Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #46
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Dropbox is a must-have app for me. It's the easiest way to move files between devices. I don't think I've plugged my S3 into my PC since I rooted it.

I have a 1tb account and it's great to able to access any file as long as I have an internet connection.

It's especially good for Apple owners who want to get around iTunes.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #47
osii
Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer: 2,422
I forgot to mention that I would have bought a Nexus 10 without hesitation if I could have gotten a cash refund from BB or if I could have bought one from BB. I've had such a positive experience with my Nexus 7.

Like I said, if I had been a little more familiar with the samsung, I might have bought it. But I'm very happy with my TF700 combo for now. I really like the docking keyboard and all it offers ("cover," keyboard, extra battery, usb, SD) when you think about what a decent case for one of these costs, it's really like buying a spare battery and getting everything else for free..
osii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #48
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
Nexus 10 is not available anywhere.
According to Google ships within a week. I have a Nexus 7 and love it, the 10 would be great as well. Have a transformer 101 and friend has a 300. Happy with anything ASUS (Nexus 7 is an ASUS, the 10 is a Samsung both are great).

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #49
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Oddly, I don't find the display on the Note as awful as all the tech websites say certainly not on par with apple. I do agree that the build quality is questionable,the back of the tablet has a LOT of flex and it creaks when you hold it.I did buy the Sammy OEM notebook case, which was REALLY expensive,and I bought it on sale,still was almost 60 bucks.

Which kinda solves the poor build quality issue, but why should I have to pay for that? I sold my TF 101 to help fund the new tablet. I did like it. And I do still like my old Sammy 7.0 plus tab which I paid way more for and has now hit the bargain bin.

I am thinking it may be a good idea to return the Note and wait for the 8 inch Note which should be announced or is it released? next week. Hopefully some of the issues will have been addressed.

I still find when I am noodling around on the Note, I do something neat but have no idea how I got there and can't replicate it. I went on the link you suggested but couldn't find the tutorials.

When I go back on my iPad, it seems so...... pedestrian.....boring with the push me a million times button. BUT......it has such a simple system that is clean looking and a fantastic build quality.

Will we forever be looking for the do-all tablet/ motorcycle???
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #50
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 845
I got my Samsung Notebook Cover from here, for $32:

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/...er_id=!ORDERID!

And I agree that the screen is perfectly fine. I watch movies on it frequently. Can I tell a difference between it and an iPad 3? Yes, when they're side by side. Is the difference that great? No. I really have to look for the differences. The better iPad screen definitely does not make up for all the other things the Note does that the iPad can't - at least, not for me.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #51
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
I am thinking it may be a good idea to return the Note and wait for the 8 inch Note which should be announced or is it released? next week. Hopefully some of the issues will have been addressed.
What issues?

If you're just talking about creaking, I wouldn't count on it. That said, I have read a number of posts from people talking about the Note creaking. I don't know what y'all are doing, but mine doesn't creak. I just picked it up and tried to flex it to make it creak and it didn't. I didn't CRANK on it, of course, but I definitely put more flexion on it than I ever do in normal use.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #52
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Well, Stuart, I just couldn't return the Note,so it's mine now and I am really enjoying it. I am constructing my whole trip on it, using the Snote,multi-screen option and cutting and pasting all my info,from walmarts to " things to do"
Will also dig up all the ferry info I need and make a seperate folder for that.

I bough a " drawing for beginners" book and have been using that for sketching, although photoshop completely baffles me, I am just using s note for drawing.It took me like half an hour to draw a simple piranha, had like 4 steps to do, and I struggled through it, hilarious. I'm soooooo lame!

I have been watching you tube videos for tip and tricks but sometimes they go pretty fast and I can't keep up. I did go on that site you mentioned earlier but couldn't find any tutorials,really.

Anyway, eventually I will figure everything out,one day, by that time it wil be obsolete,we will be on the Note 5 or something. So, summing up, loving the Note, and having a great time making my own personalized itinerary .
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #53
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Try youtube. There are tutorials for everything there.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #54
bob393
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
I've been using a Kindle Fire tethered to my Atrix 2 phone. Not exactly a seamless setup but it has been working for me.
The bigger the screen for maps the happier I am and I love only one data connection charge.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #55
DrPhill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Wicked

i'll jump in here as i've been using my Acer 10" tablet on the bike (and off for work) as a GPS, trip computer and a few other things.

specs:
16gb internal
32gb micro sd card (external)
full sized USB ort
micro usb slot
hdmi port

on the bike, i run the CoPilot app for directions, music (via the stereo) & a trip computer app. longest day was 17 hrs just shy of 800 miles. Got a waterproof bag for wet weather and windscreen mounted holder...currently making a holder for the bars. At a stop i can use PocketCloud to remote into my laptop at home to access MS Stumble & Trip as needed via wifi or the portable hotspot i have.

Glare is an issue, but with a shade & glare screen its manageable.

in the office, i have a bluetooth keyboard & stylus for menu selections. I convinced the IT dept at my last project to let me use the tablet to replace my computer with great success (much to their chagrin) and befuddlement of the techno-geek coders...i wrote a whole user guide (word) on my tablet, kept the MoSCoW list (in excel) upto date and the Sharepoint site up to date. It was SO NICE to not lug around my laptop!

the tablet has replaced my need to lug around a laptop on the road.
DrPhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #56
ShopBLT.com

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I got my Samsung Notebook Cover from here, for $32:

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/...er_id=!ORDERID!
Unfortunately, this link was not working. We've fixed the problem and it now works correctly. Thanks for the recommendation!

ShopBLT.com
ShopBLT.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #57
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Dropbox is a must-have app for me. It's the easiest way to move files between devices. I don't think I've plugged my S3 into my PC since I rooted it.

I have a 1tb account and it's great to able to access any file as long as I have an internet connection.

It's especially good for Apple owners who want to get around iTunes.

FWIW Airdroid or something similar is very handy when you just need to move a few files, photos, etc. to or from an Android phone or tablet, does it over wifi
I wish it were that easy on an ipad, I use Google Drive like you use Dropbox in that case
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #58
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,170
http://www.woot.com/?variation=2&utm...s.woot.com%2F#

samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 for $249 on WOOT today.