User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
surly357 OP
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 541
Nikon AW1, anybody been using one?

Sorry for the duplicate post from 'shiny things', but no responses there...

Just curious who's been shooting one and what your experiences have been. Seems like it would be a popular option with the adv crowd but I haven't had much luck searching and finding any info.

*** Wondering specifically about the AW1. ***

Already have a Lumix p&s 'rugged' camera so I don't want to open a discussion on the AW100, Oly Tough, Pentax Optio, or similar cameras. ;-)

Thanks!
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
A mate of mine (non motorcyclist but great photographer) has one and loves it for beach and inclement weather type shots. He uses it for taking movies of off road remote controlled cars and well as stills in the surf and at the beach and gets great footage and images.
If you are looking for a mirrorless camera with interchangeable lenses that is also rugged and dependable you would have trouble finding anything better especially at the discounted prices that are available for the AW1.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,389
I looked at a lot of cameras very recently. The Aw1 was on the list and really looked at the reviews at the reviews of a lot of them. In the end I went a different direction with the weather sealed but bigger Pentax K50....great camera for the type of photos I am looking to take.

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
MotoDaveL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
I have the more pedestrian non waterproof version and I really like it. I always had point and shoots before and really find the quality of the Nikon1 is a big step up. I would never call myself a photographer but I think the pictures are pretty good.
MotoDaveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
surly357 OP
Cochetopa dreamin'

Thanks, guys.

That Pentax is interesting, I did not know about it.

The Nikon is appealing to me due to it's larger sensor compared to a P&S, should be pretty dust proof in the summer, and it looks like with the 10mm lens it would still be flat enough to fit under a shell when hiking in cold/wet weather.

I don't need a scuba camera, but I sure like having a weatherproof camera that can take a few bumps.

I may just take snapshots, but I do like cameras... ;-)

Old 12-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
I am interested in AW1 also. How does it work with MC gloves? I understand they did some monkeying with the controls to enable glove use underwater...maybe that helps MC use?

I like the weather and rugged build. One thing wrong with my higher end P&S (1/1.7 sensor) is focus time/operation. I know the Nikon 1 has a reputation for very fast focus which appeals to me when I pull over to get that fleeting shot.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #7
surly357 OP
Cochetopa dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas View Post
I am interested in AW1 also. How does it work with MC gloves? I understand they did some monkeying with the controls to enable glove use underwater...maybe that helps MC use?

I like the weather and rugged build. One thing wrong with my higher end P&S (1/1.7 sensor) is focus time/operation. I know the Nikon 1 has a reputation for very fast focus which appeals to me when I pull over to get that fleeting shot.

i need to get down to mike's camera in boulder to check these out in person, i guess the 'action' mode allows you to control the camera by tilting the camera from side to side. although i don't know how many functions are accessed that way. crazy.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by surly357 View Post
Thanks, guys.
That Pentax is interesting, I did not know about it.
That Pentax is no more weather sealed than most other mid-high end DSLRs these days. Nothing special there, my 6 year old Nikon D300 has the same sort of weather sealing.
Don't forget with a DSLR if you have a weather sealed body you ruin the whole premise for the set up if you don't have weather sealed lenses as well.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
That Pentax is no more weather sealed than most other mid-high end DSLRs these days. Nothing special there, my 6 year old Nikon D300 has the same sort of weather sealing.
Don't forget with a DSLR if you have a weather sealed body you ruin the whole premise for the set up if you don't have weather sealed lenses as well.
The novelty of Pentax is they also have a line of weather sealed lenses. My understanding is that the weatherproof Canon's and Nikon's are much more expensive cameras than the K-50. For example the Nikon 3000 and 5000 series is not sealed, but the 7000 series is. I think the Canon line is similar.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:41 PM   #10
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
I've been considering on for a while. Have an rx100 II that I currently use an underwater case for while kayaking, but this could potentially have better zoom and not need a case, saving the rx for pocket around town and riding. I love the rx but I want a second something with good zoom capabilities.
wizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #11
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
My lens are sealed

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-1-AW1-vs-Pentax-K-50

Of course the D300 is an older design.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon_D300S-vs-Pentax-K-50

My point is as you look at cameras, really think about what you want to do. So many amazing places cross our paths that the DSLR's or at least the Pentax K50 is pretty good buy for really good results. With most of the other makers you really have to step up the cash to get what it offers. Buy what you want and post up the pics.

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #12
Sailorlite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Nikon Waterproof Housing $99

This seems like a remarkably good deal if it fits your AW1:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...using_for.html

I just bought Nikon's AW120 p&s so I have the underwater function already handled (if not too deep).
Sailorlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #13
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorlite View Post
This seems like a remarkably good deal if it fits your AW1:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...using_for.html

I just bought Nikon's AW120 p&s so I have the underwater function already handled (if not too deep).
The aw1 is waterproof to 50' without a housing which is what makes it desirable. It's basically an interchangeable lense rugged camera like the aw100.

Serious Question for the Pentax fella: is the Pentax sealed like the aw1, as in totally waterproof down to 50'? Can it be taken on a kayak in the ocean and used with salty wet hands? Can it be stuck in my pfd kayaking rapids and be submerged by when I have to roll? If so it would be a good option. If not than it needn't be compared to the aw1.
wizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #14
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,991
Nope I would not consider submerging the Pentax. I think they show something like that in some ads, but it is not really built for submersion. People have reported them leaking in less severe use than submersion. I think the Nikon is probably the camera with the best photo quality that is really rated for diving.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #15
c-m
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
The Nikon AW1 and Pentax are two completely different types of cameras.

That being said, the weather sealing on the Pentax is nothing to be sniffed at. It's the same as the K5 and there's plenty of videos showing that being run under taps, and showers etc..
c-m is offline   Reply With Quote