Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #61
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
How is it that F150 was damaged across it's entire face while yours was only barely scratched on the right side?
'cause it's a Tundra.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #62
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:

I call bullshit.
You are a knucklehead.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #63
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
Not a GM fan at all. Nissan either. Reliability is a prime concern thus considering the Tundra.
I'm not a GM fan either, or of large trucks, but the 2003 Silverado I happened upon has done very well mechanically with 235k.

Some of the gadgets don't work, like the compass and auto-dimming mirror (irritating) and the gear selection lamp does not operate when the gauge cluster is installed in the dash (dangerous) but even when I accidentally put in R doing 35, the tranny I thought was butter lived on.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #64
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

I made it all up.

What else ya got Inspector Cluzo?

Old 12-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #65
rudyunknown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
I have a 2008 Tundra SR5 5.7 not the 4X4...but i use it solely to transfer the bikes from home to rides and trailer the Rpod (camper) which weighs arnd 3000 lbs loaded...and with bike on the bed add another 300 pounds...i get 11mpg...

i recenlty got close to 20mpg with my husky 250 loaded for a 400 miles round trip....drving on the highway arnd the speed limit maybe 5-10 over at times....

bought it with 38,000 miles for $18,500....arnd 44,000 miles now needs front brakes and tires.....drives like a minivan extremely smooth...

and yes i drive it 5 days a week to drop my son off to the daycare round trip 1.5 miles

have no complaints whatsoever....
Vstrom 1000 For everything else

rudyunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #66
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,117
I am waiting on zero percent interest rate on the '14 and I will upgrade from my '10 5.7 Double Cab TRD off road Tundra. This truck has been awesome to date and has had zero issues. It's been worked hard since day one pulling 8k lb toy hauler all across the SE and SW United States. The only thing it's needed is gas and plenty of it. Averages 7.5-9 mpg pulling this kind of weight. The wind is the costly part not the weight as the truck literally snatches it from a dead stop and will run all day long at 70 mph with it. It's pulled some serious grades out west and in the eastern smokies.

I like the new one only because it offers a little nicer interior with a few more gadgets on board. The 10 is my secod Tundra to date and I have owned two Tacomas all have been super reliable and held their value really well.

My '10 Tundra parked at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. In the back of the toy hauler is a DR650 and a Super Tenere. This was a two week trip and 3000+ miles in the dead of summer the truck never missed a beat. We plan to go back to Utah in it or a new one May 2014.

I challenge anyone with a Ford EgoBoost 150 to try the same feat.
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #67
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
If it can tow the Space Shuttle it has to be good, right?
Old 12-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #68
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyunknown View Post
I have a 2008 Tundra SR5 5.7

i recenlty got close to 20mpg with my husky 250 loaded for a 400 miles round trip....drving on the highway arnd the speed limit maybe 5-10 over at times....

bought it with 38,000 miles for $18,500....arnd 44,000 miles now needs front brakes and tires.....drives like a minivan extremely smooth...

have no complaints whatsoever....
See that's the kind of stories that make me think Tundra. I've been lurking on forums and you just hear about SO MANY problems with American pickups, and very few about the Tundra. Part of that may be there are just many more US brand pickups out there.

We tend to buy new vehicles & keep them a long time. Our current vehicles are an '05 Accord with 135,000 miles, and an '06 Sienna with 150,000. Both have been very reliable, and we don't plan to sell either. Somehow I can't see an American pickup being as worry free. True or not, that's my bias.

There are a couple of reoccurring problems I've read about with the Tundra. There is an expensive air injection pump that goes out. Also on the new flex fuel trucks, there is a problem where the sensors keep defaulting to a mixture for high alcohol content, making for hard starting and really poor mileage. Not sure there is a real fix for that one yet. I was thinking, just don't get a flex fuel Tundra, but it seems ALL the 5.7s in this area are FF.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #69
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
I made it all up.

What else ya got Inspector Cluzo?
I don't for a second believe that your photographs are any indication of "toughness". Accident dynamics and all. I notice you got towed off too, and "hardly scratched". Yea, right.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #70
gec343 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
I bought my 1997 T100 new, and now have 99,000 miles on it, pulled travel trailer to Florida a couple of times, plowed snow for several years, etc. I've never done anything to it other than tires, plugs, brakes, etc. Never even had a light burn out.

However, I must say the new Tundra is dissappointing.due to no improvement in fuel economy, etc. My son bought a new 2011 GMC Sierra, and has had many issues, the worst being major oil usage. His previous truck was a 2005 Sierra, which was a reliability nightmare, the worst being transmission failure at 85,000 miles. He plans on a new Tundra very soon.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)

gec343 screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 11:16 AM
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #71
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
I notice you got towed off too, and "hardly scratched". Yea, right.
I got taken away in an ambulance you fuckknuckle, kinda difficult to drive. No?

Afterwards, I went straight to the lot, changed the flat tire and drove home.

Man, you are one dense fucker.

What else ya got Cluzo?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #72
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
See that's the kind of stories that make me think Tundra. I've been lurking on forums and you just hear about SO MANY problems with American pickups, and very few about the Tundra. Part of that may be there are just many more US brand pickups out there.

We tend to buy new vehicles & keep them a long time. Our current vehicles are an '05 Accord with 135,000 miles, and an '06 Sienna with 150,000. Both have been very reliable, and we don't plan to sell either. Somehow I can't see an American pickup being as worry free. True or not, that's my bias.

There are a couple of reoccurring problems I've read about with the Tundra. There is an expensive air injection pump that goes out. Also on the new flex fuel trucks, there is a problem where the sensors keep defaulting to a mixture for high alcohol content, making for hard starting and really poor mileage. Not sure there is a real fix for that one yet. I was thinking, just don't get a flex fuel Tundra, but it seems ALL the 5.7s in this area are FF.
That expensive air pump is now covered for life of vehicle. Toyota will reimburse you if you had to pay out of pocket to repair one. In 65000 miles mine has never had that problem but its garage parked. Supposedly the rain gets in the air pump if the truck is submerged or in a lot of rain. The pump location has been relocated in the current models. 07-08 models seem to have the most problems of all 2nd generation trucks. Even those issues are small in comparison to the big three.
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #73
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
I purchased a used 2011 Tundra 4X4 Crewmax one year ago, after having had numerous brand new GMC trucks over the past 25 years.

The GMC's were all junk...each and every one was in the shop numerous times the FIRST year, and EVERY year that I owned them.

Why would a company that makes a successful product require bailing out by the government????????

The Tundra has gone a whole year with just oil changes...and everything still works!

The new Tundra's are a bit low in the looks department, but with any luck, my current Tundra will still be running when they come out with the next new model.
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #74
gec343 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
I purchased a used 2011 Tundra 4X4 Crewmax one year ago, after having had numerous brand new GMC trucks over the past 25 years.

The GMC's were all junk...each and every one was in the shop numerous times the FIRST year, and EVERY year that I owned them.

HTML Code:
Why would a company that makes a successful product require bailing out by the government???????? :kboom
The Tundra has gone a whole year with just oil changes...and everything still works!

The new Tundra's are a bit low in the looks department, but with any luck, my current Tundra will still be running when they come out with the next new model.
Union votes!!!!!! Just one reason, I will never, in my lifetime, buy another UAW made vehicle!!!

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)

gec343 screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 06:55 PM
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #75
rudyunknown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
about the fuel economy...right now with combined travel i get arnd 16-18mpgs....but why use a pickup for a daily driver..dosent everyone here have a bike....use that combined with the tundra and my going to work mpg is arnd 32mpgs...and Yes i ride a Vstrom 1000 which gives me 40mpg on a very good day with no clouds :)
Vstrom 1000 For everything else

rudyunknown is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: