Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #76
spacemanvt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
I just don't see how it can come through the zip AND the liner. That would involve so many holes. Snug down the neck and see what happens, before going through the trouble of warranty - maybe put a scarf on to totally seal off the neck to make sure the wind isn't playing tricks on you. With all my liners in, I'm in a cocoon in mine.
Sounds good, i will try that. I just figured the liner wasn't windproof that's why i still felt wind. But you could be right.

I will post back some results.
spacemanvt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #77
AKjitsu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanvt View Post
Sounds good, i will try that. I just figured the liner wasn't windproof that's why i still felt wind. But you could be right.

I will post back some results.
You might also tighten up the draw strings at the hem. That's another source of unwanted breeze.
AKjitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #78
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,747
Never ended up getting a new jacket last year.... Still thinking about the Sand 2, though now I'm also liking the Olympia MotoQuest as well as the pricier Poseidon (externally waterproof). I think venting would be more important to me than waterproofing, but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on the waterproofness of the Sand 2 without the liner in? I know it's not advertised as such (does 'PWR' count?), but would it keep me relatively dry on shorter trips in the rain where I'd be too lazy to put the liner in? If I know I'll be on the road for a while in the rain, I would add the liner.

What about thoughts / comparisons to the Poseidon or Motoquest? Seems like the Poseidon would be better as far as all-weather capability at the expense of venting(?), while the MotoQuest might rival the Sand 2 in venting. FWIW, I'm in N. NJ and will try and ride as long as there's no ice on the roads, so I'm looking for a 4-season jacket, but will use an electric liner in the cooler months.

I got a gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket.... help me out here!
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #79
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Never ended up getting a new jacket last year.... Still thinking about the Sand 2, though now I'm also liking the Olympia MotoQuest as well as the pricier Poseidon (externally waterproof). I think venting would be more important to me than waterproofing, but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on the waterproofness of the Sand 2 without the liner in? I know it's not advertised as such (does 'PWR' count?), but would it keep me relatively dry on shorter trips in the rain where I'd be too lazy to put the liner in? If I know I'll be on the road for a while in the rain, I would add the liner.

What about thoughts / comparisons to the Poseidon or Motoquest? Seems like the Poseidon would be better as far as all-weather capability at the expense of venting(?), while the MotoQuest might rival the Sand 2 in venting. FWIW, I'm in N. NJ and will try and ride as long as there's no ice on the roads, so I'm looking for a 4-season jacket, but will use an electric liner in the cooler months.

I got a gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket.... help me out here!
A light mist with no liner in for 5 minutes? Probably fine. A heavy rain for 5 minutes or even a light mist for more than 5 minutes? You'll be wet. I think that will be true for any jacket that doesn't have the waterproofing built in.

The Sand 2 and the Motoquest will fit very differently. I would get whichever fits your body type better. Above 90 the Motoquest will be better, but still not ideal - I think I would have one set for under 90 and one for above, the above one being full mesh.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #80
Lifes2short
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Walked in to the store thinking Sand2, a couple of hours later walked out with the Olympia Dakar Jacket and Motoquest pants. Of course I have yet to ride in them as we've been away on holidays since getting the new gear so I can't even comment on anything other than fit & feel.

We're planning on being in warmer climates after this spring for some time so I think this will work better for me. I think the key is to figure out what kind of riding in you're going to find yourself and go with something that will fit that bill. I'm not sure there is a 4 season set that's comfortable in both extremes and the wet stuff.
Lifes2short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #81
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,234
Dakar Fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifes2short View Post
Walked in to the store thinking Sand2, a couple of hours later walked out with the Olympia Dakar Jacket and Motoquest pants. Of course I have yet to ride in them as we've been away on holidays since getting the new gear so I can't even comment on anything other than fit & feel.

We're planning on being in warmer climates after this spring for some time so I think this will work better for me. I think the key is to figure out what kind of riding in you're going to find yourself and go with something that will fit that bill. I'm not sure there is a 4 season set that's comfortable in both extremes and the wet stuff.

Can you comment on your size and what size Dakar you bought? Difference in fit with only outer shell?

Thanks,

Phil
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:50 PM   #82
Lifes2short
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
Can you comment on your size and what size Dakar you bought? Difference in fit with only outer shell?

Thanks,

Phil
Sure, I'm 5'11", 180 and about a 40" chest. Tried on a MED initially, it fit but was snug, I could have probably gotten away with it if I was planning on using only the outer shell (but then I would have been looking at just a summer mesh instead). The LG fit much better (so much so that as soon as I put it on I knew it was the right jacket - it just fit really well), I have room for either a heavier base layer and or a couple of lighter layers even with both the liners in and don't feel like Michelin man. Without the liners it still fits quite well, I don't feel like I'm swimming in it like my Transition 2. It's very comfortable actually, the material is not heavy or crunchy feeling at all. I actually like it a lot, I looked at it online at one point but discounted it at the time.

I've actually been thinking quite a bit about about the guts of the jacket (thermal and waterproof liners). I went out for a ride a couple of days ago, temp was 3C (37F), I wore a short sleeved (150) merino shirt, a light weight fleece and the rain liner under the shell. I could feel some cold coming in around my belly, but I wasn't all that cold. I wouldn't have wanted to be out there all day but after about 30 min I was perfectly fine. With that said, I could have easily added my golite synthetic vest and been out there longer or a heated vest and gone all day.

Bought this for an RTW and my only initial concern was the cold weather aspect. I'm taking the shell, the rain liner (I'm still bringing my outer rain jacket) and my own base/thermal layers I can wear on or off the bike. Not planning on spending a lot of time in below freezing temps. The thermal liner that comes with this jacket is not a stand alone piece, the rain liner is, but I find it a bit on the short side as far as fit.

A little long winded and more info than you asked for, sorry.

Oh and I really didn't like the padding on this jacket at all, got a free upgrade to Rukka D3O all around so I'm a happy boy. I'll be swapping my knee armour in the pants as well.

Lifes2short screwed with this post 03-29-2014 at 11:58 PM
Lifes2short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #83
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 559
I'm on the fence right now. The Sand 2 is the direction I'm currently leaning, but still torn about my decision. The Badlands Pro is the next contender. Can't decide if weather proof on the outside is more important to me or not.

I do live in a climate where it rarely rains, and I don't make a habit of riding in the rain. But that doesn't mean I won't get caught in the rain from time to time, and I do hope to do long trips outside of my immediate area doing touring/adventure touring type riding.

I live in the Phoenix area and really want a jacket that has good venting that can also easily be closed up when needed. It might be asking too much, but I'd like a jacket that is as close to year round for my climate as possible. That means temps ranging from 40 to 120 degrees.

I'm also not sure if I will like dealing with removable liners or not. As you can see I'm pretty torn.

I do like the styling and features of the Sand 2, along with the price. I do wish it came with better body armor though. I like the styling and features of the Badlands Pro as well, don't like the price so much, but at least it has top of the line body armor included, including chest protection and kidney belt. I do question how comfortable it can be in extreme hot weather even with the good ventilation because of the GoreTex shell.

Searching around there is a lot more information in the forums on the Badlands Pro than there is on the Sand 2. Any advice or experience you can share will be greatly appreciated.

ben
Old 04-04-2014, 10:37 PM   #84
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
I wouldn't want a fixed Gore-Tex suit - I'd want to be able to remove the gore-tex on hot days when it isn't raining. If I were willing to spend more money than the Sand 2, I would get the Held Carese II jacket and Torno II pants (revzilla has them in the USA) and put a level 2 back protector in it.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #85
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
I'm on the fence right now. The Sand 2 is the direction I'm currently leaning, but still torn about my decision. The Badlands Pro is the next contender. Can't decide if weather proof on the outside is more important to me or not.

I do live in a climate where it rarely rains, and I don't make a habit of riding in the rain. But that doesn't mean I won't get caught in the rain from time to time, and I do hope to do long trips outside of my immediate area doing touring/adventure touring type riding.

I live in the Phoenix area and really want a jacket that has good venting that can also easily be closed up when needed. It might be asking too much, but I'd like a jacket that is as close to year round for my climate as possible. That means temps ranging from 40 to 120 degrees.

I'm also not sure if I will like dealing with removable liners or not. As you can see I'm pretty torn.

I do like the styling and features of the Sand 2, along with the price. I do wish it came with better body armor though. I like the styling and features of the Badlands Pro as well, don't like the price so much, but at least it has top of the line body armor included, including chest protection and kidney belt. I do question how comfortable it can be in extreme hot weather even with the good ventilation because of the GoreTex shell.

Searching around there is a lot more information in the forums on the Badlands Pro than there is on the Sand 2. Any advice or experience you can share will be greatly appreciated.

ben
Do you plan on commuting? I have the Badlands as well as jackets using liners, and really the liner thing is only a pain in the ass when I really need those 2-3 minutes to get to work on time.

Since the collar on the Badlands is poorly designed, it's real easy for water to get in unless you have some sort of waterproof neck tube going over the outside. I've also gotten lots of little random dabbles of wetness through the vents in a heavy rain so if I REALLY want to stay dry, I put on my rain jacket anyway.

If I wasn't a gear addict and was limited to one jacket, I'd go for the liner approach. A layered approach is flexible, rain jackets are fairly cheap, and fabric repairs fairly simple - fixing a gore-tex suit for micro-punctures after a small off is a huge pain.

I haven't had my rain jackets fail me, but I have had my vented jackets leak through random places at the most inconvenient times because I subjected them to the wear and tear of my daily commute.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:03 PM   #86
armourbl
Adventure Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji View Post
Do you plan on commuting? I have the Badlands as well as jackets using liners, and really the liner thing is only a pain in the ass when I really need those 2-3 minutes to get to work on time.

Since the collar on the Badlands is poorly designed, it's real easy for water to get in unless you have some sort of waterproof neck tube going over the outside. I've also gotten lots of little random dabbles of wetness through the vents in a heavy rain so if I REALLY want to stay dry, I put on my rain jacket anyway.

If I wasn't a gear addict and was limited to one jacket, I'd go for the liner approach. A layered approach is flexible, rain jackets are fairly cheap, and fabric repairs fairly simple - fixing a gore-tex suit for micro-punctures after a small off is a huge pain.

I haven't had my rain jackets fail me, but I have had my vented jackets leak through random places at the most inconvenient times because I subjected them to the wear and tear of my daily commute.
Great feedback. I really appreciate it. I will commute from time to time. Unfortunately my attire requirements for most days at work make riding a bit impractical. Plus I have an hour drive each way. So riding to work is usually on casual Fridays. I don't have to worry so much about staying dry on the way to work since if I see that it is raining I will just drive the cage instead. And I don't mind getting wet on the way home if I'm caught without my rain gear unexpectedly. I'd be more concerned about planned trips and my comfort throughout the trip.

I see your point about putting an outer rain gear layer on for real rain situations. Already have a good rain outer layer in fact, just rarely gets used as my current jacket has a weather proof outer shell. It is fine for cool to cold situations, but once I remove the outer shell the integrity of the jacket starts to suffer tremendously. It is a Teknic model I got about 5 years ago. Served me well for the most part, but was impossible to use in the summer as there is no venting with the shell in place. The inner mesh jacket flows tons of air, but just doesn't have enough structure to it to inspire confidence about protection.

I know I want something new before the worst part of summer arrives here. Right now, morning temps can be quite cool (50's and 60's) with afternoons that are warm to hot (80's and 90's, sometimes 100's). By summer the mornings will be in the 90's before the sun even comes up and afternoons will be scorching hot -- but hey, its a dry heat...

I guess I should say that whatever my final choice, if it doesn't end up serving me well enough in the summer for commuting duties and other local rides I'll probably end up getting the new Klim Induction jacket that is releasing in May/June and use it as my go to summer jacket.

ben
Old 04-05-2014, 06:49 AM   #87
spacemanvt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I don't have any exp with klim but the sand 2 has tons of venting. Im sure it would be better for that Arizona climate. You would be too hot in gore Tex

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #88
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
The klim stuff is a whole new level. I have a sand 2 suit now. The venting is amazing. When it's worn out I'm getting a klim set up.

The sand 2 is very euro cut in the seat. For me the pants are always tight with the liners in.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #89
armourbl
Adventure Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
The klim stuff is a whole new level. I have a sand 2 suit now. The venting is amazing. When it's worn out I'm getting a klim set up.

The sand 2 is very euro cut in the seat. For me the pants are always tight with the liners in.
Does this mean you haven't been happy with the Sand 2? When you say tight in the waist, are you bigger around the gut than the chest?

I'm 6'1", 195 pounds, 42-44" chest, 34-36" waist. My arms are long and I wear a 17.5" neck dress shirt.

The guy in the Revzilla video is very close to my build and it looks like it fits him well.

ben
Old 04-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #90
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
Does this mean you haven't been happy with the Sand 2? When you say tight in the waist, are you bigger around the gut than the chest?

I'm 6'1", 195 pounds, 42-44" chest, 34-36" waist. My arms are long and I wear a 17.5" neck dress shirt.

The guy in the Revzilla video is very close to my build and it looks like it fits him well.

ben

No I'm very happy with it. The klim stuff if just a level up. It's nice to not have to stop and throw In the rain liner. The klim gear comes with high end back and chest pads. The sand does not.

I'm 6,2 almost 6,3 220. 44 chest. I have an xl jacket and xl long pants. Pants are fine on the waist just tight in the butt and upper legs with both liners in. Liners out its fine.

I wear a road race chest armor under my jacket.

If you can afford the badlands pro I would get it. My buddy loves his.

If you get the sand though you will be very happy with how it vents air.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote