Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #91
gec343 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
Couple of notes for brain food:

-The Toyota Tundras are 100% American Manufactured (San Antonio Texas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Tundra ) and are sold only here in North America, with most of the sales coming from within the States. It is every bit an American Made truck as it gets, designed here, built here, sold here. Same thing with the Tacoma.

-The design team that re-designed the 2014 Tundra has also been known to work for Ford, Dodge, and GM, hence why the front of the Tundra looks like a Dodge, the tail looks similar to a GM, and the interior looks deeply inspired by Ford. Either way, still the same heavy duty chassis beneath.

Despite all of the overwhelming good experiences by people that actually own them and put them to work, you will always get some nay-sayer that thinks they're crap, just because they either don't like them, or because they are anti-JDM, though I should note that Toyota Motor Corporation North America is an independent company, ran beside the Toyota Motors Japan company. Case in point:

You see here gentlemen, he hasn't provided any conclusions that are convincing. How much have you tried to haul? Did you know they make 3 different bed lengths for the Tundra, the longest of which you can fit nearly any motorcycle in with the tailgate closed and still have room for your fuel cans? How much weight have you actually tried to pull? I've pulled some 12,000lbs (trailer brakes mandatory at these weights) and the truck didn't even sweat it. Muddy roads are what the Tundra loves best, roll into the coals in 2wd and you will be sideways and smiling with the biggest stupid grin on your face. Or plop it into 4wd and it'll truck along without hesitation. I'd say the Tundra excels the best at towing and offroading, that truck was designed to get down and dirty and be put away wet.

Having weight in the truck bed actually improves the ride, as it prevents the truck bed from bouncing unnecessarily over the small bumps in the road, due to the rear end being light (most trucks are like this actually).

To each his own, the Tundra fanbase is massive and undeniable, people love it for a reason.
Well stated. I love Toyota's. My 1997 T100 has almost 100,000 miles with next to zero issues. I am a little amazed that for 2014 the Tundra didn't improve fuel economy, offer AWD, etc. For me, no UAW vehicles, never!! I'll drive my T100 until AWD with a six cylinder is offered in the Tundra or Tacoma.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #92
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
Couple of notes for brain food:

-The Toyota Tundras are 100% American Manufactured (San Antonio Texas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Tundra ) and are sold only here in North America, with most of the sales coming from within the States. It is every bit an American Made truck as it gets, designed here, built here, sold here. Same thing with the Tacoma.

-The design team that re-designed the 2014 Tundra has also been known to work for Ford, Dodge, and GM, hence why the front of the Tundra looks like a Dodge, the tail looks similar to a GM, and the interior looks deeply inspired by Ford. Either way, still the same heavy duty chassis beneath.

Despite all of the overwhelming good experiences by people that actually own them and put them to work, you will always get some nay-sayer that thinks they're crap, just because they either don't like them, or because they are anti-JDM, though I should note that Toyota Motor Corporation North America is an independent company, ran beside the Toyota Motors Japan company. Case in point:

You see here gentlemen, he hasn't provided any conclusions that are convincing. How much have you tried to haul? Did you know they make 3 different bed lengths for the Tundra, the longest of which you can fit nearly any motorcycle in with the tailgate closed and still have room for your fuel cans? How much weight have you actually tried to pull? I've pulled some 12,000lbs (trailer brakes mandatory at these weights) and the truck didn't even sweat it. Muddy roads are what the Tundra loves best, roll into the coals in 2wd and you will be sideways and smiling with the biggest stupid grin on your face. Or plop it into 4wd and it'll truck along without hesitation. I'd say the Tundra excels the best at towing and offroading, that truck was designed to get down and dirty and be put away wet.

Having weight in the truck bed actually improves the ride, as it prevents the truck bed from bouncing unnecessarily over the small bumps in the road, due to the rear end being light (most trucks are like this actually).

To each his own, the Tundra fanbase is massive and undeniable, people love it for a reason.

I've owned an 05, 07, 08 & 10. All were 4x4's, crew cabs with 6 1/2 foot beds. The 05 was Limited, the later ones were SR5's all with the big motors. The new models suffered various issues that shouldn't happen.

The 07 suffered a security module failure out of warranty the required the removal of the instrument panel to replace. That's almost $1000 just in labor.

The 07 & 10 both had a/c duct failures that required center stack replacement. Those were $1300+ items.

They've all spent time in the shop with transmission and engine issues.

They don't even offer a true limited slip differential and are pretty helpless in challenging conditions.

The tail gate is a joke compared to any of the big three. Hauling my GSA in one actually deformed the inner sheet metal from the rear tires weight. An employee sat a 75 lb gear box in the bed of the 10, didn't close his tail gate while driving slowly out of a field. He hit a bump that made the gear box bounce up, it landed in the middle of the open tail gate and buckled the sucker.

They required overload springs to handle a seed trailer that my current F150 easily handles with stock suspension. Strangely enough, the F150 rides better and is quieter too, even though it handles heavier loads better.

We do have an 08 Tacoma 4x4, a four banger with the standard cab. It's been a tough little truck that's given good service. Maybe because it doesn't have enough power to hurt itself.

Oh, and the fan base isn't that "massive". The tundra is a distant 5th in full size pickup sales and they're not gaining ground.

stevie88 screwed with this post 12-07-2013 at 09:49 PM
stevie88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #93
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,683

The design team for this model should be shot. I would have thought that Nissan sent them over to made an ugly truck into a really fugly truck. How a truck looks does matter. I think they are all on some big grille for the man with a tiny penis thing. They all get worse each model change.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #94
apriliacati
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
I've owned an 05, 07, 08 & 10. All were 4x4's, crew cabs with 6 1/2 foot beds. The 05 was Limited, the later ones were SR5's all with the big motors. The new models suffered various issues that shouldn't happen.

The 07 suffered a security module failure out of warranty the required the removal of the instrument panel to replace. That's almost $1000 just in labor.

The 07 & 10 both had a/c duct failures that required center stack replacement. Those were $1300+ items.

They don't even offer a true limited slip differential and are pretty helpless in challenging conditions.

The tail gate is a joke compared to any of the big three. Hauling my GSA in one actually deformed the inner sheet metal from the rear tires weight. An employee sat a 75 lb gear box in the bed of the 10, didn't close his tail gate while driving slowly out of a field. He hit a bump that made the gear box bounce up, it landed in the middle of the open tail gate and buckled the sucker.

They required overload springs to handle a seed trailer that my current F150 easily handles with stock suspension. Strangely enough, the F150 rides better and is quieter too, even though it handles heavier loads better.

We do have an 08 Tacoma 4x4, a four banger with the standard cab. It's been a tough little truck that's given good service. Maybe because it doesn't have enough power to hurt itself.

Oh, and the fan base isn't that "massive". The tundra is a distant 5th in full size pickup sales and they're not gaining ground.
If its such a POS why did you own 4 of them?

I could care less about sales. I do know for a fact they have the highest resale value out of any pickup. Why do you think that is?
apriliacati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #95
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliacati View Post
If its such a POS why did you own 4 of them?

I could care less about sales. I do know for a fact they have the highest resale value out of any pickup. Why do you think that is?
Ask yourself why I don't own one now.

I doubt they're tops in trade-in value among full sized pickups. A quick look a Kelly blue book indicates to me that they lag the domestics in that regard.

Fan base size does have a pretty direct relationship to sales numbers. You're the one who brought that into the discussion.

Face it, Toyota hasn't put the resources into this market segment needed to compete. They've stood pat since 07 while the competition has moved on.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #96
apriliacati
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Ask yourself why I don't own one now.

I doubt they're tops in trade-in value among full sized pickups. A quick look a Kelly blue book indicates to me that they lag the domestics in that regard.

Fan base size does have a pretty direct relationship to sales numbers. You're the one who brought that into the discussion.

Face it, Toyota hasn't put the resources into this market segment needed to compete. They've stood pat since 07 while the competition has moved on.

The way your bashing the Tundra you should have know after the first one not to buy the second one. And then a third, and then a forth.

This month motor trend has a listing of all the new pickup trucks and there worth after 5 years. Tundra rated the highest, 62 percent, all the others rated under 50 percent.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #97
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
The way your bashing the Tundra you should have know after the first one not to buy the second one. And then a third, and then a forth.

This month motor trend has a listing of all the new pickup trucks and there worth after 5 years. Tundra rated the highest, 62 percent, all the others rated under 50 percent.
Do you know what those figures are based on? The Tundra list price is generally lower than a comparably equipped domestic pickup but they usually offer smaller discounts. If the resale value is a percentage of the suggested retail price rather than the actual sale price when new it would skew the results in the Tundras favor.

I didn't really mean to get in a pissing contest here. The tundra is fine for the suburban dweller who might run to the garden center on weekends or pull a boat to the lake. It's just a bit too light duty to match up well with the competition under harder use.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #98
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,913
Now were getting somewhere!

Stevie88, is the Tundra off road limitation just due to the lack of a LSD? Other than that I'd think a 6,000 lb 4 wheel truck is pretty similar to another.

The one thing that concerns me is the ride. I've heard Tundras ride pretty rough. For daily use that may not be a good thing for me. Trailering would be with a WDH so stiff rear springs won't really be necessary for me.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #99
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,074
FYI, Tundra is topped in re-sale value by the Tacoma. The Tacoma and Wrangler both offer the highest re-sale vehicle out of any other vehicle in the country.

Also, stevie88 is just a troll. He now has the genuine pleasure of being added to my Ignore list. Why someone would have bought 3 more Tundras after having a bad experience with the first one is beyond me. Sounds like he might be a little too ignorant to function properly. Probably a Ford fan from the sounds of it, probably has an EgoBoost truck just to make himself feel better. "American" Made.

I don't personally own a Tundra, but I have buddies who do, and we (as a combined effort) have yet to break one... Too tough a truck.

I also wonder if anyone here knows that Toyota has more care for their customers than any other auto manufacturer? Toyota has good willed more expensive parts out to loyal customers than anyone else. I recall an incident in the past where a loyal customer of ours had a charcoal canister failure after some 140k miles, the repair was going to run them over a grand just in parts. We got into contact with TMNA and explained the situation to them and they repaired the car for the customer absolutely free of charge. It does pay off to be loyal to your local Toyota dealership. And not all of the service advisers are there to rip you off...

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me

XpressCS screwed with this post 12-08-2013 at 09:08 AM
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #100
apriliacati
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Did you have your Tundra custom made? Toyota doesn't build a crew cab with 6 1/2 foot bed, only the double cab has one.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #101
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
Now were getting somewhere!

Stevie88, is the Tundra off road limitation just due to the lack of a LSD? Other than that I'd think a 6,000 lb 4 wheel truck is pretty similar to another.

The one thing that concerns me is the ride. I've heard Tundras ride pretty rough. For daily use that may not be a good thing for me. Trailering would be with a WDH so stiff rear springs won't really be necessary for me.
Toyota uses the antilock brakes to mimic a LSD. This has obvious limitations under extended usage. It's also impossible to completely defeat the electronic driver aids. The traction control will still intrude when you don't really want it to. There are times when you need to bury the gas pedal, spin up the tires and cut ruts down a muddy road. Because the tundra doesn't offer a LSD, it's traction control is always there, even when you'd prefer it not to be.

I pull this trailer during planting seasons. The Tundra needed overload springs to properly handle the weight, the F150 doesn't. The ford is equipped with the Ecoboost V6, towing power between it and the big V8 in the Tundra seems about the same. The ford might have a slight edge here. Loaded this trailer will weigh over 22k.......don't say it, I know.
Both pickups suck gas at an alarming rate under load. I'll probably go back to a diesel 3/4 ton next time.

The F150 does ride noticeably better and has less road and wind noise, as do the new Rams. I would give the tundra the edge in emergency handling though.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #102
apriliacati
Gnarly Adventurer

Consumer Reports' most recent reliability study (considered to be the largest and most influential of its kind), based on a survey of new-vehicle purchasers, shows that U.S. pickup truck manufacturers (Ram, Chevy, GMC and Ford) are still struggling. According to the Detroit News, the only exception seems to be Toyota, which makes both the Tacoma and Tundra in San Antonio. Toyota has traditionally done well in these kinds of surveys, and this year ranks in the No. 2 spot (same as last year), with its luxury division Lexus at No. 1.
The survey does not separate pickups from other car segments, but considers all the vehicles in a manufacturer's lineup. Specifically, pickup truck makers such as Honda fell two spots (from 6 to 8), GMC moved up (from 12 to 9), Chevrolet dropped (from 15 to 17), Ram moved up by the largest margin of any truck maker (from 25 to 19), Nissan fell by the widest margin (from 13 to 22), and Ford stayed flat, finishing at 26, one spot lower than last year. It's worth noting that the vehicle that scored best in the annual survey for Ford was a 3.7-liter V-6-equipped F-150, and the EcoBoost twin-turbo F-150's reliability rating dropped from last year.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #103
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Did you have your Tundra custom made? Toyota doesn't build a crew cab with 6 1/2 foot bed, only the double cab has one.
Double cab.

Crew cab, mega cab, double cab, extended cab, blah, blah, blah...
Old 12-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #104
apriliacati
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Toyota uses the antilock brakes to mimic a LSD. This has obvious limitations under extended usage. It's also impossible to completely defeat the electronic driver aids. The traction control will still intrude when you don't really want it to. There are times when you need to bury the gas pedal, spin up the tires and cut ruts down a muddy road. Because the tundra doesn't offer a LSD, it's traction control is always there, even when you'd prefer it not to be.

I pull this trailer during planting seasons. The Tundra needed overload springs to properly handle the weight, the F150 doesn't. The ford is equipped with the Ecoboost V6, towing power between it and the big V8 in the Tundra seems about the same. The ford might have a slight edge here. Loaded this trailer will weigh over 22k.......don't say it, I know.
Both pickups suck gas at an alarming rate under load. I'll probably go back to a diesel 3/4 ton next time.

The F150 does ride noticeably better and has less road and wind noise, as do the new Rams. I would give the tundra the edge in emergency handling though.

LOL, Now I know your all bullshit. If you actually had a Tundra you would know that you can switch the drivers aids off. The button is under the steering wheel.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #105
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
LOL, Now I know your all bullshit. If you actually had a Tundra you would know that you can switch the drivers aids off. The button is under the steering wheel.
Of course I know that. In four wheel drive the traction control still steps in when the tires spin even if you turn the drivers aids off because it's trying to do what a LSD does.

That's the problem, don't you see? With no true LSD, the truck needs the drivers aids on or it's pretty helpless in muddy, slick conditions so the traction control is always on.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: