Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #31
CJBDRdude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Pirelli MT 16 rear isn't DOT, only the front.

Wrong you are the rear not only is DOT .. Pirelli advertises it as such!!!
CJBDRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #32
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,668
Just finished with a set of Dunlop d606. Good wear (2500 on a rear), but grip was so-so. Tended to slip around a lot and not want to turn in the dirt while leaned over without stepping out.

Just put on a kenda trakmaster 2 on the rear, and a Pirelli scorpion pro on the front of my xr6. Great grip in the dirt and loose stuff. Not too noisy on the roads. But, definitely not going to last as long as the d606. Have only done one weekend of riding and already can see wear on the kenda. But, also much more cheaper than the Dunlop rear.

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #33
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins13 View Post
+1 I run 18lbs of pressure in the back and about 20 in front everywhere. The tire does all around good for me. You can find a better knobby or street tire. This tire works good all around with the right tire pressure. I first rode it with full air and it rode like crap. Slippin and sliddin on dirt and asphalt. Take the air down and they grip. Best of all they are fairly cheap. I heard the shinko 244 is like the kenda 270 but better? Havnt tried it yet. Anyone know about the 244 from experience?
Goldenboy shinko, grrrrrrrreat on road profile, pretty good offroad, but it has to be aired down or you'll wash the front out everywhere.

Prolly the easiest tire to mount so far. For me.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #34
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
My KLR had Perelli Skorpions on it when I bought it. Great street tire that sucked in dirt. Put over 7,000 miles on those tires & JUST changed them yesterday. They've still got another 1-2 thousand miles left on them. I went with a Dunlop D606 up front & a Heidenau K-60 Scout on the rear. Haven't had a chance to get them dirty yet but, that should change soon & I'll give an update.

I've heard the K-60 sucks in mud but, the KLR sucks in mud & I usually avoid mud anyway. Dirt, sand & rocks are what I usually ride when off road.
Update: First real off road ride on new tires went well. Godzilla fealt very planted except when it got VERY slippery & even then I managed not to flop on my a$$. The camera didn't really catch how slick parts of the ride were.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7pbhoI_lzA

The mud hole I got stuck in at the end was the second worst of the days ride. My Gopro ran out of power & missed the worst one but, I still got 9 parts of the ride in total. It was a great day of riding & surprisingly, none of us went down once.

So far I'm really liking the K-60 rear & D-606 front combo.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #35
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
as others have pointed out, it's technically an emo (long in the front, shorter in the back) as mullet is the opposite...but the term mullet has stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
Thanks all. Never heard that term "mullet" for tires but I assume you mean more aggressive dirt tire on the front and longer lasting dual-sport tire on the back?

I've tried MT-21's and Dunlop 606 before. They just don't seem to offer enough grip (on front) for the kind of riding my buddies do. It's kind of an Enduro or Harescrambles, almost race pace type of riding on trails. I'm wondering if I could run a more dirt oriented tire on the front (XCMS Pirelli, Michelin S-12, Dunlop Geomax 51) and then run a little less agressive dirt tire on the back: MT - 21 etc maybe? For those who ride the more race oriented dirtbikes have you tried something like this?

Or maybe i need to go with more dual sport, longer lasting tires and just become a better rider in the slop!

thanks for your thoughts all!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 10:12 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #36
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
Goldenboy shinko, grrrrrrrreat on road profile, pretty good offroad, but it has to be aired down or you'll wash the front out everywhere.

agreed on the rear. works well as a 50/50 tire. wear is ok but price is cheap.
front not so good thus use a more aggressive front tire.

i do like the MT-21 ($80) front, but i find the IRC TR8 to handle better on the paved (where i like to corner hard) but a little less on the dirt (which i can accept for the paved performance and in reality I can only push the bike so hard as the rear tire is less aggressive). the TR8 is also cheaper ($65) but still a high quality built and made in Japan tire. I think most do not know about the TR8 so they don't sell that well. I tried it on a whim.
Butler Maps website:

eakins screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 10:24 AM
Old 02-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #37
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post

I've heard the K-60 sucks in mud
understand the 130-17" K-60 ($150) does not have a center bar at all, that could cause it to suck in the mud, like the 140-17" & 150-17" size . the design is like the original K60 and is more aggressive. make sure you're not hearing chatter about the 140 & 150 sizes at the 130 is very different in tread.

i have a pic of all 3 i'll dig up and post.

the best 50/50 long life rear tire i've ever used is the mefo explorer ($170).
they were $100 a few years ago but now the price is crazy expensive (& worse than the K60)

the theory back then was the tire cost 2x that of of the other options but it
2x the life so it even out and you changed less tires. now it's often 3x the cost and getting harder to justify. if you are taking a huge dual-sport/alaska ride and hope to do it on 1 rear then yes the cost is worth it. if you day ride or take shorter trips and thus returning home often to easily change tire, the cost is questionable.

the original 130-17" K60 did not yield good mileage (for the high price) but with a rubber compound redo the new 130 is suppose to be very good. not sure the exact numbers or how they compare to the K60 however? any new-compound 130-17" user care to respond? or mefo explorer users for that matter?

the 5.10-17 (same size as 130-17) shinko 244 is $55 for comparison sake.
right now trying out the shinko 700 ($60) and i'm not impressed with the life and the grip is just ok.
next set is another tr8 front - 244 rear ($120 total) for me.

i'm hoping Mitas (another Euro company) gets its import act together and brings in the E07 rear (very similar design pattern to the mefo explorer) to the US. in places where they are available, they are priced alot lower than Mefo or Heidenau and could come in potentially at $100 for the 130-17" size. reports of rear mileage are way up there like the Mefo and the Australian guys are saying the E07 is the most used rear tire for dual-sporters by a huge margin.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519584
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706242
Butler Maps website:

eakins screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 10:36 AM
Old 02-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #38
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,203
My K270s hook up excellent on dirt roads, and they make a 25ft wall of sand at the dunes without trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #39
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
I used to run K270's all the time. Pretty good 50/50 tire that works well everywhere but sticky mud, but they can be a bit squirmy on pavement when pushed hard in corners.

I've since switched to Shinko 244's (golden boy) They work just as good as the kenda 270's off road, last a bit longer, and are quite a bit cheaper. You can get a set for around $100 and they will last 3-5k on a rear and 5+ on the front. And they feel much more planted on the pavement. All in all a good compromise.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #40
dolphins13
orange rules

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
I used to run K270's all the time. Pretty good 50/50 tire that works well everywhere but sticky mud, but they can be a bit squirmy on pavement when pushed hard in corners.

I've since switched to Shinko 244's (golden boy) They work just as good as the kenda 270's off road, last a bit longer, and are quite a bit cheaper. You can get a set for around $100 and they will last 3-5k on a rear and 5+ on the front. And they feel much more planted on the pavement. All in all a good compromise.
I have been waiting to hear a review of the 244's. I am currently running the kenda 270's. With the air down at about 18lbs. It works real well for me in dirt or on road. I heard the shinko 244 is everthing the 270 is, but better, has stiffer sidewalls for better cornering?

dolphins13 screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 06:27 PM
dolphins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #41
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,082
I have a Honda xr650r thats plated and does highway+ single track.It eats back tires.Best combo so far is a mt-21 front,shinko 244 rear.1 time I ran a pirelli xcmh front and mt21 rear .Mucho traction but the tires were gone at about 1000 miles.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #42
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins13 View Post
+1 I run 18lbs of pressure in the back and about 20 in front everywhere. The tire does all around good for me. You can find a better knobby or street tire. This tire works good all around with the right tire pressure. I first rode it with full air and it rode like crap. Slippin and sliddin on dirt and asphalt. Take the air down and they grip. Best of all they are fairly cheap. I heard the shinko 244 is like the kenda 270 but better? Havnt tried it yet. Anyone know about the 244 from experience?
I've run a Shinko 244 front. It sticks unbelievably well for me on pavement, feels stable on the slab, and works fine in moderate sand, grass, and gravel. In deep sugarsand, it's noticeably better than the stock TW41 on my DR650SE, but it's still no sand knobby. I can ride Ocala NF on it though. I just have to air it down. It lacks in damp clay and mud, where a true knobby is probably the only tire that would work well. It washes out on me a bit in the snot, aired up or down.

Versus the K270, the 244 allegedly doesn't last as long. Reports of 10K miles on the K270 rear are not unheard of. 244 rears are not often reported beyond 5-6K miles though. The side knobs on the 244 are supported better, so pavement cornering on these is reportedly more stable than on a K270. I can definitely say that a 244 front can corner on pavement. The 244 also tends to be cheaper. The K270 is slightly more open/aggressive, and the less-supported side knobs can reportedly feel a bit squirmy when cornering. I know that I don't feel any disconcerting squirm with a front 244. I have to flip mine around though. It's starting to wear unevenly, probably from my hooligan braking habits. The 3.00-21 size of 244 also has a fairly low speed rating. I don't know about the K270. I haven't had any issues from knocking down hundreds of slab miles at a crack though.

I just received my 2nd 244 front by UPS today. My existing one has a lot of miles left in it, so I won't change it anytime soon. I also have a K270 rear scheduled to arrive Monday. I'm hoping that it's as good of an all-around tire (slab, sand, mud, grass, rocks, rainy streets, longevity, economy, etc.) as my custom-grooved rear K761s...but without needing the grooving. I went ordering with the K270 rear, instead of a 244 rear, because the reported longevity and voids were better.

See youtube for vids of my grooved K761s. The most recent one worked well for me. I currently have 6K miles on it and it still has tread. I ride a lot of 2up too. When it slides, on wet pavement or off-pavement, it slides predictably. Lateral traction isn't the greatest offroad, but it will propel the DR through some nasty slop as long as the bike isn't resting on the skid/swingarm and/or pointed skyward...if I can just stay on the gas without plowing through a tree.

Kommando screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 08:18 PM
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #43
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
I started to order a rear for my DR...then noticed their sale price is $79.99 for the 5.10-18, but Kings' MSRP is only $54.94.

http://www.kingstire.com/KT-963Rear.htm
I tried to order a 5.10-17 for my DR too. OUT OF STOCK.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #44
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post

Me too. The 244 and the AMS Sand Snake are both easy for me. I almost don't even need levers, and I haven't tried the zip-tie method yet. I even laughed a little when it popped on the rim so easily.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #45
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
understand the 130-17" K-60 ($150) does not have a center bar at all, that could cause it to suck in the mud, like the 140-17" & 150-17" size . the design is like the original K60 and is more aggressive. make sure you're not hearing chatter about the 140 & 150 sizes at the 130 is very different in tread.
A $20-or-so grooving iron can fix that center bar thing on those wider sizes right quick. That's what I use on my K761s to groove their centers to full depth and to add grooves to the outer tread blocks. My K761 rears end up much like a poor man's K60. It only costs me around $60 to get a versatile 6K-mile (and counting) rear tire, so I'm pretty happy with the results.