Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #31
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 791
Ran the TKC's....3k miles the rear was done 50/50. Switched to Mitas E07 & almost have almost 9k miles on rear.
TKC front was ok as 50/50, was about 1/2 done when the rear was swapped.
The only problem with Mitas is the nearest distributer is MX1Canada & you have to pay for shipping.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #32
Tonk OP
Frozen Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Thanks to everyone who gave experiences and opinions. All great info and I learned a lot about all the options. Looks like I'm going to go with the IRC TR8 front and the K60 rear. The IRC seems to rival the TKC and might be a little more aggressive. I like it! The K60 will give me the wear that I need and work well for the offload I do. I'm a little concerned with trail side repairs with the K60 but it looks like a little blood and sweat will get the job done if need be.

Thanks again and ride safe!!!
Tonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #33
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk View Post
Looks like I'm going to go with the IRC TR8 front and the K60 rear.
Nice combo. That's what I almost went with for the Trans-Lab last year. Enjoy!

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #34
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,135
Consider also the Pirelli Scorpion Rally as a lower-cost alternative to the TKC. Tire life and performance are on par with the TKC (I think even a little bit better in loose conditions), but the price point helps to compensate for the longevity.

James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #35
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 234
The K60's have really stiff side walls meaning they can be run at really low pressures with rim locks. At 8 psi I'm getting fantastic traction in dry conditions off road. Full knobbly vs K60 front on dry rock or sand makes no difference once you've let enough air out
Old 02-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #36
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,733
I've pre-ordered a set of Karoo 3's and they'll be here in a week or two. I'll throw my review of them into the mix to further confuse things
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #37
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
I ordered a set of K60's last week, they should be here next week!! I will try and talk a friend of mine into mounting them at his bike shop for beers.... ;0)
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:03 AM   #38
Noprogram
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 78
I've been running the K60's on my XRV and happy with their versatility on and off road. I looked at the TKC 80's but got the Scouts because of the potential longevity on the road sections even though the TKC's look 'cooler'. Spent a lot of time traveling resonably fast on gravel with these and happy with the feel of the bike when run at a lower pressure. I even considered that the pattern on the front might help it track better through the gravel somehow but it was just a theory. -Feels good anyway and happy with the durability so far. I get a bit of a buzzing sound from the front at lower speeds but don't notice it otherwise.

Did a mostly road lap around the South Island of New Zealand in September last year a lot of it in the wet and winding, felt comfortable as well in these conditions. Wasn't pushing it to the max but never felt like they were getting squirrelly. The side wall is beefy on these but ok to mount....haven't had to get the rear off yet but I got some of the new Motion Pro bead breaker levers which have worked well on my other bikes along with another spoon or T6 Combo.

"If you're going to be stupid you better be tough"

Noprogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #39
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalcop View Post
I run them now on my Super T

real offroad will have to wait until uncles around the bend trip in March

last longer that the BB or the 80's
That's the TWT trip? I'm trying to get to that myself. K60's should love it.
You must have a different nick over there?
Old 03-18-2013, 03:00 AM   #40
pju
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Guys just discovered this excellent thread.
I'm about to replace the OEM Scorps for something better off road on my 800XC.
My ride buddy has K60's on his 800GS and likes them but commented if he had his time again he would go more aggressive on the front for off road. I rode his bike and found the K60's good enough for what speeds I do on the road. So tick that box.

My question is will the TKC or even IRC TR8 be much worse than the K60 on road due to their more aggressive design?
I hear they are better off road.

Oh the pain wanting it all

Thanks
pju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:09 AM   #41
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by pju View Post
Guys just discovered this excellent thread.
I'm about to replace the OEM Scorps for something better off road on my 800XC.
My ride buddy has K60's on his 800GS and likes them but commented if he had his time again he would go more aggressive on the front for off road. I rode his bike and found the K60's good enough for what speeds I do on the road. So tick that box.

My question is will the TKC or even IRC TR8 be much worse than the K60 on road due to their more aggressive design?
I hear they are better off road.

Oh the pain wanting it all

Thanks
TKC's are "O.K." on road. Wet is a bit scary, but they actually behave O.K., well, I've been nervous, but never had them let go.
On dry surfaces with a DL 650 you get SOME warning before they let go - you can feel them start to walk sideways when you push too hard.

They are GOOD offroad , even just on the front it's magic - wear on seal is the problem.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #42
pju
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
TKC's are "O.K." on road. Wet is a bit scary, but they actually behave O.K., well, I've been nervous, but never had them let go.
On dry surfaces with a DL 650 you get SOME warning before they let go - you can feel them start to walk sideways when you push too hard.

They are GOOD offroad , even just on the front it's magic - wear on seal is the problem.

Pete
Thanks for the feedback Pete.
pju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #43
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post

Pete
I have run all three of the mentioned tires. And by far, the scariest to run in the wet are the heidenau k60's. there is a downside to that hard rubber compound.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640

ride2little screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 03:49 PM
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #44
Tonk OP
Frozen Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Update.... Just ordered an IRC TR8 front tire for the Tiger. Checked on a K60 last week and almost ordered one but then I came across what might be "THE" tire.

What do you guys think of the Mitas e09 knobby. I've read all the reviews and it seems like a good long lasting tread. Just about to pull the trigger on the e09 Rear and I came across the Mitas e07. A nice 50/50 tire that looks perfect for what I need. Im ready to get the e07 but I can only find them from a Canadian distributor and shipping is $50 to the US. The shipping brings them back inline with the TKC and the K60 price wise. Any info on the Mitas tires would be appreciated. I'm planning on ordering this weekend.

Thanks
Tonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #45
ukturfrocks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Im running k60s on my strom and Im impressed with the amount of grip on pavement they have. I haven't been offroad yet but for street riding they are excellent plus if you =can get 10 k out of the rear that's a great thing.
ukturfrocks is offline   Reply With Quote