Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #121
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanvt View Post
Sounds good thanks, I found the same as far as sizing. I wonder how these will do in the summer heat. Anyone have any exp with the Sand 2 pants without any liners in > 80 heat?
Yes. To me, they're no warmer than a pair of jeans (no liners in, obviously). They do have some venting, but the effectiveness will depend a lot on your posture and the aerodynamics of your bike. It didn't seem to do much on my K1200GT but did much better on the dirt bike.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #122
spacemanvt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
I have to say that I find the Sand 2 Jacket too warm in over 75 degrees weather when not going at highway speeds. In the city = sweat
Old 07-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #123
skeelo221
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
I have to say that I find the Sand 2 Jacket too warm in over 75 degrees weather when not going at highway speeds. In the city = sweat
Yes...it's a jacket.

I just got back from a 2,800 mile road trip where I was in the saddle for 10 days. I experienced rain, a few hours at high elevation at 45 deg, and 2 days of 108 deg scorching heat (and everything in between).

I am impressed with the jacket and was never too uncomfortable due to the versatility and effectiveness of the venting. I am running the CE-2 back protector which can get a little hot on your back on extremely hot days. The only other small negative is the shoulder armor tends to get twisted up. About 30% of the time putting the jacket on I have to fiddle with the shoulder armor to get it back where it should be.
skeelo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:05 PM   #124
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Depends on where you are and who you are. I am in central California and the Sand II is comfortable up to 100 degrees.

But I used to bicycle in this sort of weather, so it does not impact me as much.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #125
MaxSeven
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgconner View Post
Depends on where you are and who you are. I am in central California and the Sand II is comfortable up to 100 degrees.

But I used to bicycle in this sort of weather, so it does not impact me as much.
I concur. There are a great many people who recoil in horror at the prospect of even slightly sweating, which I think is weird, because sweat cools one down.

I can't imagine the Sand 2 set being overly insulating with the liners out.
MaxSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #126
spacemanvt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
I know I still think it's a great jacket but it's definitely not as good as mesh....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #127
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSeven View Post
I concur. There are a great many people who recoil in horror at the prospect of even slightly sweating, which I think is weird, because sweat cools one down.

I can't imagine the Sand 2 set being overly insulating with the liners out.
And you can get the whole thing wet, or you can put ice in the pockets to stay cool.

Makes a bit of a mess... but works.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:50 AM   #128
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
I know I still think it's a great jacket but it's definitely not as good as mesh....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
A mesh jacket is a world away in terms of staying cool in a humid environment or any environment below 96F, but I just got back from a trip around the country (as cold as 28F and as hot as 116F) in my Sand 2, and I know above 96F in the desert I was closing all the vents to keep the air out.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #129
MaxSeven
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
A mesh jacket is a world away in terms of staying cool in a humid environment or any environment below 96F, but I just got back from a trip around the country (as cold as 28F and as hot as 116F) in my Sand 2, and I know above 96F in the desert I was closing all the vents to keep the air out.
You see I've been through the desert on a horse with no name
It felt good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain
La, la ...
MaxSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:50 PM   #130
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Revzilla lists this jacket as also using "PWR|wax 1200D, Lorica". does anyone know anything about this material? I see everyone talking abotu the 600d poly but no one mentions the 1200 Lorica on she forearms and elbows. However it would be a lot better if it appeared on the shoulders and maybe parts of the back too. Just saying its not all 600d poly.

BaronVonDarrin screwed with this post 08-26-2014 at 07:58 PM
BaronVonDarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #131
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
Revzilla lists this jacket as also using "PWR|wax 1200D, Lorica". does anyone know anything about this material? I see everyone talking abotu the 600d poly but no one mentions the 1200 Lorica on she forearms and elbows. However it would be a lot better if it appeared on the shoulders and maybe parts of the back too. Just saying its not all 600d poly.
I can tell you the 1200 is goooood stuff.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #132
skeelo221
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I can tell you Rev-It! isn't afraid to list what material goes where. See.
Attached Images

skeelo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:04 AM   #133
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 224
Rev-It Sand 2 anyone?

Inspired by the Touratech Companero, I tried the following : Rev'it Airwave Mesh jacket with the necessary armor and on top the Rev'it Sand 2 for colder/wet conditions without the thermal liner and armor. It worked great on a trip through Southern France in May with temps between 40 and 90 F.

Womble_CH screwed with this post 08-28-2014 at 05:00 AM Reason: temp correction
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #134
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble_CH View Post
Inspired by the Touratech Companero, I tried the following : Rev'it Airwave Mesh jacket with the necessary armor and on top the Rev'it Sand 2 for colder/wet conditions without the thermal liner and armor. It worked great on a trip through Southern France in May with temps between 40 and 90 F.
That seems like overkill.

The Sand 2 vents well (if you're moving, of course); it's usable for me up to about 95 degrees in the humidity here before it's just too hot. If it's raining, I'm more likely to throw a basic rain shell (and I have one sized a bit large specifically for this purpose) over top of my jacket than to use the waterproof liner in the Sand 2.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #135
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,605
Got a Sand 2 outfit back in June. So far, after a few thousand miles this summer, I'm really liking the setup. Haven't yet been caught in any significant rain with this gear, so I haven't had the liners in at all (except one cool night back in June), so this is all with no liners so far...

The jacket vents well, and is comfortable to wear up to 90 or so (hasn't been much warmer here this summer) as long as you're moving. The back pad does seem to limit the amount of air circulating around the back, though, and I'll sweat there. The 1.2L hydration bladder from USWE fits in the back pocket and isn't heavy enough to drag the jacket down, but the newer versions of the jacket don't have the loop on the shoulder to hold the tube. I used a piece of Velcro to attach it to the Moveo neck brace, which I also got. The Moveo is nice, but I wish there was another pair of attachment points on the shoulders of the jacket for the brace (the brace has a pair of loops here). It's OK once on, but tends to flop around when putting the jacket on or taking it off, and considering one of the selling points was that you can leave the brace attached to the jacket, somewhat of a design faux pas, if you ask me. When wearing the jacket, I don't trust the snaps on the cuffs to hold on their own in a fall, so I'll leave the arm vents open and about an inch of zipper secured at the bottom just above the cuff.

The Sand 2 pants are very comfortable, and also not too bad up to around 90. I also had a pair of the Airwave Pants, and didn't think they were much cooler. I since traded the Airwaves for a pair of Poseidon pants, thinking I wouldn't have to put liners in while on the road on hot days when it looked like it may rain. The material on the Poseidon pants is definitely heavier in general, and not quite as cool as the Sand 2s, but close. Even though the Poseidon pants seems to have bigger / better vents than the Sand 2, the Sand 2 pants do seem to vent better, especially if you stand up on the bike at speed or swing your knees out from the bike for a bit. So, they're close in performance in warm weather, IMO, though I'm still debating if I want to keep both pairs of pants. I have a feeling the Sand 2s will be significantly cooler in extreme temps (95+). I also like the cargo pockets on the Sand 2 pants, which don't exist on the Poseidons.

Other than that, the only thing I can say is that you do occasionally get the astronaut comments, for better or worse...
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote