User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
zirconx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
How to seal the seams on my rain gear?

I have a set of FirstGear Rainmain pants and jacket that I really like. They are in excellent condition, but have begun to leak (15 years old). I've tried washing them with Nikwax Tech Wash and then treating with Nikwax TX Direct, but they still leak. I think it might be coming through the seams.

It would cost me over $150 to replace the suit, so if there is a chance I can revive it I would like to. So I'm thinking about sealing the seams. But there are several different types of seam sealers, and I've read that you should seal from the inside (of your tent, in most advice I read) so that it doesn't flake off on the outside. I'll have to treat the outside of the jacket because that's where the seams are.

Any suggestions? I don't want to use something that's just going to flake and peel off. The rainsuit gets crammed tightly into it's own bag, so that will probably cause the usual sealant to flake off quickly.
zirconx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
BootsandPants
Sprayer

Oddometer: 32
Seam grip is what you're looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/McNett-Seam-Gr.../dp/B004O4JG26

REI and other outdoors shops will stock it.

You're correct; turn the jacket and pants inside out and go over the seams on the inside with the seam grip.
When applying, don't be sparse, but don't be too liberal either; you want a nice even bead. Sometimes the tube will come with a brush cap applicator that works pretty well, or else just smooth it over with a steady finger.

If you're really worried about the longevity of the sealant, you can put some Tenacious Tape (made by the same company) over the Seam Grip bead. It's overkill, but you won't have ANY water leaking through those seams.

I have extensive experience with both products and can vouch for their effectiveness. Half of my backpacks and jackets are held together by seam grip and tenacious tape.
BootsandPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
zirconx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Thanks for the reply. To be clear, I only have seams on the outside, as far as I can tell. Yes there are probably seams on the inside too but I don't think that is the waterproof layer. The waterproof layer is on the outside I believe, so I would have to seal the seams on the outside of the jacket. So I'm not sure if that will work or if the sealer will quickly peel. I've never used seam sealer on anything before.

So would Seam Grip be the stuff I want to use on the outside of a jacket? Or will that wear off quickly? Maybe I will have to put Tenacious Tape over it...or just cough up the dough for a new rain suit.

zirconx screwed with this post 08-29-2014 at 01:47 PM
zirconx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 213
Seam grip is pretty flexible and tenacious stuff and should do the job. My personal preference is a similar product made by the same company. its McNett Sil-Net it's basically seam grip that's made to adhere to sil-nylon. I find it easier to use, just get a small brush with short bristles and have at it.

And yes because your jacket most likely has an inner liner of some sort you will probably have to seal the seams on the outside which will show.

One other thing it's pretty common for the waterproof breathable layer itself has worn out and if the water is coming through the fabric products like the Tech Wash will help but I doubt it's a long term satisfactory fix.
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
Bucket1960
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
Any suggestions?
Enjoy the wash
Old 08-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
The seam should have tape on the inside... Probably it has lifted off somewhere.

I would go the seam grip route, but undo the inner lining at a point to get to the seams on the inside.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote