Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 06:01 AM   #16
CharlieT OP
old school

Oddometer: 1,601
wario...was going to tell you to check out the West Michigan thread over in the regional forums, but I just saw that you've already been there. Lotsa of folks on there from the GR & Ottawa County area. Stop by the shop in Galesburg anytime, always got a pot of coffee on, a fridge full of beverages, and a line ofbench racing BS.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #17
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
A strange build but probably a more appropriate use of a CB360 than a race bike lol.

Will be neat when it's done. You could probably sell it to some self employed hipster that will pedal vegetarian tacos out of the back of it.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #18
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
You could probably sell it to some self employed hipster that will pedal vegetarian tacos out of the back of it.
If this is the case it might be wise to build in some special hidden storage spots for his special ingredients.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #19
wario
good bike cleaner...

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
wario...was going to tell you to check out the West Michigan thread over in the regional forums, but I just saw that you've already been there. Lotsa of folks on there from the GR & Ottawa County area. Stop by the shop in Galesburg anytime, always got a pot of coffee on, a fridge full of beverages, and a line ofbench racing BS.
My bench is not very fast, but it's a good talker...

Look forward to meetin' ya.
wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #20
CharlieT OP
old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
A strange build but probably a more appropriate use of a CB360 than a race bike lol.

Will be neat when it's done. You could probably sell it to some self employed hipster that will pedal vegetarian tacos out of the back of it.
Well, I recall the pedal version that cruised the neighborhood ringing a bell selling ice cream to all the kids that came running.

Oh, wait a minute....those had the cart before the horse.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #21
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,404

I can't understand why folks just can't look at someone's project and think to themselves, "Hmm, that sounds strange/absurd/interesting/genius/awesome/stupid/idiotic/something I would never do in a million years. I think I'll watch to see how it turns out," before blasting somebody's idea or coming up with reasons not to do it.

Onward, I say.....ONWARD with this Madness!! Thanks for doing it.

(ps, one could just put power to one wheel and the lack of a differential would not matter)

oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #22
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post

i second this motion. looks like a fun project, i look forward to seeing it evolve

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 AM   #23
CharlieT OP
old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post

(ps, one could just put power to one wheel and the lack of a differential would not matter)

Just got the headlight and driving lights in today. Still waiting on the rear hub adapters. Not real concerned about the reardrive. WHile the original version of the ATC or its cousin, the TRX250R quad may have had difficulty turning, got to rember the size of the rear tires. THe ATC/quad tires are massive width while the rear tires we will be running will be 4.00x19. THe difference in contact patch is substanial. WIth the tiny contact patch afford by the 4.00x19 tires, I think inside wheel grip versus slippage won't be too much of an issue in turning.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #24
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,075
I read a book about WW1 flying ace and early race car driver Eddie Rickenbacker once. In a pre WW1 Indy 500 race to lessen tire scrub and wear on his outer tires he ran some tubing out to the tires. Through this tubing the riding mechanic would pump oil when the car entered a turn.
It certainly sounds nutty these days but, back then tires wore quickly and the less time spent changing them, the more time on the track.
The officials later found this mod and outlawed it imeadiately. Future scrutenerring included checking for oil to tire delivery systems and this put a stop to the whole bit.

For the trike , well here's your chance to bring back an obscure early 20th century trick. Rig up a resavouir and pump and lines and you can be sure of lessened traction on the tire of your choseing.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #25
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by wario View Post
you seem to be a very interesting human - I look forward to meeting you. Im in Grand Rapids.

Thats an understatement. Since he retired last year Charlie has gone off the deep end.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #26
CharlieT OP
old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
Thats an understatement. Since he retired last year Charlie has gone off the deep end.
SO, old goat, you saying I wasn't off the deep end before I retired???

Old 02-14-2013, 05:20 AM   #27
CharlieT OP
old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
For the trike , well here's your chance to bring back an obscure early 20th century trick. Rig up a resavouir and pump and lines and you can be sure of lessened traction on the tire of your choseing.
You know, thinking about this, virtually all the servi-cars were the old Harley 45's. THey probably had an automatic oiler if you know what I mean.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #28
MichiganMachete
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
is there a thread on the atc framed cafe?!

I still own an 86 250R quad....such a fun motor. Your atc/cafe bike project has me intrigued.

Also, I'm in GR too.
MichiganMachete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #29
CharlieT OP
old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMachete View Post
is there a thread on the atc framed cafe?!

I still own an 86 250R quad....such a fun motor. Your atc/cafe bike project has me intrigued.

Also, I'm in GR too.
You know, I think there might be. I think my son might have started one last spring when we first started on it. We got so busy with customer repairs, restos over the summer that all our projects ground to a halt. Will dig around and see if I can find it.

Probably should start one on the '72 GT250 cafe build, too.

We got two bikes in the shop now from GR, an '82 CB900c and an '82 GS1100G. Stop by the shop any time for a tour, always got a pot of coffee on and a fridge full of drinks.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #30
CharlieT OP
old school

Well, still waiting on the rear axle adapters. So decided to do some work on the front end. Made some mounts and added some lights. Oh, and a big chrome horn, too.

Also dug up some nice wide old school style bars. SItting on it with the floorboards and those bars felt very comfortable.

CharlieT screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 07:38 AM