Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
flyingz06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Why no hi-Viz in the premium shoei helmets?

new 1200 or GT air
2008 Yamaha WR250
flyingz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 5,059
I've only meet two people with Hi-Viz helmets and may have seen one or two while out riding.....not much demand?

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
palada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Check out the Neotec. There's a black model with bright green stripes. Also, white is also considered a 'safe' helmet color.
palada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
actually the only color that was shown to increase viability was indeed white... I dont know those models, but if they are new, Shoei always brings out the high vis models after other models in new models... .. did I say models enough??
Old 07-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Not enough people want to dress like the Human Hi-liter?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:52 AM   #6
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
the Shoei Yellow is much more visible than the hi viz green others have.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:32 AM   #7
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,119
Hi Viz always fades after a time and looks crappy. It's the nature of the beast -- since it reacts with UV, there's no way to make a hi-viz dye or paint that doesn't fade with exposure to sunlight.

People don't understand this and bitch bitterly when their expensive Hi-Viz helmets and gear start fading after a year or two (I've seen it here in this very forum). Shoei, understandably, doesn't want to deal with it. And they probably don't want their helmets out there looking faded.

You can still get "brilliant yellow" or white solid RF1200 or GT-Air, and the Qwest is also available in the same "brilliant yellow" -- it's a nice bright yellow, but it's not a Hi-Viz or "neon" yellow, even though some web sites have it listed incorrectly as Hi-Viz.

There's a patterned RF1200 ("Beacon") that uses true red or yellow Hi-Viz -- this is probably designed this way specifically because the fading won't be as apparent when it's part of a pattern.

As mentioned above, boring old solid white helmets have been shown to be the most visible.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."

bwringer screwed with this post 07-14-2014 at 06:40 AM
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #8
Xan13x
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingz06 View Post
new 1200 or GT air
Can't remember off the top of my head, but either the gt air or neotec has an LE graphic that is like an angled half white/black helmet.
Xan13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
My friend was kind of looking for one and I said about just getting a white one. They stick out pretty good.
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #10
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,868

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #11
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Hi Viz always fades after a time and looks crappy. It's the nature of the beast -- since it reacts with UV, there's no way to make a hi-viz dye or paint that doesn't fade with exposure to sunlight.

People don't understand this and bitch bitterly when their expensive Hi-Viz helmets and gear start fading after a year or two (I've seen it here in this very forum). Shoei, understandably, doesn't want to deal with it. And they probably don't want their helmets out there looking faded.

You can still get "brilliant yellow" or white solid RF1200 or GT-Air, and the Qwest is also available in the same "brilliant yellow" -- it's a nice bright yellow, but it's not a Hi-Viz or "neon" yellow, even though some web sites have it listed incorrectly as Hi-Viz.

There's a patterned RF1200 ("Beacon") that uses true red or yellow Hi-Viz -- this is probably designed this way specifically because the fading won't be as apparent when it's part of a pattern.

As mentioned above, boring old solid white helmets have been shown to be the most visible.
Yep, after many years of a couple Scorpion High Viz helmets in yellow and then a Nexx in Orange and lots of Olympia Hi-Viz gear, I'm done with all of it. It's great when its new and bright, but spend enough time in the sun, the helmets always fade and look like crap and the jackets get pale and attract major dirt that is impossible to get off. It's hard to keep hi-viz gear looking nice after just one year with moderate riding and by 2 years it usually looks well past worn.

I still have darker gear that is 5-10 years old and looks much better than my 1-3 year old Hi-viz gear.

I figure going forward if I want hi-viz, it will be one of those vests that are cheaper and easier to replace. Lots of companies make them now and they are pretty easy to throw on an attach. If they start looking grungy, its a lot cheaper to replace them.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #12
Tupperwolf
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 139
I bought a white GT-Air. I would have bought high-viz but, y'know. Not available. I don't think the flat black with a small high-viz stripe counts.
Tupperwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #13
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupperwolf View Post
I bought a white GT-Air. I would have bought high-viz but, y'know. Not available. I don't think the flat black with a small high-viz stripe counts.
There are a few guys near me that wear hi-viz helmets. I don't see them standing out at all other than in low light like at dusk. I notice contrast much more than solid, bright color. Dark helmet with a contrasting stripe or the reverse catches my eye much more. YMMV

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #14
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
So long as it's not made from polycarbonate you can paint your helmet any color or design you want.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:22 AM   #15
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,778
I wear a safety vest over my black jkt & pants with white helmet. You can easily add safety tape to any helmet and not pay for a high-viz color.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote