ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #481
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,827
Btw: You guys should still update the info about the width of the "GS Special System" on the website.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #482
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Fenton, MI
Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by prudolf View Post
Our order is complete and is shipping out soon (this week). We are still aiming for the week of the 21st for our delivery, pending no delays, and will ship customer orders out from earliest to most recent.

Everyone will receive tracking/shipping info when their order is ready to ship!
So, we looking good still? 3 months and still waiting now. Im getting antsy.
__________________
'13 BMW 1200 GSW
'05 Honda ST1300
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #483
prudolf
LM Cycle Supply
 
prudolf's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Oddometer: 101
We are keeping in contact with Globescout to follow the status of our shipment. Though we were optimistic that we would have our delivery by the end of the month, it looks as the logistics of getting the boat on the water will have the shipment on our shore in the first week of November. Our local delivery will be shortly afterwards and we will work hard on getting all of your orders sorted and shipped immediately.

We greatly appreciate everyone's patience on their pre-ordered panniers and top cases, and will make sure that it is all quite certainly worth the wait!
__________________
Paul Rudolf

Adventure Motorcycle Depot | S1000RR Depot | F800 Depot | Twalcom USA
prudolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #484
prudolf
LM Cycle Supply
 
prudolf's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Btw: You guys should still update the info about the width of the "GS Special System" on the website.
Hi cug,

These are the specs that are listed on the site:
Dimentions:
  • 45L Special Kit - 86L Total Volume - Width 980MM
  • 35L Special Kit - 66L Total Volume - Width 900MM
__________________
Paul Rudolf

Adventure Motorcycle Depot | S1000RR Depot | F800 Depot | Twalcom USA
prudolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #485
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by prudolf View Post
Hi cug,

These are the specs that are listed on the site:
Dimentions:
  • 45L Special Kit - 86L Total Volume - Width 980MM
  • 35L Special Kit - 66L Total Volume - Width 900MM
Understood, and one of them can't be right (and according to the drawing I believe it's the 45L that is 40mm off).

Here is what I wrote a while back:

Quote:
But how is that possible if the 45L pannier is 280mm and the 35L is 220mm wide? That would mean there is 120mm difference between the two sets, not 80mm.

And I assumed here that the "normal" 35L and 45L panniers are the same width as the "special" notched set (at least at the top).
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #486
prudolf
LM Cycle Supply
 
prudolf's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Understood, and one of them can't be right (and according to the drawing I believe it's the 45L that is 40mm off).

Here is what I wrote a while back:
Cug,

Thanks again for your reply and feedback, and all makes perfect sense. I just searched through the older posts and it looks like Rob concurred, it just didn't make it to the website

I've updated the details for the GS-W special kits with the proper dimensions:

Dimentions:
  • 45L Special Kit - 86L Total Volume - Width 1020MM
  • 35L Special Kit - 66L Total Volume - Width 900MM


Take care,
-Paul
__________________
Paul Rudolf

Adventure Motorcycle Depot | S1000RR Depot | F800 Depot | Twalcom USA
prudolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #487
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by prudolf View Post
I've updated the details for the GS-W special kits with the proper dimensions:
Thanks Paul! I was on the fence with the system but plain can't make up my mind at the moment. I want something that works really easy with liners, which means the upper lip around the opening won't be working so well for me.

I might still just get a set of your excellent panniers. Just not yet as long as I don't need them right away.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #488
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Thanks Paul! I was on the fence with the system but plain can't make up my mind at the moment. I want something that works really easy with liners, which means the upper lip around the opening won't be working so well for me.

I might still just get a set of your excellent panniers. Just not yet as long as I don't need them right away.
Not sure what kind of liners you plan to use, but any out there made for the BMW adventure cases will fit. The lip is not that big like the Jesse lips. They're just large enough to prevent most full face helmets from fitting inside.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #489
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,827
I normally get my liners made to fit. So I could deal with the lip - it's just that a lip is always in the way when putting liners in or getting them out.

As said: right now I don't need side cases as the time for longer rides is over for the year and I will likely take a look at the landscape of available products next spring.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #490
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Fenton, MI
Oddometer: 815
A lip of some sort has been on every set of bags ive ever had. I've never really noticed it to be an issue? You must have those custom bags to the EXACT dimensions.

As for the time, the bags will likely take a while to get here so I wouldnt wait to order till the last minute.
__________________
'13 BMW 1200 GSW
'05 Honda ST1300
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:23 AM   #491
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
A lip of some sort has been on every set of bags ive ever had. I've never really noticed it to be an issue? You must have those custom bags to the EXACT dimensions.

As for the time, the bags will likely take a while to get here so I wouldnt wait to order till the last minute.
Yeah, no kidding. It's barely a lip and I couldn't image any type of soft bag not fitting in them unless he's sticking a solid hard item in there that's exactly the same dimensions as the inside of of the pannier.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #492
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,827
I can only go with the photos and there it isn't clear how much the lip intrudes into the opening. I generally like to use full size liners that are custom made to fit a pannier properly. When I fill them, they'll be stiff and I don't want to waste space inside the pannier just to get the liner through the opening. And if the liner is high to also fill the lid area, the lip is plain in the way.

The next question is how well the lid space can be used. Systems like Metal Mule plain don't have any lid space which makes that easy and straight forward. A system like the Jesse bags have at least a concept on how to use the lid. I've seen the lid net on the advdepot.com website, would be interesting to know how well that actually works to use the space properly. Gut feeling for me is to use that space properly, you'd need a small liner to fill that space. Everything else is just going to be a pair of gloves or so stuffed behind the net. It's hard to use ~50% of the lid space in the Jesse bags, on these here I can only imagine it being a bit harder. But that's guess work. Maybe someone can chime in with experience on it.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #493
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Fenton, MI
Oddometer: 815
Im still waiting for my sidecases but I have the topbox. The lid isnt all that big. Smaller than my previous Jesses were.

I also have the lid net. Not only is it a net, but its a pocket too. I have a few small charging cables for my mobile devices in there but there would still be plentg of room for a wallet and cell and paperwork and such. The lid itself isnt near as deep as the Jesses were so there isnt quite a much room, but the net also creates more of a barrier than the metal wire deal in the Jesses. I actually cut out a piece of plywood for my Jesses to fill the hole and then used the wire spring thing to hold the wood in place when the lid was closed. This effectively created a separate compartment. The net does this for you with the Globescout. I wouldnt put much weight up there as I doubt the net would fair all that well but there are eyelets in the lid itself that the net hooks to that could easily be used to hook some actual tie straps to to cinch down heavier items like tool rolls or something if thats what you wish. Personally, I dont like putting heavy items high so the lids of my bags have previously only ever been used for things like small first aid kits and maybe a roll of towels and maybe some spare warm clothes and other misc items of the like. Basically items I wouldnt usually need access to but are nice to have along

Maybe if I find time in the next day or two ill snap a few pics showing my topbox. id imagine the lip and the nets will be basically the same.
__________________
'13 BMW 1200 GSW
'05 Honda ST1300
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #494
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I can only go with the photos and there it isn't clear how much the lip intrudes into the opening. I generally like to use full size liners that are custom made to fit a pannier properly. When I fill them, they'll be stiff and I don't want to waste space inside the pannier just to get the liner through the opening. And if the liner is high to also fill the lid area, the lip is plain in the way.

The next question is how well the lid space can be used. Systems like Metal Mule plain don't have any lid space which makes that easy and straight forward. A system like the Jesse bags have at least a concept on how to use the lid. I've seen the lid net on the advdepot.com website, would be interesting to know how well that actually works to use the space properly. Gut feeling for me is to use that space properly, you'd need a small liner to fill that space. Everything else is just going to be a pair of gloves or so stuffed behind the net. It's hard to use ~50% of the lid space in the Jesse bags, on these here I can only imagine it being a bit harder. But that's guess work. Maybe someone can chime in with experience on it.
Have you read my reviews? I have some pics of the lip and all the stuff that can be crammed in the lids using the nets. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873555 The Globescout nets don't let you add much under there since they're so taught and the clips are plastic. Mine broke after a week of owning them, they're junk. I bought a couple Goldwing luggage nets that clipped right in the lids using metal clips and allowed me to store my waterproof pants and jacket in one lid and a bag with tools in the other pannier.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #495
prudolf
LM Cycle Supply
 
prudolf's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Oddometer: 101
Lid Nets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Have you read my reviews? I have some pics of the lip and all the stuff that can be crammed in the lids using the nets. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873555 The Globescout nets don't let you add much under there since they're so taught and the clips are plastic. Mine broke after a week of owning them, they're junk. I bought a couple Goldwing luggage nets that clipped right in the lids using metal clips and allowed me to store my waterproof pants and jacket in one lid and a bag with tools in the other pannier.
The lid nets have been a great accessory for our panniers and top cases for making as much use of the lid space as possible. Though they're designed to separate and store a few small items, I can understand your need for a more robust net for the lid. We have already forwarded your feedback, which we greatly appreciate seeing, over to Globescout to consider a re-design of the lid-net.

Thanks!
__________________
Paul Rudolf

Adventure Motorcycle Depot | S1000RR Depot | F800 Depot | Twalcom USA
prudolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014