Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #391
GrumpyOne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
That looks really good.

Say, how hard / scratch resistant is the anodizing on the black cases? I'll order some for my coming 2014 GS soon and from the "looks" perspective, it would definitely be black for the thundergrey GS, but from the scratch resistance and long term looks I tend towards the natural.

What do you think?

And Rob, what do you think about the scratch resistance of the anodizing?
Thanks.

My other long time hobby is Mountain Biking where black anodizing has been prevalent for a long time. I find it has very good resistance to scratches. And if a scratch does happen, it is very easy to fix with a black Sharpie. Just color the scratch and let dry. Looks like new again...

jw
Old 08-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #392
F800 Rob OP
MotoInsight

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockyv7 View Post
Rob, I find this statement hard to believe,, I do the Holan for Australia, I feel for you buddy.
Cheers Locky.

Got me there, Sheriff. As the Holan importer from 2008-2012 into the US and Canada, I know exactly what you're going through. Only in that case, it was the shipper that was at fault. Missing items, 'damaged' items, saying stuff was shipped when it clearly wasn't.

This was almost purely a logistics problem. The guys at Globescout are one of the best, if not the best group of folks I deal with. They've called me at 4:00 AM their time before. I can't speak highly enough of them or their product.

Quote:
That looks really good.

Say, how hard / scratch resistant is the anodizing on the black cases? I'll order some for my coming 2014 GS soon and from the "looks" perspective, it would definitely be black for the thundergrey GS, but from the scratch resistance and long term looks I tend towards the natural.

What do you think?

And Rob, what do you think about the scratch resistance of the anodizing?
I'd say that the scratch resistance is much better than what I expected, but still not perfect. If I were buying a set for myself, black would absolutely be the way I'd go.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #393
freefall109
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Thank you sweet baby, J. After a long wait I finally received the box.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #394
TigerMarker
Ducati/Triumph

Oddometer: 79
Nice. Post those photos up!

Oh and Rob I sent you an email
'75 Norton Commando 850 (Sold)
'02 Ducati MH900e (Sold)

TigerMarker screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 07:39 PM
TigerMarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #395
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by F800 Rob View Post
I'd say that the scratch resistance is much better than what I expected, but still not perfect. If I were buying a set for myself, black would absolutely be the way I'd go.
Hmmm. Interesting. I'm kind of torn. I don't want grey residue on all the dry bags I use - for sleeping bag, mattress, tent, tools, toiletries, food, ... I normally don't like to use dark liner bags because it's harder to find stuff inside, especially when camping and it's getting dark anyways.

So, I'm a bit torn. Black anodized means that every scratch shows up as raw aluminum underneath, natural means that it'll rub off. I know that the black ones will also look much nicer, but I probably wouldn't want to strap my Ortlieb bags on top of them during a three week vacation ride because the lid will likely look like I had used a sander on it. Grmblfx.

Also, I'm again torn between the sizes. 66L is quite small, 86L is great but fairly wide. Hmpf. I'm coming from Jesse Odysee 10" panniers which have, according to Jesse, 105L volume, so lets call that 90 to 95L really usable volume in exactly 37" width. The buyer of my Tiger wanted these, too, so I'm looking for new panniers.

I'd so love to have something exactly between the two sizes. Oh well. Some more thinking I guess.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:14 AM   #396
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Wicked

I had Jesse Safaris on my previous GS. Something like 115 liters. I managed to pack them full and still strap a small dry bag on the back for my tent and such. I over packed badly. Not to mention I think that number of the Jesses is a bit over inflated due to the huge lids which are really hard to utilize as storage space anyway. I managed to stuff things up there with the holder things but it was far from "full".

Anyway, since I've gotten the new GS, I've been running nothing more than a Twisted Throttle dry bag set up that is advertised as 66 liters combined. However with the roll up ends I believe that number to be inflated too. I've learned to trim my packing down quite a bit and I actually really like it. Most crap never left the bags anyway with the Jesses.

I have the cut 35l bags as well as the top box kit on order here. With my new method of packing, I figure the 66 liters of the side cases will be enough on a solo trip and keep me fairly light. When the wife cones the top box and maybe some bags strapes to the side case lids will be plenty. Realistically, I think I could still trim some more down which I'm working on. Every trip I've taken this summer I've really focused on what I could have left home.

Point of all this is riding over packed sucks. Gets the 35s and trim your gear back. You'll be better for it.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #397
F800 Rob OP
MotoInsight

IMHO, the stated capacity of the Jesses is absolutely overrated. I was a reseller for over a year. Realistically, I believe they are somewhere in the 80s or 90s in useable capacity.

That said, if you cant manage a trip on 70L of enclosed storage + a dry bag or top case, you are most likely over packing.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #398
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by F800 Rob View Post
That said, if you cant manage a trip on 70L of enclosed storage + a dry bag or top case, you are most likely over packing.
That's a valid opinion and I don't completely disagree. It's a matter of comfort and what is packed where.

For me it's sometimes like this:

And at other times like this:

None of the pictures has anything packed (other than tools, tire tools, first aid kit which I wouldn't leave at home anyways) that we didn't use.

So, do we overpack? I don't think so. The panniers and top case weren't "stuffed". There was room to spare and room to shop during the days. And even room to bring something home. I enjoy that.

When you travel with the wife and want to have a comfortable and relaxing vacation, you just pack a bit more ... it's just not always a time to be minimalist.

Also, Andrea just moved to an R1200R, going from ~80L top loading storage to about 60L side loading storage. If I go now from ~90L (let's just assume the Jesses are around that size) down to 66L we are short by ~45L locked volume. That is quite a bit. We can pack tighter, we can also shrink some of our gear by using a smaller tent and smaller packing mattresses, but it'll be tight, we won't have the "comfortable room to pack" anymore.

Ah, whatever.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #399
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
That's a valid opinion and I don't completely disagree. It's a matter of comfort and what is packed where.

For me it's sometimes like this:

None of the pictures has anything packed (other than tools, tire tools, first aid kit which I wouldn't leave at home anyways) that we didn't use.

So, do we overpack? I don't think so. The panniers and top case weren't "stuffed". There was room to spare and room to shop during the days. And even room to bring something home. I enjoy that.

When you travel with the wife and want to have a comfortable and relaxing vacation, you just pack a bit more ... it's just not always a time to be minimalist.

Also, Andrea just moved to an R1200R, going from ~80L top loading storage to about 60L side loading storage. If I go now from ~90L (let's just assume the Jesses are around that size) down to 66L we are short by ~45L locked volume. That is quite a bit. We can pack tighter, we can also shrink some of our gear by using a smaller tent and smaller packing mattresses, but it'll be tight, we won't have the "comfortable room to pack" anymore.

Ah, whatever.
That's what it should be. I don't get why people feel the need to bring every creature comfort from home and have multiple bags on top of their panniers. Might as well go car camping or take an RV. Ad then there's those with just as much crap, but stay in a hotel every night
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #400
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
That's what it should be. I don't get why people feel the need to bring every creature comfort from home and have multiple bags on top of their panniers. Might as well go car camping or take an RV. Ad then there's those with just as much crap, but stay in a hotel every night

We actually did have pretty much every creature comfort we wanted. My wife brought a memory-foam pillow ... It was in the top case together with my laptop and our jacket liners. But that's what I mean - the cases are very roomy, we didn't have to compress anything, we did have room to add stuff during the trip.

It was perfect for us. For long weekends in hotels, this is what it normally looked like:

I don't need large cases for my weekend or three to five day trips. But it's damn convenient to have them on the two week or longer trips so nothing hangs around on straps and nets. I just hate that. But I hate a wide load even more.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #401
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
I've learned that my load doesn't really change no matter three or four days or three weeks. My biggest issue in the past was packing lots of clothes. Now I just do some laundry on the road. It doesn't take but a few minutes really. I also used to take lots of tools. The GSW has lots of common sizes so that alone allows you to cut back. Further, even though I'm capable of doing the work, I've realized that any major breakdown will be getting a tow to the dealer anyway as diagnosing and getting parts is likely going to be far harder than doing the work anyway. I have roadside service for a reason. So I've lightened my load a bunch there too.

I've also purchased some new gear such as a fancy pillow from Big Agnes that is air core but memory foam on top. Packs small and very comfortable. Lots of comforts of home can still be packed very small and light.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #402
cug
--

Rob, do you have more photos of the mounting setup on the water cooled GS? I'm curious how it's attached to the bike (details).
Old 08-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #403
freefall109
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hmmm. Interesting. I'm kind of torn. I don't want grey residue on all the dry bags I use - for sleeping bag, mattress, tent, tools, toiletries, food, ... I normally don't like to use dark liner bags because it's harder to find stuff inside, especially when camping and it's getting dark anyways.

So, I'm a bit torn. Black anodized means that every scratch shows up as raw aluminum underneath, natural means that it'll rub off. I know that the black ones will also look much nicer, but I probably wouldn't want to strap my Ortlieb bags on top of them during a three week vacation ride because the lid will likely look like I had used a sander on it. Grmblfx.

Also, I'm again torn between the sizes. 66L is quite small, 86L is great but fairly wide. Hmpf. I'm coming from Jesse Odysee 10" panniers which have, according to Jesse, 105L volume, so lets call that 90 to 95L really usable volume in exactly 37" width. The buyer of my Tiger wanted these, too, so I'm looking for new panniers.

I'd so love to have something exactly between the two sizes. Oh well. Some more thinking I guess.

Cug, this was exactly my thought process. IMHO, scratches on aluminum look like it gets used, scratches on anodized aluminum look abused.

I went with TT black powder coated racks and now I wish I had gone full Stainless finish. After putting the boxes on/off a few times I have chipped off powder coating...cosmetic, but silver showing through black chip marks are not exactly subtle.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #404
F800 Rob OP
MotoInsight

Quote:
Rob, do you have more photos of the mounting setup on the water cooled GS? I'm curious how it's attached to the bike (details).
I have some really early development pictures of it that might answer your question. I don't want to post them here because people will inadvertently confuse these with the final product.

PM me with your email and I'll forward them on.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #405
freefall109
Gnarly Adventurer

Finally got the cases mounted. This is the 35/ 28L combo.

freefall109 screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 03:05 PM
freefall109 is offline   Reply With Quote