User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
Grreatdog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,832
Talk to me about the MDX

We need a new boat/dog/bike/vacation hauler suitable for the long haul. Our second 3G 4Runner has been good to us. But it is 15 years old now, has over 100k miles and the seats flat out suck. It is getting to be a tired beast and we are tired of doing 2000 mile vacations in it.

We tried a couple of 4G 4Runners and found it is a new body with even worse seats. I can save $25k by sticking with our current torture rack. So we tried a 5G 4Runner. WTF is Toyota thinking? A four door FJ Cruiser is not what we want. So we have to reboot on the replacement vehicle.

We want something that is 4WD or AWD and can occasionally tow 4000 pounds to the boat ramp yet not be pure misery to travel in with a golden retriever in the back and all of our crap on board. We wanted body on frame but have just about given up on those unicorns. We need to stay under $25k. hopefully well under.

A salesman at our Audi/Acura dealership where we looking at a used 4G 4Runner almost has me sold on a 2006 MDX Touring. Almost. We had terrible luck with two Civics so it is a hard sell. But this thing has a sweet interior and can supposedly tow. Consumer Reports likes it and all the reviews seem to like.

So I turn to the real experts for the final word. Anybody have any experience with these things?

And, no, I don't want a TDI.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,053
I recently bought on '06 MDX. I like it a LOT better than the 4Runner I used to have. It was cheaper to buy used too. I have the loaded Touring model with RES/Nav. I haul a dog in the back, plenty of room, and two kids. The DVD player is a life saver on road trips. Gas mileage could be a lot better. What I found by researching them before buying was stay newer than 2004. The older models have terrible problems with the transmissions, all Hondas/Acuras did. I've had loved to find a 2007 or newer model, but the cheapest I could find was over $5000 more than I paid for my 2006.....even with the same mileage, etc. I find the seats to be very comfortable. I really like the interior, I just wish there was more "storage" in the front. I tend to keep a lo of "stuff" in my vehicles.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
Grreatdog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, more comfortable than our 4Runner is what I want to hear. The transmission thing had not escaped my attention. I know a couple of people with dead older Honda minivans from bad transmissions.

I tend to think of aftermarket warranties as pure scam, but I might buy one anyway if we go this route. Our luck with Honda has been dismal at best. So I am not totally convinced about their reliability.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

I've been a Toyota guy for almost 20 years. this was my first non-Toyota since the early 90s! But Toyota doesn't make a mid sized SUV with a 3rd row seat standard. You can get one in a Highlander, but they are hard to find, nearly impossible to get one with leather, loaded, etc without paying several thousand in "upgrade" fees. A comparable Highlander cost several thousand more than a loaded Acura. I just couldn't justify paying more for a Toyota. I knew I wanted a Pilot or MDX to fit my needs, and the MDX has a much nicer interior....where I spend 99.999% of my time with a vehicle!

Finding rampant problems with vehicles is as easy as a quick Google search. I knew of he Honda transmission failures, and knew I wanted a newer model. I had a transmission failure in my Tundra last summer, at 175,000 miles! But it was a known problem in the 2000-2002 models.

My last 4Runner was a 2003, and my biggest complain was how uncomfortable it was. There was no legroom in the backseat either. And I always felt like I was rubbing shoulder with whoever was in the passenger seat. They look big from the outside, feel like a Mini on the inside. Just the opposite of the Pilot or MDX.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
We need a new boat/dog/bike/vacation hauler suitable for the long haul. Our second 3G 4Runner has been good to us. But it is 15 years old now, has over 100k miles and the seats flat out suck. It is getting to be a tired beast and we are tired of doing 2000 mile vacations in it.

We tried a couple of 4G 4Runners and found it is a new body with even worse seats. I can save $25k by sticking with our current torture rack. So we tried a 5G 4Runner. WTF is Toyota thinking? A four door FJ Cruiser is not what we want. So we have to reboot on the replacement vehicle.

We want something that is 4WD or AWD and can occasionally tow 4000 pounds to the boat ramp yet not be pure misery to travel in with a golden retriever in the back and all of our crap on board. We wanted body on frame but have just about given up on those unicorns. We need to stay under $25k. hopefully well under.

A salesman at our Audi/Acura dealership where we looking at a used 4G 4Runner almost has me sold on a 2006 MDX Touring. Almost. We had terrible luck with two Civics so it is a hard sell. But this thing has a sweet interior and can supposedly tow. Consumer Reports likes it and all the reviews seem to like.

So I turn to the real experts for the final word. Anybody have any experience with these things?

And, no, I don't want a TDI.
Have you considered a TDI?

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Grreatdog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Will it pull 4000 pounds of boat up a slimy ramp? Besides, Grreatwife took one look at the MDX and asked why we were looking at cars.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,797
I got a touareg tdi and it is light years ahead of my old toyota truck. Works great and gets good gas mileage.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Will it pull 4000 pounds of boat up a slimy ramp? Besides, Grreatwife took one look at the MDX and asked why we were looking at cars.
Probably
Old 01-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
Grreatdog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Where is that facepalm smiley anyway?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,544
4500lb towing capacity and 255 horsepower. Vtm-4 lock in gears 1st and 2nd.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,784
Mdx!

Is higher end than a Highlander. Nicer vehicle all round. Here a 2 year old MDX cost as much as a new Highlander. Junior bought a used 2010 MDX. Loves it as does everybody that owns one. You won't be disappointed.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,375
we looked at them for about a minute a few years ago and the interior I thought was way too busy too many buttons on the wheel. My wife got a Lexus RX330 instead. That was a great car, never had a single issue in 90,000 miles.

She sold that and bought a Lexus GX470. Much nicer, plenty of grunt, spacious, unreal comfortable. Sucky on gas but that's what it is. That car is also supremely reliable, 60k on it with not one single issue.

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #13
Grreatdog OP
Beastly Adventurer

I tried on the RX330 because I like them - but too "car" for my wife. I am actually going to hit Carmax tonight and look at another one. If I can get her to drive one she might bite.

Gas doesn't matter to us. Her vehicle gets driven maybe 20 miles in a big week of driving and we don't mind paying for fuel on a long trip as long as we have room for all of our crap.

If I trip over a GX470 that we can afford it will be in driveway as fast as I can write the check.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
Just traded an 08 tech mdx for a new odyssey. Mdx second gen look the best imo, new ones, blah.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #15
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

The RX330 wasn't an option for me, as I wanted a 3rd row seat. Toyota HATES the 3rd row seat, and charges extra for it on the few vehicles they put them in.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: