User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
CharlieT OP
old school

Oddometer: 1,659
CB360 Servi-car

Yup, you read that right, building a Honda CB360 Servi-car. Of course now, all the young whippersnappers are googling "servi-car" to see what the hell is a servi-car. So, I'll save you a few key strokes. This is a servi-car

VIrtually all were made by Harley and I beleive they were Harley's longest running model. While some were used for various tasks, such as delivery vehicles, the most common use was by city police departments for traffic/parking patrol.

So now you know what a servi-car is and are wondering why in the world would you build a CB360 one?? Well, why not?

We pckjed up this CB last spring. Kind of a sad story. Gentleman bought it new in 1974, put 1800mi on it that summer and unfortunately passed away that following winter. His widow parked it in the back of the garage and left it there under a tarp until last spring. Piece of advice here....do not indefintely store a bike under a plastic tarp!!! Most all of the chrome was mildly to severly rusted. Fortunately the engine was free and has stock spec compression. Gas tank was surprisingly rust free inside.

So we had the options. 1) get it running as is a sell it as a daily-driver. 2) restore it to like new. 3) use it as the basis for customizing.

Option #1....sorry but I have a hard time leaving things as they are. I tend to look at a lot of bikes the way the are and see in them what they could be. So option 1 was out

Option #2. Between the 350/360 models, Honda imported something like 450,000 of them to the US. THey are not rare collector bikes. With all the rechroming this would need to be pristine, the restoration cost would exceed the value of the finished bike.

So we were left with Option #3. Use it as the base for a custom build. But what would we build??? Gee, anyone ever seen a CB350/360 cafe racer?? Only a few of those arounbd, right? Cafe...road race replica....street-tracker.....plenty of those around. Need to come up with something different.....

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
All that said, still doesn't make much sense.
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
CharlieT OP
old school

THe bike sat in the Pole barn in the back of the shop for a few months during the busy summer season. Then one slow day, I was looking around the shop storage areas and there sat a rear swing arm/axle assembly from a 1986 Honda ATC250R. A three-wheeler that gave up its frame for another project of ours. I looked at that rear axle assembly and looked over at the dust-covered 360.......hhmmmmm. Out with the tape measure and in a moment of creative clarity, or deranged hallucinogenic flashback from the '60's....a vision came to me. A CB360 3-wheel servi-car.

Betch nobody has built one of them before, at least not around these parts.

Could come in very handy to have. Lotsa times I end up driving the cage to pick-up parts, etc., that I can't carry on a bike. Or the old lady could ride it to the store to go grocery shopping. Could even be used to haul a few cases of beverages for those weekend camp-outs. Pluse with the right tires and two-wheel drive, could even have a ride for the snow season up here in Michigan.

First thing to go was the ATC rear wheels. This ain't going to be no mudbogger. Tried a few wheels we had around the shop and ended up that we will be going with some 19" front rims from "77-'78 CB750K. THe spoked rims will go with the old-school look. With the assistance of a tool-die/machinist friend, designed some bolt on spacers/adapters to be able to hook the CB750 rims to the ATC hubs.

CharlieT screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 08:16 AM
Old 02-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,471
Have you seen the CX 500-650 powered meter -maid trikes?
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
CharlieT OP
old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Have you seen the CX 500-650 powered meter -maid trikes?
Had never seen one before I started look at images of servi-cars to get some build ideas. Looks like from what little I could find about them, they were custom-built for police patrol duties also. Oh well, guess my idea of a Honda servi-car wasn't an orignial after all.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,471
Originality is overrated anyway.Everything old is new again.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Sounds like a fun and different deal. I am NOT a 3 wheel tricycle guy at all, but, a project is a project. Have fun with it.
My dad had a servi car when he was young. He ended up selling the trans to a guy who was short and had a hard time pushing his old HD backwards out of a parking spot. My dad customized his frame and put the Servi car trans into it so he had reverse on his motorcycle. I have no other details on how, but I remember the story.

Just a thought if I may, the issue I see with the quad based rear end is that there is no differential for the rear wheel, unless you have a plan for that.
It will be kind of hard to turn when the rear end wants to only go straight. In the dirt quards are not too hard to turn because the dirt allows the slip of the inside wheel and acts as a "differential" of sorts. On pavement quads suck to turn.

Just a thought to look at or be aware of.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
Growing up in Columbus OH as a kid in the 80's I saw lots of the little Servi-Cars we had running around here doing downtown parking & traffic duty. They were Honda CX based....either 500 or 650, I'm not certain which.

Rumor has it there is still a couple in the fleet & every once in a while they still use them.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
CharlieT OP
old school

Oh, we have several other projects going on and a couple more in line waiting. Also building a 1972 Suzuki GT250 cafe racer that would be a more conventional build. The other current project is using the ATC250r chassis with the built 250R motor. It is already mated to a CBR600 swingarm, set-up in the rear and in the process of mounting a Buell XB front end to it, Honda CB650 tank, TZ250 seat/tailsection:

That's where the ATC rear axle assembly came from.

Also have a line on a Sonic-weld rigid tail flattrack chassis that's made for a Honda CL72/77 motor, which I just happen to have a good one sitting around. :)

Quite familiar with solid axle rearends. My son road raced 125 shifter karts and 250 Superkarts for many years.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
No offense meant. Just wanted to throw up my observation. Sorry.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
CharlieT OP
old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
No offense meant. Just wanted to throw up my observation. Sorry.
None taken and no need to apologize. All opinions/observations are welcome.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #12
CharlieT OP
old school

Waiting on the rear hub adapter plate/extensions to get back from the machine shop. So been busy working on other parts of the bike. 1/8" gusset plate added to the new swing arm pivot point.

Also added some slightly modified vintage GoldWing floorboards and converted it over to a hand shift.

Going old school, got the hand shift done and it seems to work fine. Haven't decided on what to do for a gearshift knob yet.

Floorboards mounted, gearshift done, now working on the foot clutch and brake pedal set-ups.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #13
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Too much gusseting often causes a frame break.

Be careful ending a gusset. A very stiff section ending is where more bending starts. This is where it breaks.

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
CharlieT OP
old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa View Post
Too much gusseting often causes a frame break.

Be careful ending a gusset. A very stiff section ending is where more bending starts. This is where it breaks.

Don

You are absolutely correct. If you look closely at the pic, there was an existing tubular loop on the frame. The gusset plate actually sits within that loop, so the ends of the plate are at the point of origin of the original tubular frame member, which should hopefully reduce that stress point that would have been created if it had just been welded directly to the main frame member.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #15
wario
good bike cleaner...

Oddometer: 186
you seem to be a very interesting human - I look forward to meeting you. Im in Grand Rapids.

wario is offline   Reply With Quote