Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
brandonmccann OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
proper helmet fit

Alright,

So in my searches and what I've been told at the dealers, is that you want your helmet as tight as you can get it, if any, it can only move very slightly. It shouldn't obstruct your vision vertically(sit to low, I guess), and it needs to be comfortable.

I just bought a helmet and I want to make sure it's the right fit. I called the dealership and they said it'll probably be okay, but I wanted to check on here.

The first few times I've put on my helmet, it would pull my hair back which was annoying, but I've figured out a trick to putting it on without too much a problem. The problem I have is the right side of my jaw, it's a little tight. If my jaw is loose, it doesn't feel too bad but it is kinda noticeable. Especially if I clench my jaw muscles. Will it always be like this or will it break in some? It fits fine everywhere else. I just don't want it to cut off my circulation.
brandonmccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
For most helmets, tightness in the cheek/jaw area won't tell you if the helmet is fitting correctly or not. How it sits on the crown of your head is most important. Cheek pads do break in but if it is really tight I suggest thinner cheekpads, most manufacturers have them.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
brandonmccann OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
For most helmets, tightness in the cheek/jaw area won't tell you if the helmet is fitting correctly or not. How it sits on the crown of your head is most important. Cheek pads do break in but if it is really tight I suggest thinner cheekpads, most manufacturers have them.

Well,

It really isn't the cheeks that bother me. They're just tight enough for me to chew on my cheeks. There is a pressure point on the right side of my helmet, when I flex my jaw muscle. However, it is there without doing so it's just more apparent when I do. My chin also touches the chinbar. On that, though, my chin does go out a bit and it's only barely.

I thought I'd do a little experiment and see how it fits without the cheekpads in and honestly, I'm not sure it seats down on my head all the way and the pressure points are still there.

This is the second helmet I've ordered online, and if I have to send it back will mark 40 bucks I've spent sending helmets back. I'd have to drive an hour and a half to try on a different helmet, and those would be from Shoei and Shoei only. I could drive a few more hours and go to dallas, but no matter what I'm going to end up spending $100 in gas to try and find a helmet that may/may not fit better. From my searching, I have found a suggestion of pushing in the location of the pressure point with a spoon......

edit: And I don't know if this is much a big deal, but I can put a finger underneath the neckroll. Though, if I move the helmet side to side it really isn't going anywhere, and it won't lift up or down due to the chin bar and my jaw...and that's with it unstrapped.

brandonmccann screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 12:50 AM
Old 02-01-2013, 02:54 AM   #4
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Sounds to me like you've got a helmet that is too small.

Seems the trend these days is to have a helmet that crushes your skull. I see more guys with their faces all squashed up, looking thoroughly misurable, in their new helmet.

I'm older school, and want a helmet that is comfortable enough to wear all day without crying. I don't enjoy chewing my own cheeks or suffering a splitting headache.

I don't believe this thinking that now says any helmet movement means you die, or other such claims. I've used helmets several times over the years. As long as the helmet can stay on my head, and preferably isn't spinning around on my skull, they seem to work just fine at protecting my head.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:32 AM   #5
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,262
I think a new helmet should be snug, but not uncomfortably tight. once broken in, the snuggness will go away, but the helmet will not be loose. If I'm buying online, I try to visit some shops and try on the brands I like and might order, just to see how the sizing is and if the shell is compatible with my noggin.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 455
You need to measure your head to ensure you have the correct size (measure it in centimeters - see youtube from Arai to see how). Then it is all about the head shape and you only get that worked out through trying on different styles. Sounds to me like you might need a long oval shape if your chin is touching the bar on this one but only trying stuff on will get you an answer.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
brandonmccann OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
You need to measure your head to ensure you have the correct size (measure it in centimeters - see youtube from Arai to see how). Then it is all about the head shape and you only get that worked out through trying on different styles. Sounds to me like you might need a long oval shape if your chin is touching the bar on this one but only trying stuff on will get you an answer.
Well,

When I was at the dealership to get my bike I tried on a Shoei Qwest and they said that Medium was the size that fit me correctly.

Tomorrow after my safety course I'm going to a dealership to get either an HJC or a Fulmer. Since that seems to be the only thing I can get around here..
Old 02-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmccann View Post
Well,

When I was at the dealership to get my bike I tried on a Shoei Qwest and they said that Medium was the size that fit me correctly.

Tomorrow after my safety course I'm going to a dealership to get either an HJC or a Fulmer. Since that seems to be the only thing I can get around here..
If they didn't measure your head they didn't do a good job. They need to tell you what that measurement is.

There are different shapes in the Shoei range, I believe the Qwest is determined to be a Medium Oval shape. Make sure you get the measurement done correctly, then find the right size and then find the right shape and then you will have found the right helmet.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 377
Some don't like it, but I recommend a silk or similar balaclava: keeps the hair down and keeps the helmets padding clean.
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Seems odd for only one side of your head to be developing a hot spot, maybe it is a more common issue than I think. Whatever the case, would be hard to say if the helmet was too small without actually having a head measurement. If it is not a size problem, it is an internal shape problem. With you having a hot spot on the side of your head it means you need a rounder shape (the Qwest is a slightly round shape).
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #11
brandonmccann OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
If they didn't measure your head they didn't do a good job. They need to tell you what that measurement is.

There are different shapes in the Shoei range, I believe the Qwest is determined to be a Medium Oval shape. Make sure you get the measurement done correctly, then find the right size and then find the right shape and then you will have found the right helmet.
Oh, No. They just made me try on everything and checked for gaps and movement. I'm going out of town tomorrow for my MSF course so I'll head to a dealership on the lunch break to see if HJC or Shoei makes anything that will fit me proper.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #12
twowheelpilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
add glasses to the mix and it becomes a bigger pain in the ass.
twowheelpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #13
brandonmccann OP
Adventurer

Found the perfect one :) I really like the HJC RPHA series so I think I'm going to go with them. The only other one would be a Shoei Qwest but the HJC's foam is much nicer than the Shoei.

edit: passed my MSF course by the way :)
Old 02-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #14
DestinationUnknown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
Some don't like it, but I recommend a silk or similar balaclava: keeps the hair down and keeps the helmets padding clean.
I started doing this with my most recent helmet. I wear a thin balaclava, whether winter or summer. It keeps a lot of 'funk' out of the helmet. I went through a couple of balaclavas before finding one that didn't have pressure points and also fit well.

OP, good luck on your helmet search.
DestinationUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #15
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 758
I've always put it on and shook my head--the helmet shouldn't move around, but it shouldn't be uncomfortable either.

Remember, it's likely to break in a little, so a LITTLE too tight is better than a little too loose.

Unfortunately, all of this is subjective.