi Hotspot. That's what I do with my phone. Once my phone's hotspot is on, the Note sees it as a Wireless Access Point, just like any other wireless access point in your home or a business.

You mentioned Cydia. If you jailbreak an iPhone, then you gain access to Cydia which is the same kind of thing as the iTunes App Store - Cydia is just not the "app store" offered by Apple. Once you've jailbroken, then you can get into Cydia, and THEN you can install a mobile hotspot app on your iPhone. That said, if you're paying your carrier to have a mobile hotspot on your iPhone, then you don't need to do all that. Jailbreaking and installing a hotspot app via Cydia is just a way to have your phone work as a hotspot without paying your wireless phone company extra money.

I don't have an iPhone, so that is about the extent of my knowledge on that particular subject.

I do have a Note, so I'm happy to try and answer questions about that. As for yours, I'd say the first thing you should do is make sure your Note has the latest version of Android.

Go into Settings, About device. The Android version should say "4.1.2". If it does not, then make sure you have a solid Internet connection (to the tablet), and tap Software update (in the Settings/About device menu). That *should* get you started on getting the Note upgraded to the latest OS. Which may, in turn, fix the other issues you're having.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #35
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
screen capture....( how do I do that....?)
It's the 4th "button" from the left on the system bar at the bottom. I.e. from the left, the buttons are:

Back
Home
Task Manager
Screen Capture

Just tap it.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #36
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Lol...I am embarrassed to admit I just discovered google maps for trip planning!,!!!!!
Google Maps on a PC is very handy for trip planning. But, for me anyway, the best way to do trip planning is to use Google Maps AND use Garmin MapSource (or Basecamp) at the same time.

I use Google Maps to help identify roads, check out satellite images and terrain and sometimes even zoom into a Street View and do a virtual ride along the road. That was very handy for picking out some roads to ride in Spain last Spring.

But then I lay out the route in MapSource and download it to my GPS. For me, anyway, the Garmin tools for picking start and end points and designating the Via points along the way are easier to use.

Of course, if you're not using a Garmin GPS for navigation, then you can forget all that....
Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #37
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
Pairing implies you are trying to establish a Bluetooth connection between your phone and tablet. I haven't done that, myself, and see no reason to.

Tethering means that you are enabling your phone as a WiFi Hotspot. That's what I do with my phone. Once my phone's hotspot is on, the Note sees it as a Wireless Access Point, just like any other wireless access point in your home or a business.
There are apps that let you tether over Bluetooth instead of WiFi. maybe that is what he is meaning.

I can't Bluetooth tether my Asus tablet to my S3 phone because Asus left some drivers out of the OS. I just use WiFi.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #38
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Well, I figured out how to tether the NOTE and my iPhone. But......speaking of tether,I am at my end with the Note. I realize what a great device it is with a lot of functionality but I have spent hours with it already and I feel like I am not any closer to figuring the damn thing out.

There seems to be a lot of clicking and tapping and back and forthing and I am " penning" when I don't want and opening/ closing s note,it's just been a long,long lesson in frustration for me. I guess the ipad was made for people like me in mind, " keep it simple stupid"

As much as I HATE iTunes, I guess I am stuck with it for now.

I have the Note for 15 days, less, 3 or 4 now, and I know if I kept playing with it, using it would become easier and faster, like anything new we try and finally master,but it is going to take waaaaay longer than that time frame to even scratch the surface.

I guess I will just go back to my newly discovered google maps...lol....and writing the info I want concerning camping,state parks,attractions and grocery stores in a little notebook and take that with me.

Oh, I think someone asked why I would tether the two together.....? To share data, I am NOT paying for two data plans, so the iPhone becomes my mini-modem.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #39
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Hey shnizz,

The forum for the Note 10.1 on AndroidCentral.com (http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...axy-note-10-1/) is really good for learning how to use it and getting help from other users.

I hope you'll give it a bit more time before you give up on it. I would suggest to put the S-pen away and leave it put away until you're actually in an app where you specifically want to use the S-pen. And maybe even don't even worry about that just yet. Remember, most Android devices don't have a stylus, so 99% of what you're looking at is intended to work with just your finger.

I bet, with a few more days, you'll get the hang of it and things will start to make sense. It is true that the Note can do a lot more than the iPad, so it takes more time to learn it all.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #40
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Well, the other thing that is almost making me hesitate about throwing in the towel is that I got a killer price on the tablet, 488 bucks, including 13% tax for the 32 g device.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #41
osii
Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer: 2,427
Nexus 7 & TF700

I recently went on an electronics buying spree. First I bought Nexus 7 16gb from Google for $250. I also bought a HP G6 windows 7 and a G7 windows 8.

No complaints on the nexus 7 . I could tether it to my Virgin Triumph and most small data apps would work. Then I dropped it and cracked the screen and went back to the google store and saw thy had a 32gb/4g model for $299. I jumped on it. If you really want a go anywhere device that is small enough to fit in a pocket, there is nothing else out there IMHO. I can even video conference while driving. Amazing. The future is here for $300 & $30 a month. As long as you are not watching movies all day, you'll barely break a gig. Also someone earlier mentioned something about storage on the Nexus 7. You can get a OTG doggle that converts the micro usb to a full sized usb and connect a card reader, keyboard and mouse to it using a usb hub, So storage is essentially unlimited.

After almost three months with the G7/Win8 box, I realized what a POS Win8 turned out to be. After begging MS and HP for a downgrade to Win7 to no avail, I called BestBuy, reminded them how much I spent there in the last 6 months, and the MGR. agreed to an in store credit. So my buddy is hot for the Asus and I went with his advice and bought the TF700 and the keyboard for $600. They didn't have any of the older Asus models in stock (the TF200 can upgrade to Jelly Bean, and they had the TF 300's on imaginary blowout sale for $280, but none in stock. They had the Note 10.1, and it looked like a nice unit. But I worried about losing the stylus or scratching the screen. I did like the bigger speakers. Also I considered the costs of the periferals like a keyboard and a case and thought I would be somewhere around $700+ land.

I never wanted to spend $600 on a tablet but here I was with a $450 store credit I had to use now. And after my Win8 experience, Windows is dead to me. Only a masochist could love that OS.

So here's some points on the TF700 which probably applies to most of the TF series.

First, you really need to buy the keyboard. extra battery, full size sd card slot and full size usb port. The tablet itself only has a micro sd card slot. There is no micro usb port on the tablet itself. It does have a proprietary cable you can use to connect to another computer and charge, but no way to plug in external storage like a card reader or external hard drive. Also, the keyboard protects the screen so you really do not need an everyday use case. With the usb port you essentially have unlimited data storage. It essentially turns your tablet into a micro notebook.

Never go anywhere without the OEM plug in charger. Most generic USB chargers and computers will not have enough oumph to power it up.

I think the TF is a little smaller than the Note too.

since they will upgrade to Jellybean, if you can find a TF200 or TF 300 for about $300 and then get the keyboard for $100, you can't really go wrong

I think you can't go wrong with either the TF line or the new 10.1 Samsung.

Here end'th the lesson.
osii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #42
StuartV
Motorcyclist

With my Note 10.1, I have 32GB built in and a 64GB microSD. And it's already running JellyBean. I also have a Samsung adapter that allows me to plug in external USB storage - in case 96GB is ever not enough. Though, really, all the use cases I can see for that would be me connecting the Note to my laptop and transferring files back and forth from the laptop. So, though I have the dongle for USB transfers, I've never actually used it. I'm pretty darn unlikely to carry around my tablet, the USB dongle, and an external USB drive, just to have auxiliary storage for my tablet....

The Samsung Notebook cover is an excellent case/cover for the Note. The cover flap is ridiculously thin - yet sturdy. And the back part is sturdy plastic. The point is, with the cover on (and a Ghost Armor screen protector applied), I have no worries about the screen getting scratched. And it is WAY thinner and lighter than a Transformer with the keyboard attached to protect the screen.

Oh, and the slot that holds the stylus inside the Note is NOT going to give up the stylus by accident. So, I think the only way you'd ever lose the stylus is if you take it out on purpose and then don't put it back. At which point, you still have a tablet that is just as capable as a Transformer....
Old 02-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #43
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Hell, my name is John and I'm a gadget-oholic.

I currently own an "original" Galaxy Tab 7" from 2010, a Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE, a Nexus 7 3G 32GB, a Nexus 10 32GB, a Galaxy Note, a Note 10.1, an HTC One X, and an iPad Mini 3G.

The Mini sits in a drawer, just don't like using it, though it's very attractive to look at. Too hard to hold (wide with narrow bezel) as a 7" device, and the resolution is sub-par compared to my latests Android tablets and it's the only iOS device I've owned (so no investment in iTunes/Apps). Gonna box it back up and give it to my niece for her birthday next month. She's 17 and already owns an iPhone so it'll be ideal for her.

The OG Tab 7 was my go-to device for the last few years, traveled all over the world with me, the form-factor was ideal. Getting long in the tooth in terms of performance and resolution so the Nexus 7 replaced it.

The N7 has much better performance than the Tab 7", higher resolution, it's lighter, and runs the latest Android version. It goes just about everywhere with me, and is my excuse for spending far too long in the WC. That said, I miss the ability to pop in a microSD card like I had with the Tab 7", and there's some build-quality issues (screen lifting, creaking) and a dimmer/washed out looking display compared to the vibrant and built-like-a- brick Tab. I'm on my third warranty replacement Nexus 7 (no issues getting it replaced other than lost time, but still...) Then again, the Tab cost me $700, the Nexus 7 $300.

The Tab 8.9 LTE was a gift, but I really enjoyed it. The smaller form factor made it a pleasure to use at home and on the road, for a 2011 Android tablet the performance was well above average, the display was large enough to really enjoy watching movies on (and crisp!), the LTE/HSPA capability made it nice when travelling, even when touring on the bike in North America. You can find the AT&T version used all day long on Craigslist in the $200 range, which is a lot of tablet for the money. The size and weight difference between this and a 10" tablet doesn't seem like much on paper, but trust me, it's far more comfortable for extended one-handed operation, packs smaller, has excellent battery life. It can also be cheaply "unlocked" so you can use it on any of the European carriers (in HSPA mode), any of the Canadian carriers in LTE/HSPA mode, and even T-Mobile if you don't mind EDGE speeds.

Bought a Note 10.1 and I enjoyed using the device, a nice performance upgrade from the 8.9 (though I missed the 3G/LTE), and the S-Pen and TouchWiz has some neat features. But it's still only 1280x800 resolution, and the build quality seems to be worse (creaky), it's just plain garish looking, and suffers the usual Samsung problem of slow updates to newer Android versions. Sold it to a co-worker a week after my Nexus 10 arrived. Said co-worker is a graphic artist so he'll get more use out of the stylus, and so far he's been happy with it (he no longer uses his iPad 2 at all). With the device being on sale for prices as low or lower than the N10, it's also a great value.

The Nexus 10 is a great "stay at home" tablet. I watch movies and surf on it a good bit, do some light gaming, but it seldom leaves the house. The resolution on the thing is amazing, you have to see the display to believe it, the performance is stellar, and I like the choice of materials far better than the Note 10.1 (more understated, more pleasant to hold). That said, when Samsung (who makes the Nexus 10) comes out with a Note 2 10.1 with the same wonderful display and hot-rod A15 processor, I'll probably pick that up and offload the Nexus 10 (provided they don't go all tacky with materials again). I'm also really looking forward to an 8" version with the same quality display from Samsung (may be announced in the next week or so), as that will be the perfect all in one device for me.

The Galaxy Note was a fun device, and tried to bridge the gap between a phone and a tablet (though I got very little use out of the stylus), and for sure a conversation starter when you whipped that behemoth out. Try one (or the superior Note 2), you may like it. I did, though I replaced it six months later with a 4.7" quad-core HTC One X thanks to the superior display, far better performance and better (for me) form-factor and "hand-feel".

Something else that turns out to be important to me is that all my "current" devices (N7, N10, One X) all use standard microUSB chargers, whereas all my Samsung tablets used a proprietary 30 pin connector. Not a huge deal for me since I had accumulated several Samsung cables over the years, but there's much to be said for just taking one cable with you to serve all your devices, and the knowledge that wherever you go, you can find a cheap microUSB cable.

Croak screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 02:56 PM
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #44
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
The N7 has much better performance than the Tab 7", higher resolution, it's lighter, and runs the latest Android version. It goes just about everywhere with me, and is my excuse for spending far too long in the WC. That said, I miss the ability to pop in a microSD card like I had with the Tab 7", and there's some build-quality issues (screen lifting, creaking) and a dimmer/washed out looking display compared to the vibrant and built-like-a- brick Tab. I'm on my third warranty replacement Nexus 7 (no issues getting it replaced other than lost time, but still...) Then again, the Tab cost me $700, the Nexus 7 $300..
What issues have you had with with your Nexus 7? I have the screen lift/creaking issue, but it really doesn't bother me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #45
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
What issues have you had with with your Nexus 7? I have the screen lift/creaking issue, but it really doesn't bother me.
Screen lifting several millimetres was a big deal for me, actually cut myself on it once, no kidding. In addition to the screen lift, the USB port stopped working on my first 16GB unit. Serious point-source backlight issues on my second 32GB (and screen lift). This 3G unit seemed fine for a couple weeks, and now the screen is starting to lift just like the other units and it's getting creaky. It's built to a price-point and it shows.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote