Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #76
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
That expensive air pump is now covered for life of vehicle. Toyota will reimburse you if you had to pay out of pocket to repair one. In 65000 miles mine has never had that problem but its garage parked. Supposedly the rain gets in the air pump if the truck is submerged or in a lot of rain. The pump location has been relocated in the current models. 07-08 models seem to have the most problems of all 2nd generation trucks. Even those issues are small in comparison to the big three.
Conveniently, it doesn't cover the 06's and previous.
Buddy has the 06' and his is bad, now.
Did some searching about and found out about the recall.
There are just as many complaints about the previous year models as there are of the 07's and up.
I guess at 266,000 miles on the clock, something was due to break sooner or later.
Sucks it has to be that, and that damned expensive.
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #77
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
I don't for a second believe that your photographs are any indication of "toughness". Accident dynamics and all. I notice you got towed off too, and "hardly scratched". Yea, right.
You want the vehicle to fold up so you have a nice gentle stop. Has nothing to do with how long it will work. Rigid or tough vehicles, can easily injure the occupants. Of course a sample size of 1 is meaningless.
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #78
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,496
My 07 Tundra has 90k on it. Problem free. I couldn't ask the truck to do anything better.

Regarding the tailgate, I was unloaded a 750# steel hydraulic lift table from the bed and scooting it down some ramps. Somehow the table tilted on me and all 750# were point loaded almost directly on the very outer center of the tailgate, plus my 230# ass trying to keep it from going real bad real fast. No issues.

I will say the sheetmetal is a little flimsy though, I dented the bed by just leaning over to grab something.

I get 14-16 mpg with mostly unloaded city miles.

I'd buy another in a second.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #79
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
You want the vehicle to fold up so you have a nice gentle stop. Has nothing to do with how long it will work. Rigid or tough vehicles, can easily injure the occupants. Of course a sample size of 1 is meaningless.

you guys are too easy.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #80
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,968
Swung by the dealer today. Only 3 '14 Tundras on the lot. One 1798 (or whatever) Cc, an SR5 DC and a SR5 TRD Cc. The SR5 CC only had the TRD package and door will protectors, $39k and change. That's the one is be interested in. Wouldn't really need the TRD package.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:30 AM   #81
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
Swung by the dealer today. Only 3 '14 Tundras on the lot. One 1798 (or whatever)
How as the interior amenities on this truck? $48K?
Old 12-05-2013, 05:38 AM   #82
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
How as the interior amenities on this truck? $48K?
I didn't even look, there's no way I'd be getting one if those. It was a very nice root beer brown though. Trucks are expensive.
1988 DT50
Old 12-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #83
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
Trucks are expensive.

I'm a lightly used, private party, 3 to 4 year, low miles, cash buyer myself. Simply can't see spending more than 25K on a truck.

Give us a first impressions when you get it. Have you owned older generation Tundra's for comparison?
Old 12-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #84
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Give us a first impressions when you get it. Have you owned older generation Tundra's for comparison?
It will be a while. I'm currently unemployed and still hopeful. So it hasn't been too long yet. I haven't owned any other pickup, only driven a few.

I've considered used, but for whatever reason I've just had bad luck with just about every used car I've bought. There's usually a reason someone gets rid if a vehicle and gets a different one. Sometimes it's just because they want a new one, but you just don't know, unless you know the seller pretty well.
1988 DT50
Old 12-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #85
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
I'm currently unemployed and still hopeful. So it hasn't been too long yet.
Good luck in your search man.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #86
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Good luck in your search man.
Thanks. I appreciate it.
1988 DT50
Old 12-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #87
klp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
My 07 Tundra has 90k on it. Problem free. I couldn't ask the truck to do anything better.
I traded my 07 last year with 60k miles - zero problems. It would get 16mixed if you babied it, the new ones are not going to do much better.

I may get a Tacoma next go around - the Tundra was just huge all the time and I never really needed that much capacity.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #88
apriliacati
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_FLY_LOW View Post
Conveniently, it doesn't cover the 06's and previous.
Buddy has the 06' and his is bad, now.
Did some searching about and found out about the recall.
There are just as many complaints about the previous year models as there are of the 07's and up.
I guess at 266,000 miles on the clock, something was due to break sooner or later.
Sucks it has to be that, and that damned expensive.
Tell your buddy to go to a different dealer, my brothers 06 is covered.

I have an 08 Tundra and love it, I had a 2006 Ram Hemi, and a Silverado before and they both don't compare to the Tundra. The gas mileage isn't great, but lets get real, It has almost 400 HP.

My wife also had a 2005 Avalanche that had some serious rust spots on it. At the time the truck was just 3 years old. Numerous attempts to the dealer to try and get them to fix was useless.

And look what Toyota is doing, replacing complete chassis on trucks that are up to 13 years old. Do you think GM, Dodge or Ford would do that? And those chassis that rusted were all made in the USA. I've never been brand loyal, but that's pretty great in my book.
apriliacati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #89
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,220
I've owned enough tundras to know better than to own another one. They're fine unless you actually need a pickup to use as intended, you know hauling stuff, pulling heavy loads, getting down muddy roads and such. For that, they are shit.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #90
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,159
Couple of notes for brain food:

-The Toyota Tundras are 100% American Manufactured (San Antonio Texas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Tundra ) and are sold only here in North America, with most of the sales coming from within the States. It is every bit an American Made truck as it gets, designed here, built here, sold here. Same thing with the Tacoma.

-The design team that re-designed the 2014 Tundra has also been known to work for Ford, Dodge, and GM, hence why the front of the Tundra looks like a Dodge, the tail looks similar to a GM, and the interior looks deeply inspired by Ford. Either way, still the same heavy duty chassis beneath.

Despite all of the overwhelming good experiences by people that actually own them and put them to work, you will always get some nay-sayer that thinks they're crap, just because they either don't like them, or because they are anti-JDM, though I should note that Toyota Motor Corporation North America is an independent company, ran beside the Toyota Motors Japan company. Case in point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
I've owned enough tundras to know better than to own another one. They're fine unless you actually need a pickup to use as intended, you know hauling stuff, pulling heavy loads, getting down muddy roads and such. For that, they are shit.
You see here gentlemen, he hasn't provided any conclusions that are convincing. How much have you tried to haul? Did you know they make 3 different bed lengths for the Tundra, the longest of which you can fit nearly any motorcycle in with the tailgate closed and still have room for your fuel cans? How much weight have you actually tried to pull? I've pulled some 12,000lbs (trailer brakes mandatory at these weights) and the truck didn't even sweat it. Muddy roads are what the Tundra loves best, roll into the coals in 2wd and you will be sideways and smiling with the biggest stupid grin on your face. Or plop it into 4wd and it'll truck along without hesitation. I'd say the Tundra excels the best at towing and offroading, that truck was designed to get down and dirty and be put away wet.

Having weight in the truck bed actually improves the ride, as it prevents the truck bed from bouncing unnecessarily over the small bumps in the road, due to the rear end being light (most trucks are like this actually).

To each his own, the Tundra fanbase is massive and undeniable, people love it for a reason.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: