Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2013, 02:09 AM   #511
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomada Cases View Post
Hi all

We would prefer not to engage in comparison games and focus our efforts on innovation but we cannot ignore the false information being published about our products and promoted on the forums.

The comparison chart published by Advdepot is misleading the users in the following categories:

1 Materials
We have never produced panniers from 1,5 mm sheets because we strongly believe that it’s not enough for off-road performance. Since the beginning NOMADA, Nomada PRO i Nomada PRO II have always been made from 2 mm aluminium.
As far as materials we have always used EN AW-5754 aluminium which is an aluminium magnesium alloy. We have corresponding ISO and DIN certificates for AlMg3.

2. Lid
It says in the chart: no hinge
Let us answer with the photos of our panniers.

[IMttp://i41.tinypic.com/nl65nr.jpg[/IMG]

If you like to read more about aluminium panniers please visit: http://www.aluminiumpanniers.com

Happy riding

Nomada team
I see you read my book. "How to be an asshole" On sale everywhere!
Old 11-20-2013, 04:08 AM   #512
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
I see you read my book. "How to be an asshole" On sale everywhere!
If their panniers were misleadingly described by this vendor it seems fair enough that they get an opportunity to set the record straight in the same thread.

And they did so in a courteous way so they must have not read your book....
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #513
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
If their panniers were misleadingly described by this vendor it seems fair enough that they get an opportunity to set the record straight in the same thread.

I suppose youre right in some ways but considering its a vendor thread and they are respondi g to something so old seems a bit dick-ish. Its just a tact thing. And I felt like being a smartass.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #514
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

I just weighed the bags. I have the GSW 35l special set.

With all mounting hardward, combined weight is 35 lbs. The bags themselves weigh 27 lbs for the pair.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #515
F800 Rob OP
MotoInsight

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post

The comparison chart was developed based upon information provided to us and to the existing importer. I've advised LM cycle supply to alter the chart stating that the previously mentioned products are constructed of a, "claimed 2MM aluminum alloy", and to clarify the bit about a hinge.

In either case, it appears that the chart has been updated. I would have personally done so immediately if someone would have sent me an email or called. It's was initially created in March, 2013 - 8 months ago.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #516
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by F800 Rob View Post
The comparison chart was developed based upon information provided to us and to the existing importer. I've advised LM cycle supply to alter the chart stating that the previously mentioned products are constructed of a, "claimed 2MM aluminum alloy", and to clarify the bit about a hinge.

In either case, it appears that the chart has been updated. I would have personally done so immediately if someone would have sent me an email or called. It's was initially created in March, 2013 - 8 months ago.
A PM "should" have been the first contact to rectify the issue.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #517
deacon51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
What is the current availability of the GlobeScout specials for the 2013+ R1200GS?
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #518
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
I just received my Globescout special set for my LC. These bags are very nice and in a different league all together than the BMW adventure bags for the R1200GSA. Build quality is exceptional.

I will hopefully get them installed tomorrow but in the meantime pics are attached.

Not sure what happened to my photos but here is a link to the Picasa shared album

https://plus.google.com/photos/10232...IbJ4aWWh53S4QE

hammick screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 08:28 AM
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #519
Rharrod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Sweet Looks very nice. Ride safe Richard P.S. clean up that, before your wife see it.
Rharrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #520
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

OZ97TJ:

Did your rack come with installation instructions? Mine only came with a carrier joint diagram. If you have installed yours do you have any advice?

I would think there should be instructions and torque values.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #521
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rharrod View Post
Sweet Looks very nice. Ride safe Richard P.S. clean up that, before your wife see it.
I had to leave them on the counter until she got home. She loves motorcycle stuff and wrenching Not.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #522
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick View Post
OZ97TJ:

Did your rack come with installation instructions? Mine only came with a carrier joint diagram. If you have installed yours do you have any advice?

I would think there should be instructions and torque values.
I actually installed mine today but didn't take any pics because half my body work is off the bike right now because of some electrical work.

Mine came with the same very lame "joint diagram" if it could even be called that. It was pretty comical. However, it's a pretty basic install.

Loosen both of your passenger peg brackets with a T45 torx. The front of the pannier mount with the hooked end slides over the rear most bolt. There is an included spacer that goes over the front bolt. The angle brackets and are numbered per the diagram. Basically, they just slide down through the slot in the factory pannier mounts and get bolted down with the existing T40 torx bolts that are already there. Use the included 4 bolts to bolt the pannier frame to those tabs. Lastly, the rear cross brace bolts on with the two smaller included bolts. I actually broke one of those bolts while snugging everything up because stainless is fairly soft. I ran to the hardware and purchased a pair of bolts that are the next size larger (5/16 vs the included 1/4).

Obviously, like anything, leave everything loose until everything is mounted then tighten everything down. I didn't use a torque wrench on anything as its just not needed. We aren't talking about assembling an engine. It's just pannier racks. Don't overthink it. The bolts are all fairly small so don't get crazy tightening them. Just snug them up enough to remove all slack in the joints.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with them. They are a fairly tight to the bike keeping width down and they are sexy. I only wish it wasn't winter so I could load them up and try them out on a trip.

oz97tj screwed with this post 11-21-2013 at 09:58 PM
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #523
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Mine are installed and I am very happy with them. The LC special set does not come with instructions so here is a little install guide. Tools needed include a T40 socket, 3/4" socket drive, extender, 13mm open end wrench, metric allen sockets and a smaller open end wrench (cannot remember size) or a crescent wrench and maybe a mallet. You will probably also need a T40 torx bit and small crescent wrench to put the muffler back on as the rack will be in the way. See photo below.

1. Remove the four bolts shown in the photo and install the carrier mounts. They are numbered and there is a diagram which comes with your rack. Do not use any of the included washers (they are for installing the racks). You may need a mallet for the front ones. There rears go in easy. Tighten the bolts back up.

2. Loosen the passenger peg bolts on both sides with a T40 torx. There are two bolts per side. You will need to remove the exhaust or angle it out of the way. Removal is very easy plus you can clean it up with some WD40 and put some anti-seize on it to save you grief years down the road.

Note the rack is already installed in the above photo.

3. Install the racks as shown in the photos. The included spacers go between the forward bolt of the passenger pegs on each side. Install the bolts and nylon nuts for the racks into the carrier mounts you installed in step no. 1. Included washers go on each side of the bolts. Note that the racks are mounted on the outside of the carrier mounts. There is not room for the nylon nuts if you try it on the inside. Dont ask me how I know. Leave the rack bolts loose for tightening once everything is installed. Also leave the passenger peg bolts loose.

4. Install the rack connector bar. It goes on the inside of the rack mount holes. Install the hardware and leave it loose. See photo above.

5. Make sure the racks are fully seated between the passenger pegs and the frame. A little tap with a mallet might be in order. Tighten up the rack bolts first and then the rear connector bolts and finally the passenger peg torx bolts. All tools are metric size. The included bolts are Allen bolts.

6. Put the muffler back on. You will realize the rack is in the way of putting a T40 socket on the bolt. I used a small T40 bit and a small crescent wrench to tighten it back up. Remember to add these to your long distance tool kit in case you need to remove the muffler on the road.

7. Install the bags. I put the rear tabs towards the rear instead of straight up to prevent the bags from sliding back. However, it may be better to put both tabs straight up so the backs can slide back in a get off to deflect some of the crash load. I may change the rear one to straight up and see if they slide back while riding.

Finished product:

These are the 35l bags and their installed width is exactly 35 3/4" from the outside edge of each bag. A little less than the width of the handlebars. I imagine the 45l bags may be wider than the bars.

As shown in the above photo you cannot see the bags from directly in front of the bike. I am glad I chose the 35l bags.

hammick screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 10:41 AM
Old 11-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #524
Hillclimber57
World Traveler

Oddometer: 6
Just got my 45L set for my GSW and will attempt the install this weekend. Thanks for the pics so I can get a headstart on what I am in for.

Did anyone pick up the topcase? Same thing as panniers, no instructions, but you get the topcase, rack, and then a bag of parts(bolts, spacers, washers, and some sort of rails). Anyone install one before?

PS> when you received the panniers with racks did any of you get a rack with junk inside the tubes? I shake my exhaust side rack and it sounds like a rattle. I have been shaking it and sand is coming out via the small drain holes on the bottom. The larger particles, I imagine sand/dirt/small stones still remain. I doubt I will hear it on the bike but a little weird that they would weld these up with debris inside.
Hillclimber57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #525
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

I have the topcase too. Ive had it for a few months now. I did receive some redesigned parts to beef up the mount but I haven't got around to installing them yet.

Either way, the top case is pretty self explanatory once you hold it up to the bike. I actually have a metal rack like the old GSA that I plan to mount my top case too though.