Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 10:28 AM   #91
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 290
I just ordered the Sand 2 jacket/pants. I'm 6'3 "european" with W34 L36 jeans size and the XL jacket + L-XL pants fit well.

Initially I wanted a rain-proof outer shell and nearly went for the Poseidon, but the Sand2 just seemed to be more bang for the buck. The Sand 2 is rain-proof, but on the inner shell, so for real all-day rain I will keep on using my rain gear.

For the price difference to the Poseidon I was able to get a real summer jacket (Rev'it Airwave), the challenger cooling insert, boots, gloves and a better back protector.
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #92
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
If you can afford the badlands pro I would get it. My buddy loves his.
Do you know if he would still love it if he lived in Phoenix instead of Sacramento (honest question)? I would think that built in Gore-Tex would cut out all wind and hurt evaporative cooling.

And as long as people are discussing sizing, I wear an L jacket and L-long pants. I like the fit more than anything else I tried on. I'm 6'2" 185lbs, I wear 35" waist pants, 16-36 shirts, and am a 42L suit jacket (though almost a 41).
Old 04-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #93
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
Do you know if he would still love it if he lived in Phoenix instead of Sacramento (honest question)? I would think that built in Gore-Tex would cut out all wind and hurt evaporative cooling.

And as long as people are discussing sizing, I wear an L jacket and L-long pants. I like the fit more than anything else I tried on. I'm 6'2" 185lbs, I wear 35" waist pants, 16-36 shirts, and am a 42L suit jacket (though almost a 41).
Actually the goretex is great for evaporative cooling. I live in Phoenix and ride all year long, everyday. I wet my LD Comfort sleeves and open only the Badlands wrist vents and I remain very cool for my 45 minute commute. Any trips longer than that I use LD comfort top and bottoms and get cooled even more. I have several jackets as I've learned that to commute comfortably in Phoenix and I use that word lightly , one needs 2 or three jackets. If I had to have just one jacket for yearround use in Phoenix, I'd get a Rallye 3 or Sand 2 jacket.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #94
SpottheDogg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I tried on Sand 2 jacket/pants today and I was very impressed, these are now very high on my list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
1990 Honda VTR250 race bike
1974 Honda CB360 Café Racer
SpottheDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #95
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 568
Good thread. Having both BMW and Rev-it gear, I always reach for the Rev-it when I go riding.

I have had the original Sand for several years now, ridden across the Continent twice, off road through Utah and Colorado both directions. By far, the most comfortable and versatile jacket and pant combo.

The BMW Rallye 3 pro is no slouch and I would say that the build quality and armor are better but the suit is heavier, hotter and just does not fit as well. Therefore it sits in the closet providing no protection whatsoever. I plan on selling it and upgrading my Sand to the Sand 2.

The only thing I wish manufacturers would do is offer a la carte pricing on things like liners. I hate liners. What is the point of getting undressed in a downpour to put in a liner? Much easier to just throw on a one piece rainsuit and be on your way 30 seconds later. I have had jackets with outer waterproofing similar to Klim or some of the Rev-it GTX stuff but found them to be hot, heavy and did not vent as well.

I have no doubt that there are better options out there for protection but even they are a compromise and for me, the Rev-it Sand is that sweet spot between adequate protection and all day, all weather comfort.

Now if they could just simplify the sizing!
Old 06-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #96
skeelo221
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I just got the Sand 2 jacket in size S (I'm 5'7", 150-155 lbs with a std build for a "short guy"). The sizing is very "American", I originally tried on a size M but the small fits much better.

I have not yet removed the tags as I love the jacket except for the collar height...it's a bit too high for me and rubs on my helmet..not a huge deal but is annoying when I sit on my bike and look from side to side it has that annoying noise of it dragging on the jacket. Maybe I wouldn't notice it at speed but sitting in my garage it's annoying.

Does anyone know of a similar jacket with a shorter collar? I know it's nice to have the collar in bad weather, but still.

I tried on the Alpinestars Megaton as well which seems like an amazing jacket for the money. But again, the collar was a bit too high.

Edit: So I tried on the jacket again this time using ear plugs under my helmet, which I always wear while riding. I can't hear any noise from the jacket rubbing on my helmet now. I rode into work with the jacket, and didn't wear ear plugs to see if it would be bad and again I couldn't notice it with the noise of the bike and wind noise. So...collar height not an issue for me anymore so I think I'm keeping the jacket -- I really like everything else about it.

skeelo221 screwed with this post 06-02-2014 at 04:25 PM
skeelo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:06 AM   #97
somejuan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I took delivery of the Sand 2 (XL jacket and XXL trousers) internet purchase out of Germany a couple of weeks ago to replace a set of Heine Gericke (HG) that got munted in a bit of an off I had a recently. I had the choice ditch or hood ornament on a logging truck (on my side of the road) ...I took the ditch and lost a bit of skin once the HG had ground away :-)

I've worn the Sand 2 in temperatures ranging from 20 deg C to -1.5 deg C and only minimal rain thus far (winter hasn't kicked in for us yet) but I have to say so far the ensemble fits well and certainly appears to have the functionality to suit the temperate seasons we get down here.

Only one thing though the jacket didn't come with any back armour - so until I source some the old HG armour will have to do.
somejuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:11 AM   #98
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Something that I just discovered after wearing it for a year, and my friend hadn't discovered in his yet, so it might be news to people - once on the bike, if you pull up on that layer of fabric above the knee, wind will keep it open and you will get a LOT more ventilation in the pants.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #99
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,786
Quote:
Something that I just discovered after wearing it for a year, and my friend hadn't discovered in his yet, so it might be news to people - once on the bike, if you pull up on that layer of fabric above the knee, wind will keep it open and you will get a LOT more ventilation in the pants.
Good to know!

After looking at them for over a year, and then considering the Poseidon (which I decided was just too much $$$), I've finally caved and ordered the Sand 2 pants (should be here today), and will get the jacket this weekend.

For the current owners - when the jacket does get wet, does it retain a lot of water and get heavy? I read one report that it does, but just the one. Just wondering if I should try and treat the suit w/ some Nikwax TX.Direct or something similar, or plan to carry a rain suit when it looks like heavy rain.

I was also wondering if the rain liner from the pants would fit the Tornado pants? It would be nice to also have a pair of matching mesh pants with the option of a waterproof non-insulated liner for those really hot summer days. Anyone know?
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #100
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Anyone have the Sand 2 Pants in either an XL or XL-S? Could you measure the inseam from the X stitch in the crotch to the hem and let me know what you're measuring?

I had to return the first pair I received due to a defect, and the second pair seem longer. I ordered the XL-S, but the inseam on the second pair seems to be 33", which is longer than the 'Standard' inseam for the XL according to the size charts.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #101
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

FYI to all you Sand 2 pant wearers - if you lift up on the piece of fabric that is just above the knee once you're on the bike, the wind will keep it open and you will get a LOT more airflow to the pants.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #102
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

My Sand 2 jacket came in today. Had to go w/ a XXL, which is a size larger than I would normally wear, but during my final fit check I decided the XL was cutting into my shoulders near the collarbone a bit much when I moved my arms in certain ways. The XXL fits pretty well, though the sleeves could be just a tad shorter. Went for a short ride around the neighborhood to get a feel for it. I love how light it feels, and the arm vents look like they'll work really well. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that I could fold the collar down on the back of the neck and it would lay flat if you leave the jacket unzipped from the top ~8" or so. I never noticed this when trying the jacket on in the past.

I do have a couple of nitpicks:

1) Some snaps or velco to hold the collar down might still be nice.

2) The horizontal vent / pocket on the back should have some way to hold the velcro open so it doesn't re-close.

3) I liked the red accent on the loops to connect the neck brace as shown in photos, but on the one I received (in blue/silver), they're black.

4) A small pocket on the left arm would've been cool to keep a spare key, Exxon speed pass, or credit card.

Overall, I think I'm going to like this jacket and it will become my go-to jacket in most conditions I ride in.

Now, a question - is there a particular brand/size hydration bladder that fits the pocket best?
Old 06-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #103
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
2) The horizontal vent / pocket on the back should have some way to hold the velcro open so it doesn't re-close.

Now, a question - is there a particular brand/size hydration bladder that fits the pocket best?
I don't think that's intended as a vent, just as a pocket for the bladder. This is the bladder you're looking for, but it's actually $20 cheaper to build the same exact bladder kit from USWE parts which you can also get from Revzilla http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...drabag-bladder
Old 06-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #104
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't think that's intended as a vent, just as a pocket for the bladder. This is the bladder you're looking for, but it's actually $20 cheaper to build the same exact bladder kit from USWE parts which you can also get from Revzilla http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...drabag-bladder
Thanks, but $70? And why would I need 5 bladders?

The pocket looks like it will hold a larger bladder than 1/2L. Maybe I'll just hit the camping stores and see what I can find.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #105
MaxSeven
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Thanks, but $70? And why would I need 5 bladders?

The pocket looks like it will hold a larger bladder than 1/2L. Maybe I'll just hit the camping stores and see what I can find.
One in the jacket and four in the pannier?
MaxSeven is offline   Reply With Quote