User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 04:19 AM   #1
Ququle OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
About KTM950 | 990 Adventure R Suspension Kit

I am allowed to write for the first time.
Since English is not good, let me apologize ahead and write that confusing.

We ride 990Adventure of model year 2012, "KTM 950 | 990 Adventure R Suspension Kit (KTM Part Number: 60112950033)" We want installed.

However, because you have stated that there is a defect in the work if you have attached to the vehicle specification ABS, for is whether such things can be avoided, such as disabling electrical ABS it is worrisome.

Such precedent that made the similar custom, would not you tell me Did you know?

I'm sorry if the topic is not appropriate to write

Ququle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
GrenDesb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
They specify that the kit should not be installed on ABS model for liability issue, because no bike was homologated with that suspension and ABS and they want to protect themselves from lawsuit.

I think there is no problem installing this suspension on an ABS bike, I'm sure some people did it.

Sme people also disable the ABS without problem.
GrenDesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Ququle OP
n00b

I appreciate the quick response!

And it is the answer like exactly what I was looking for.

We know that there are people that I installed is encouraging.
Because it seems to be not necessarily a fatal problem occurs.

Really few people who are riding the Adventure, in my country I do not even like information.
Is not itself seem that even in dealing with that part distributor in Japan, I was in trouble.

Thank you very much!!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,023
Thumb Nice Bike

To have a KTM Adventure in Japan would make you very lucky as well as a skilled rider!

In the USA there are no displacement restrictions on motorcycle licensing or mandatory motorcycle training- if you want to & can afford it, you could buy a 1400cc 185bhp 200mph/320kph sportbike for your first motorcycle...
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,555
would this kit raise a 210mm non-S 2005.5 ADV to 265mm?

edit: okay, I guess the "55mm" means this:)

Sumi screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 04:08 AM
Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
Ququle OP
n00b

to geometrician

Thank you for your comment!
However, I am not a skilled rider!

In Japan, more than 400cc motorcycle emissions will not be able to ride and certainly do not take a special license as you say.

In recent years, can now be very easy to get a license to ride a big motorcycle though.
If you pay some money even. lol
Old 02-04-2013, 01:05 AM   #7
Ququle OP
n00b

to Sumi

I'm sorry!
I am not home may not have been able to understand correctly what you are saying.

If non-S ADV 2005 model year, I guess probably can be installed without any problem.

The reason why that I want to installing this kit, there is one of the reasons why an improvement in running performance off-road, the higher the higher the body by lengthening the suspension, become cool so it is a big reason the way!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
mixermsk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I thought about installing this kit on my 990 Adv `11 ABS. I suspect that the brake hoses / cables to the sensors are not long enough for such suspension and in this regard, the description says that this kit is not compatible with ABS-version. Or am I wrong?

Does anyone have any experience installing this kit on ABS-version?
mixermsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
KTM Canada confirmed me at the time (early this year when I couldn't find an R and was considering a standard 990 plus this kit but then I found a brand new R) that the non-ABS designation is a legality only because they never homologated this kit for bikes equipped with ABS. They also confirmed that there is no technical limitation of this kit on an ABS equipped bike - no issues with cables or hoses, etc.

I'm pretty sure that with a quick scan of a parts fiche, you will discover that the brake lines are the same for standard and "R" bikes - obviously you won't be able to compare sensor wiring part numbers since the "R" does not have ABS but there are other 990 models of similar height that did have ABS (Dakar, 990S, etc???)

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #10
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
KTM Canada confirmed me at the time (early this year when I couldn't find an R and was considering a standard 990 plus this kit but then I found a brand new R) that the non-ABS designation is a legality only because they never homologated this kit for bikes equipped with ABS. They also confirmed that there is no technical limitation of this kit on an ABS equipped bike - no issues with cables or hoses, etc.

I'm pretty sure that with a quick scan of a parts fiche, you will discover that the brake lines are the same for standard and "R" bikes - obviously you won't be able to compare sensor wiring part numbers since the "R" does not have ABS but there are other 990 models of similar height that did have ABS (Dakar, 990S, etc???)
Sorry dont think you are correct, I dont think that any of the "tall" bikes had ABS, I am sure that the brake lines would not not be long enough at full extension of the suspension travel.
If keeping ABS with the "tall" kit I think you would have to replace the pipe that runs from the ABS pump up under the lower yoke and then splits to the two calipers.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #11
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
Sorry dont think you are correct, I dont think that any of the "tall" bikes had ABS, I am sure that the brake lines would not not be long enough at full extension of the suspension travel.
If keeping ABS with the "tall" kit I think you would have to replace the pipe that runs from the ABS pump up under the lower yoke and then splits to the two calipers.
That could be, I wasn't sure about any of the tall bikes having ABS but are their brake lines the same as the standard height bikes and...:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=865215&page=2

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #12
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Nope.

Brake lines fit fine.

On what experience do you base your statement?

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #13
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,568
When we were experimenting with a high fender kit that was compatible with the ABS we were able to have new lines made up, so the issue of the brake lines is a moot point, any good shop will be able to produce three lines, one that goes from the pump output to the front of the bike, then two that run from the distribution block to each caliper, since you are running the low fender this is an easy modification to make to the bike.

The sensor wires I can not comment on, since you have the bike raise it off the ground and see how much slack is left in the wire at full extension you know how much more length you adding to the forks so do the math and see if you have that much slack available to you in the wire.

common sense on that one.

Here is a shot of what the distribution block looks like.

And NO this never was able to work with the high fender option it took over 27' of brake line to accommodate the mod and we were never able to get all the air out of the lines due to the length and loops. Huge liability so we shelved the idea for good.

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Nope.

Brake lines fit fine.

On what experience do you base your statement?
Well just took the abs system off my bike, and removed the pump, I measured up the length of the the lines and decided that if I were to fit the R suspension in the future (which is my plan) then at full extension of the longer forks the lines would be tighter than I would like, given that the forks are an extra 55mm and certainly tighter than I would be happy using in addition when I took the sensor off there is no way the extra 55mm required in the cable at least not the way it was fitted in my bike.
But if you know better then great, I did say "I think"

Question for the post re the new lines for the high mudguard.
Why did you run a single line and a splitter? was there a reason, I only ask as I run two lines each direct from the master cylinder to each caliper, and it was very easy to bleed, did you try that i.e. two lines connected to the pump, using a double length banjo bolt, and then run one line to each caliper, I would have thought that much easier to bleed and ultimatly more reliable, just wondered if you tried that? far fewer loops and locations for air to get traped.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,619
Well, actually you wrote:

Quote:
I am sure that the brake lines would not not be long enough at full extension of the suspension travel.
And while there is some room for subjective judgment, I regularly and vigorously ride the Finest KTM 990 In The World, a 2011 ADV, with a high (white) fender, ABS and at 250mm travel (one mm higher than my buddy's R). The brake and ABS lines are comfortably sufficient.

I have no knowlege of the length required for a bike modified to remove the ABS stuff.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote