Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #106
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
My Sand 2 jacket came in today. Had to go w/ a XXL, which is a size larger than I would normally wear, but during my final fit check I decided the XL was cutting into my shoulders near the collarbone a bit much when I moved my arms in certain ways. The XXL fits pretty well, though the sleeves could be just a tad shorter. Went for a short ride around the neighborhood to get a feel for it. I love how light it feels, and the arm vents look like they'll work really well. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that I could fold the collar down on the back of the neck and it would lay flat if you leave the jacket unzipped from the top ~8" or so. I never noticed this when trying the jacket on in the past.

I do have a couple of nitpicks:

1) Some snaps or velco to hold the collar down might still be nice.

2) The horizontal vent / pocket on the back should have some way to hold the velcro open so it doesn't re-close.

3) I liked the red accent on the loops to connect the neck brace as shown in photos, but on the one I received (in blue/silver), they're black.

4) A small pocket on the left arm would've been cool to keep a spare key, Exxon speed pass, or credit card.

Overall, I think I'm going to like this jacket and it will become my go-to jacket in most conditions I ride in.

Now, a question - is there a particular brand/size hydration bladder that fits the pocket best?

Dont even bother with the hydro pocket. Its worthless.
Parx400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:48 AM   #107
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
Dont even bother with the hydro pocket. Its worthless.
Why do you say that? Mine seems fine.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #108
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks, but $70? And why would I need 5 bladders?
Like I said, if you piece together the same exact parts of that kit (they're made by USWE, Revzilla sells them) it' $50 instead of $70, so do it that way. 5 bladders because you need to replace them periodically or they get funky.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #109
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
Why do you say that? Mine seems fine.
A full Bladder pulls the jacket back and limits mobility.
Parx400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #110
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Like I said, if you piece together the same exact parts of that kit (they're made by USWE, Revzilla sells them) it' $50 instead of $70, so do it that way. 5 bladders because you need to replace them periodically or they get funky.
Ok, found these @ Revzilla

Bladder w/ tube ($20) - http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/u...dration-system
Seems to be everything you need. 1/2 L seems a bit small for the pocket, though... Is this an 'exact fit'?

5 Refill bladders ($20) - http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/u...efill-bladders

Will the larger 1.2L bladder fit? http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/u...dration-system

A cheap (i.e., not Camelback) bladder in the 1-2L range should be less than $20, though...
Ex. http://www.amazon.com/High-Sierra-Pa...ration+bladder

Parx400 - Which bladder were you using that you feel pulled on the jacket? I'm probably not looking for more than 2L max, and probably more like 1-1.5, as I won't be riding in the desert or very far from a 7-11.
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #111
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

My first impressions with the Sand 2 Jacket

I finally got my Sand 2 jacket last week and got to do some riding with it over the weekend.

Saturday, I did ~100 mile on secondary roads (45-60mph) to see some friends. It was almost perfect riding weather in low-mid 70's temps, all liners out, and the vents mostly open and the jacket was perfect. At one point, it started to cloud up, and I was under some tree cover and cooling off, so I zipped up the arm vents w/o even stopping and continued on. On the way home after dark, I took the interstate, and the temps had probably dropped into the high 50's. I did put the wind/waterproof liner in before I left, buttoned it up, and zipped up all the vents. I wasn't uncomfortable with just a T-shirt on under the jacket for the hour and a half ride, but I was glad it wasn't any cooler. I think this is OK, though, as if it was any cooler out I'd probably be wearing something more substantial than just a T-shirt underneath anyway, and/or have the thermal liner with me as well.

Sunday, I did a little more local riding around the city, and it was warmer (low 80's) with relatively low humidity. My first stretch was with the jacket zipped and vents open, liners out, and it was OK. As it warmed up and I slowed down on local streets, I did start to feel a bit warmer, especially around my torso where I had the side straps relatively snug. I'm going to experiment and see if loosening them results in a little more airflow low in the jacket. Later in the afternoon, I tried leaving the collar open, but the tab would flap against my helmet, so I ended up snapping it while leaving the zipper open from the top ~12". In this config, it was definitely tolerable.

One small issue I had was that because the XL was digging in under my arms a bit I went to the XXL, but now the sleeves are just a bit too long. With the cuffs tucked into the gauntlets of my gloves (I prefer this when it's not raining), the material bunches up a bit and then digs into the back of my hand where it meets my wrist. I'll have to try a couple of different configurations here, or maybe the material will soften up a bit and not be an issue.

FWIW, I had the jacket paired with the Airwave pants while waiting on the Sand 2 pants. I really liked the Velcro system on the cuffs - you can adjust them once to your boots and then just use the zippers for easy on / off. They never got too cool on my ride home Saturday night (got a little worried as I was getting on the road, and was tempted to put my rain pants on over them). But, the tighter mesh on these definitely doesn't flow as much air as my HT Air Overpants, and I really can't see wearing them in temps much higher than the 80's, especially if I know I may be standing or sitting around in them. Also, putting a wallet in the front pocket seems to tighten up the pants to the point they're difficult to bend or kneel down in. I have a pair of the Sand pants on backorder, but can't see them being any cooler than these either, but we'll see, though I expect them to be much warmer with the liners and all. BTW, when I stopped by to see my family, my grandmother commented that the Airwave pants were very nice, but my mom referred to them as 'sissy pants' and said that I would probably get beat up if I happened across any 'real bikers'....

Oh, btw, I tried a couple of bladders in the jacket in a camping store. The pocket seems to fit those that are ~6.5-7" wide OK, and there appears to be at least 12" of depth there, so I ordered up the 1.2L USWE bladder from Revzilla. Figured for $20 it was worth the shot. If that ends up not fitting, I guess I'll just get the .5L bottles...

Edit - I should note that I was only wearing cotton T-shirts during the weekend above. Usually, once it starts getting into the 80's, I'll switch to a wicking microfiber shirt.

lmychajluk screwed with this post 06-17-2014 at 09:39 AM
Old 06-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #112
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Let us know if it fits, because if it does I can always just change to the larger bladder, and would love to be able to do so.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #113
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,155
Quote:
Anyone have the Sand 2 Pants in either an XL or XL-S? Could you measure the inseam from the X stitch in the crotch to the hem and let me know what you're measuring?

I had to return the first pair I received due to a defect, and the second pair seem longer. I ordered the XL-S, but the inseam on the second pair seems to be 33", which is longer than the 'Standard' inseam for the XL according to the size charts.
I have XL pants and they measure 33".
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #114
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
I have XL pants and they measure 33".
Thanks. MotorCycleGear.com / Revit are sending me a pair that are marked as XL they say measure out to match the XL-Short inseam, which, if that's the case, should be fine.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #115
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Let us know if it fits, because if it does I can always just change to the larger bladder, and would love to be able to do so.
Got the large (1.2L) bladder today. It seems to fit just fine. I also bought the 45-degree bite valve, thinking that the bladder came with the straight one, but it had the 45-degree one. What wasn't included was some type of clip to hook to the little loop on the collar. I'll have to rig something up, but I want it to be break away so as to not tear the loop on the jacket.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #116
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Got the large (1.2L) bladder today. It seems to fit just fine. I also bought the 45-degree bite valve, thinking that the bladder came with the straight one, but it had the 45-degree one. What wasn't included was some type of clip to hook to the little loop on the collar. I'll have to rig something up, but I want it to be break away so as to not tear the loop on the jacket.
It's not break away, but a very skinny zip tie works perfectly.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:40 PM   #117
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Finally got the Moveo Neck Brace I ordered 2 weeks ago. Anyone know how this is supposed to attach to the Sand 2 jacket? I'm using the RevIt strap kit (5 straps). If I use the longer ones in front, the shorter ones don't reach on the back (to the loops at the top of the vents on the flank?). It appears as if the loop holes on the brace itself are too far up on the shoulders(?). Also, I'm not seeing a loop to connect the 5th strap to the center back of the jacket?
Old 06-26-2014, 01:36 AM   #118
spacemanvt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Does anyone have the Sand 2 pants? I have the jacket and the Revit Enterprise pants (cheaper). they are ok but crush my b*lls.

any thoughts on the pants?
spacemanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:52 AM   #119
MaxSeven
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanvt View Post
Does anyone have the Sand 2 pants? I have the jacket and the Revit Enterprise pants (cheaper). they are ok but crush my b*lls.

any thoughts on the pants?
I tried the Sand 2 Pants on at my local BMW dealer and they are nice, albeit a bit bulky with the liner in. Seemed to fit nicely and have good adjustability in the waist and cuffs. I'm 6'2" 195lbs and size Large was good for me. The pants are roomy through the legs, to accommodate the liner, and I assume to prevent any binding at the knees and to allow easy fitment over boots. I haven't bought the suit (yet), but I'm considering it vs the BMW Rallye Pro suit.

For reference, I have the Airwave jacket and pants, which I love (both size Large) and they fit very well. The waist line (rise) rests on the belly-button, but one can move them down if needed. Again, the pants are rather roomy through the legs, cuff and could easily be used as an over-pant. I suppose it all depends on the anatomy of one's legs, and if you have overly large thighs and calves your results could be different. No problem with the ball bags here.
MaxSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:57 AM   #120
spacemanvt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSeven View Post
I tried the Sand 2 Pants on at my local BMW dealer and they are nice, albeit a bit bulky with the liner in. Seemed to fit nicely and have good adjustability in the waist and cuffs. I'm 6'2" 195lbs and size Large was good for me. The pants are roomy through the legs, to accommodate the liner, and I assume to prevent any binding at the knees and to allow easy fitment over boots. I haven't bought the suit (yet), but I'm considering it vs the BMW Rallye Pro suit.

For reference, I have the Airwave jacket and pants, which I love (both size Large) and they fit very well. The waist line (rise) rests on the belly-button, but one can move them down if needed. Again, the pants are rather roomy through the legs, cuff and could easily be used as an over-pant. I suppose it all depends on the anatomy of one's legs, and if you have overly large thighs and calves your results could be different. No problem with the ball bags here.
Sounds good thanks, I found the same as far as sizing. I wonder how these will do in the summer heat. Anyone have any exp with the Sand 2 pants without any liners in > 80 heat?
spacemanvt is offline   Reply With Quote