User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
TeneRay OP
2>4

Oddometer: 1,684
Add another to deer statistic

I was leaving a campground early last Thursday morning when a deer leaped out from behind an oncoming vehicle.

By the time I saw the head poking out above the tailgate, it was too late. I managed to grab a little brake but I hit that thing center mass.

The deer took the bike to the side of the road into a small ditch; I flew straight and slid on the road (ATGATT). I hopped up on my feet, collected my thoughts, and looked back behind me to see the bike in bits.

The deer was running on it's side and managed to get back on its feet and jolt into the wood line.

The oncoming vehicle did stop but only to say, "Man, that sucks. I though I was going to hit it." Then he hopped back in his truck and drove away. Thanks.

I managed to get the bike upright and started. The bike landed and slid on the radiator side but miraculously managed to stay intact without any catastrophic damage. The radiator is twisted and bent to hell but after some duct tape work, I could get some moderate air induction.

I was on my way to the Indy MotoGP. I did make it to the event and still managed to ride back home.

TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
RockinTheRVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Holy crud! Glad you were able to walk away, and especially glad you made it to the MotoGP race! I was there as well. I didn't ride, drove the car with my friends, but we saw plenty of deer on the back roads of Indiana!
RockinTheRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,324
One tough Hombre..

Glad you were able to soldier on
Bgunn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
BCKRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
TeneRay, I'm sure you appreciate just how unlucky (and lucky) you were in this encounter with a deer. Deer crashes are, for careful riders, perhaps the greatest concern. ATGATT was your decision, not luck. We know it doesn't always mean no injuries in a crash, but it seems if you had any they were minimal. Any idea what speed you were going when you collided with the animal?

Pretty rare after a deer collision that both the bike and the rider can continue their journey. (Good you had those bungee cords to take the parts home.)

Sorry for your crash; so glad it wasn't worse. I think the only two things the rest of us can take away are: 1. carry a number of bungee cords, and 2. lobby for market hunting of deer. Make it a staple on American and Canadian supermarkets - at a premium price. It really is gourmet food.
BCKRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
greatmaul
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Glad to hear you are ok. I live in deer country and of course it's my biggest fear. Two thumbs up on the gear. Could you let me know what sort of gear you wear? I'm pretty good with most of my gear but usually lacking a bit in the pants department with just some off road knee/shin guards and regular slacks.
Frank
greatmaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
BCKRider
Adventurer

A young buck committed suicide by running into a van about 100 yards from my place this morning. Neighbor asked me to bring a gun to put it out of its misery, but it was dead when I arrived .22 in hand. He gutted the animal in his field and the carcass is going to an Indian friend who will skin and butcher it then distribute the meat.

Told the story to a carpenter working at our place. He and his wife have hit SIX deer! Weirdest one was a buck that ran down the road toward him and hit his truck head-on. His dad was driving a train in northern BC when it hit a moose - resulting in the locomotive being de-railed.

I wager few motorcyclists have hit a moose and lived to tell the tale.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
blue.draggon
n00b

Oddometer: 1
HOLY CRAP!!!
Crashed, slid down the road, got up, dusted off, picked up the bike, picked up the rest of the bike.....rode on to where you were going! That IS amazing!
What kind of gear were you wearing? Did you have much or any pain later?
Can't believe the A$$H@L# didn't ask about you or if you were able to ride or needed a lift or anything, or call somebody for you...something
Glad you're ok and STILL very impressed about the story. I am sorry that it happened though

greg
blue.draggon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
TeneRay OP
2>4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCKRider View Post
Any idea what speed you were going when you collided with the animal?
I was going a solid 35mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue.draggon View Post
What kind of gear were you wearing? Did you have much or any pain later?
I had an Alpinestar one-piece textile suit that was armored, regular leather gloves, A* boots, and my Fly Trekker helmet.

Suit is ripped open and ripped along the left elbow.

All I had was a rub burn on my left elbow when I struck the ground. I felt a little sore the next day but nothing alarming.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
BCKRider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeneRay View Post
I was going a solid 35mph.

I had an Alpinestar one-piece textile suit that was armored, regular leather gloves, A* boots, and my Fly Trekker helmet.

Suit is ripped open and ripped along the left elbow.

All I had was a rub burn on my left elbow when I struck the ground. I felt a little sore the next day but nothing alarming.
Have yet to hit a deer myself, but have heard several personal recounts and read many more. Yours is definitely the happiest aftermath ever.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #10
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCKRider View Post
... He and his wife have hit SIX deer!...
I'm up to 7 now... three while riding a bike and four while driving. It's rut season now folks.... I'd try and stay off the road between 4pm and 10am, at least until the foliage is down and you can see the dumb shits coming at you.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #11
Desce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
+1 on one tough hombre! holy schnikels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
Glad you were able to soldier on
Desce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
TeneRay OP
2>4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desce View Post
+1 on one tough hombre! holy schnikels
I've been down 3 times in my time. Each time I was wearing my gear and each time I was able to walk away. #2 was the worst when I highsided and literally landed flat on my back travelling about 40mph through an intersection. A car pulled out in front of me and I managed to swerve but the bike whipped violently causing me to highside and buck off.

My head smacked the pavement, hard. If I wasn't wearing a helmet, my head would have split like a cantaloupe.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,273
Glad you made it through.
A lot of damage for 35 mph!
Deer are hard or bikes are wimpy...
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote